project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
25 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 05:52 AM   #21
[R-CON]Psyrus
PR:BF2 Contributor
Default Re: Would this computer run PR Mac book Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
I didnt read anything about a graficcard? What are the specs of his video?
Apple - Why You?ll Love a Mac - Compare Mac notebook computers.

If he had a Macbook Air (13") it'd be fine with the 320m nvidia GPU, but the Intel HD 3000 is simply not sufficient. How do I know? I performance tested it on PR
[R-CON]Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #22
Duke
Retired Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
I didnt read anything about a graficcard? What are the specs of his video?
To elaborate on the above, the OP specified a 2.0 or 2.2 Ghz quad-core i7 processor. That's standard configuration for the 2011 15" Macbook Pro, whose graphics cards can easily run PR on all high.

He'd probably struggle on a 13" as Psyrus said, but the standard configuration for that is 2.3 Ghz dual core i5 or 2.7Ghz dual core i7 so unless the OP got the specs wrong he should be fine.

Process of elimination

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]Eggman - At one point it said Realtitty which I think was a Freudian...
Duke is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #23
[R-CON]Psyrus
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Duke View Post
To elaborate on the above, the OP specified a 2.0 or 2.2 Ghz quad-core i7 processor. That's standard configuration for the 2011 15" Macbook Pro, whose graphics cards can easily run PR on all high.
Sorry, but that's not strictly true. It was correct up until the bolded part, at which point things went horribly awry.

The standard config for the 15" MBP is actually an intel HD 3000 IGP, but let's pretend that isn't the case and it comes with the next step up which is a HD6490m [ranked 145th in notebook GPU power], which is by no means a slouch, but given the 3dmark scores that pale in comparison(*) to that of my brother's (desktop based) HD5770 which had dips below 60fps @ 1280x1024 on fallujah, I would posit that the HD6490 would not fare too favourably on high settings @ 1440x900. What do you think of this assertion?

Moving on to the top spec for the 15" macbook, it comes with a far more respectable HD6750m [ranked much higher @ 76th in power], which is at the top of the "mid range cards" echelon. This however is still bested in power by my brother's desktop based card, which again, at a comparable resolution did not handle PR @ maxed out settings smoothly (>=60fps).

Were the MBP to house a HD6770m or perhaps even a HD6870m, I would happily jump on the 'can max out PR on that laptop' bandwagon. That being said, were PR to be optimized and the niggling bottleneck found and removed (and I'm quite sure there is one, specifically CPU bound), I would be happy to revise my contention that the MBP even in maximum config would struggle with PR0.95 @ maxed out settings.

(*) The test in that review was carried out with an overclocked i7 920, which would skew the results up versus the MBP's crippled notebook processor variant. That being said, my brother runs an overclocked Q6600 (3.2ghz), which should compare rather favorably to a mobile i7 of today.

Source:
- http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-...ist.844.0.html
- http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/notebooks.html
Last edited by [R-CON]Psyrus; 07-02-2011 at 11:08 AM..
Old 07-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #24
Duke
Retired Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyrus View Post

The standard config for the 15" MBP is actually an intel HD 3000 IGP, but let's pretend that isn't the case and it comes with the next step up which is a HD6490m [ranked 145th in notebook GPU power], which is by no means a slouch, but given the 3dmark scores that pale in comparison(*) to that of my brother's (desktop based) HD5770 which had dips below 60fps @ 1280x1024 on fallujah, I would posit that the HD6490 would not fare too favourably on high settings @ 1440x900. What do you think of this assertion?
Actually, all MBPs of 15" or higher come with two graphics cards including the intel HD 3000 and the AMD HD6490M (for the lowest spec 15" option). The laptop switches between the two to maximise battery life.

My assertion was based on the fact that i've been running PR on all medium/high (4x AA, no AF) @ 1440x900 with a 09 model MBP for the last 2 years at >30 fps. Note that the 09 model has a considerably worse GPU (GeForce 9600M GT) and processor (2.8 Ghz Core 2 Duo).

I think its a safe bet that the newer model MBP should get a bump on that, and at the very least have all settings on high, by which im not including maxing out AA or AF. It depends on your definition of 'all high' i suppose, but for me thats all settings on 'high' excluding AA and AF, and running at >30 fps for the vast majority of maps. Fallujah is not the best example as its hardly representative of PR as a whole, and has problems that are very specific to the map.

It's a laptop, so of course we're not talking super maxed out PC tower standard here, but both 15" models are certainly more than capable of running PR well and looking pretty whilst doing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Duke; 07-02-2011 at 12:00 PM..
Old 07-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #25
Dev1200

Tactile
1. Of or connected with the sense of touch.
2. Perceptible by touch

If he already has it: www.systemrequirementslab.com

Since it's new, it will run pr.

Only older systems will have troubles running PR, as long as you have windows on another partition, or something like that.

Last edited by Dev1200; 07-02-2011 at 12:21 PM..
Old 07-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #26
Duke
Retired Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev1200 View Post
Tactile
1. Of or connected with the sense of touch.
2. Perceptible by touch
Well BF2 has falcon support now, so he wasn't far off

Duke is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #27
Draakon
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberzomby View Post
On a side note: I also have an iPhone and with the new mobile OS and new Mac OS coming and the cloud sharing of calendars and files I really dont want to switch over and lose that functionality. Typical mac fanboy that Duke described. I'm really not against Windows or anything btw
I beg your pardon? Windows has the same functionality since the Internet was invented.

Qaiex: My solution was to not have twitter. You should try it. Feels good, and I don't miss any information that was worth hearing in the first place, since nothing on twitter ever is.
Draakon is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
book, computer, mac, pro, run