project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
xambone

Send a message via MSN to xambone Send a message via Skype™ to xambone
Default SNIPER SPOTTED!!! well almost...

I like what the Devs have done for the most recent patch. I enjoy the scopes system, the UAV (even though it CTD's), and the fact that you cant steal enemy kits like HAT and sniper...

Only thing is dont understand is the removal of the target or move marker icons after 125m... In real life i could point to the position of the sniper or enemy. As a squad leader I could direct on my map and then thru the players hud like the "good ole days". I just find it frustrating as hell when in real life (Project Reality) you should be able to have it back to where you can more easily express where the action or goal is for your squad.

My suggestion, Bring it back to the old way with the new patch. Or raise the distance to real life conditions, 500-700m before going to the new way. 125m is not fun or Realistic.

Anyone else notice this as a major drag with squad gameplay?
Anyone else have a suggestion ?
xambone is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
splatters

Default Re: SNIPER SPOTTED!!! well almost...

This has been discussed over thoroughly in many threads before. In my and many others' opinion the marker should be removed completely and only be shown on the map. And if you are say, on Mumble with your squad you should be able to point out the target almost as easily as in real life. Actually the constant compass in your HUD makes it in many cases much easier than real life.

But as always, there are of course people that disagree with this would like to see the objective marker reintroduced on longer ranges.
splatters is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Read any book talking about sniping etc in modern warfare and it seems to go much more like this

"Got a guy 600m NW by the low wall"
"I don't see him"
"you see the large building with red strips on the balcony?"
"seen"
"he's 20m to the left of it near a blue dumpster"
"seen"

when targets are more than 100m away IRL, pointing doesnt really cut it for precision, you can point the direction of a target, but its not pin point accurate, especially if you aren't standing directly behind the pointer.

So, we replicate it as much as we can ingame, nearer than 100m you get an exact position, further away you get a direction indicator on your compass.

getting magic markers is the lazy way to fight a war :P

just talk to your squad mates, give short concise pieces of information on where the shooter

I am very happy with the change because its finally stopped that freaking annoying lazyness in squads.

I'd go

"contact, enemy infantry in the apartments on our right front"
they'd go
"put a marker on it"

now, they listen more carefully and try and understand the battlefield more like a soldier would, rather than rely on the cruches that games have provided to players for years.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Smiddey723

Send a message via MSN to Smiddey723 Send a message via Yahoo to Smiddey723

agree with rudd, the new system also stops attack choppers, apcs and tanks firing over the view distance also which is a good thing

.:2p:.Smiddey
Smiddey723 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
xambone

Send a message via MSN to xambone Send a message via Skype™ to xambone

irl a-10 and cobra/apache can fire from safe distance much greater than pr currently allows, so that can be frustrating also for pilots
xambone is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
Smiddey723

Send a message via MSN to Smiddey723 Send a message via Yahoo to Smiddey723

Quote:
Originally Posted by xambone View Post
irl a-10 and cobra/apache can fire from safe distance much greater than pr currently allows, so that can be frustrating also for pilots
maybe realistic but from a gameplay pov that is ridiculous
for example a cobra hovering above the carrier on muttrah, impossible for MEC to shoot it down but easy for the cobra to score kills on the enemy which could also be classed as an exploit and you say its frustrating for pilots?

.:2p:.Smiddey
Smiddey723 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
Cassius
Supporting Member

I think the main reason was BVR Fire.

|TG|cap_Kilgore
Cassius is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xambone View Post
thats very true, several of the AA positions also have much larger ranges IRL than ingame.

the VD exists due to performance, and it is non-negotiable on that variable unfortunately, this makes it sculpt some of PR's gameplay.

The apache etc all have absolutely MIND BLOWING capabilities IRL, however its just not feasible to give them those capabilities either due to engine limitations, map sizes or gameplay.

anyway according to Ed Macy (in 'hellfire'), British Apaches at least can only legally fire (unless a specific exception is made) if you have eyes on target, I suspect that ROE like that might exist for other forces too.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

i was so one of those who kept saying.

PUT A MARKER ON IT

Yeah good work devs. I love the patches!

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
Mikemonster

But don't you think it adds to the 'teaching' aspect of PR in terms of character building?

I like the communication challenge, even if I fail sometimes. (.. Yes .. I know what you're going to say guys.. Shhhh)..

Mikemonster is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
sniper, spotted