project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
19 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #41
centralhigh76
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to centralhigh76 Send a message via Skype™ to centralhigh76
Default Re: 128 Tests: Feedback and Observations

Wicca I know that, my original suggestion was is it possible to have more squads other than more squad members. A few pages back they were talking about how they broke up into fire-teams 2 4man 'squads'. I'm just thinking it might be better to have more squads thats all.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #42
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar Ironclad View Post
Very true.

Another point I want to raise, at risk of skirting around one of my own rules: I know and accept that >64 player gameplay as part of the main mod is quite a ways off, but are 8-man squads something that can be safely implemented in the mod sooner? I know personally I had an AMAZING time directing a disciplined 8-man infantry squad; I'd like to hear from more of the other folks that led squads.

If you want to respond to this line of discussion, quote this post.
8 man squads would require other changes such as kit limiting (e.g : 2 x MG's allowed if you have 8 men). Best we hold off until a decision is reached and implement it along with everything else.

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Old 01-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #43
KingKong.CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar Ironclad View Post
Very true.

Another point I want to raise, at risk of skirting around one of my own rules: I know and accept that >64 player gameplay as part of the main mod is quite a ways off, but are 8-man squads something that can be safely implemented in the mod sooner? I know personally I had an AMAZING time directing a disciplined 8-man infantry squad; I'd like to hear from more of the other folks that led squads.

If you want to respond to this line of discussion, quote this post.
Yes, so true.
8 ppl in the squad is far better than 6. You have all the kits you need... thou one more LAT would be nice.

To all the guys saying 4 men squad gives you more control... On a massive server, with 8 or 10 guys in the squad, squad leader is more important then ever, and from my experience, people I consider as "smurfs" saw that pretty fast. Also, playing on the massive server means you will not avoid having new guys or "smurfs" in your squad, but I don't think of that as a bad thing. On a 64 server, new guys had no chance playing with good squad leaders, cos their squads fill like in 3 seconds, top. By the time a new guy figures out it's the survival of the fastest joiners, it's too late.
But than again, having 4 newbies in the squad and 3 good players means that you can run that squad pretty much the same way you do with 4 ppl squad... The other 4 guys are there to see how things should be done, and to prove themselves. At least, with the squad of 8, you can have LMG, medic, HAT/LAT/marksman/grenadier that you can trust, and help 4 more rookies...

I know lots of guys playing this game that hate babysitting... and thats what 128 server came down to... but I strongly believe that is the way to go. New guys should have a proper chance to (if they want to) become a functional part of the team led by some of the best squadleaders/officers there are in the world of online wargames.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #44
=Romagnolo=

Send a message via MSN to =Romagnolo=

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto:"Cheers, you're the man, Okita"
[R-DEV]Rhino:"I in fact got kicked from a server for tking."
Hitperson:"well done, treasure it forever."
[R-DEV]Adriaan:"Damned classy Roma, if I may say so."
[R-DEV]Chuc:"Pro man, pro."
(yes, it was about me)
[R-MOD]BloodBane611:"Romagnolo, you definitely deserve a LOL award for that."
Old 01-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #45
Sniperdog
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Romagnolo= View Post
This picture made my day...

Just sayin.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #46
centralhigh76
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to centralhigh76 Send a message via Skype™ to centralhigh76

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahpingi View Post
for 6 players you will also need 2 humvee's,humvee wise that is.
Quote:
HAHA! I LOVE IT! But its worse when you have no internet strong enough to 'test' on that server :'( and see see everyone talk about how great it is.(Dial up = Gay, T1 that I just ordered Awesome )

Old 01-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #47
[R-CON]X1 Spriggan
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
Sure is fun quoting giant images

Quick Note- I think 8 man fire-teams inst going to be enough because there will always be that squad that will want to lock at 2 guys. ( assuming PR does choose to have 128 players.

My vote is to have Squads up to 12 or even 14. Will be hard to argue this. It is something just as crazy as the increased player count alone.

[17:21] Falkun: im making spaghetti
[17:21] Falkun: lal
[17:22] Falkun: i'll put some in an envelope for you
Old 01-31-2011, 12:14 AM   #48
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

lol, romagnolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]X1 Spriggan View Post
Quick Note- I think 8 man fire-teams inst going to be enough because there will always be that squad that will want to lock at 2 guys. ( assuming PR does choose to have 128 players.

My vote is to have Squads up to 12 or even 14. Will be hard to argue this. It is something just as crazy as the increased player count alone.
We're looking into increasing the amount of squads that can be made as well.

As for the individual squad limit. Well 8 is one of the more common squad/section sizes in reality (consisting of 2 x 4 man fireteams). The only faction in-game I can think of that would go up to the size your suggesting is the USMC (13 men).

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Old 01-31-2011, 12:36 AM   #49
[R-CON]X1 Spriggan
PR:BF2 Contributor

Bias aren't I

It is hard to tell how mister average player is going to behave on such a high squad player amount. If I were to make my super long winded argument with a million theoretical situations, my main points would be "squad agendas" and "VOIP discipline". I'll keep this super short.

1 vs 1 squads ( the lets kill bad guys agenda)

If squads were set to 8, the only real discernible difference in the fire fights AT THE TIME is that they are longer. However, because there are so many fuller squads now meandering around the map running into each other, firefight intervals will be insanely frequent. Its like 6 man squads but really really frequent.

If squads were set to 12, this could reduce the overall frequency of squad based fire fights AND make the fire fights AT THE TIME seem much longer and feel bigger scaled.

------

People who argue, "I don't want to manage a squad 12 people who won't shut up" need to understand that Mumble is something that NEEDs to be directly implemented into the game. If squads were set to 12 and people understood the -use VOIP only to talk about super important things- and used mumble much more frequently, then of course mumble will more easily assimilated by the PR player base.

[17:21] Falkun: im making spaghetti
[17:21] Falkun: lal
[17:22] Falkun: i'll put some in an envelope for you
Last edited by [R-CON]X1 Spriggan; 01-31-2011 at 12:41 AM..
Old 01-31-2011, 12:45 AM   #50
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

the 8 person stuff is all dependant on if the PR player can adapt using vehicles that only carry 8 people, chopper squadrons rather than 1 chopper, APC convoys, rather than 1 APC...

Can we do it, that is the question, more squads would work around our vehicular limitations imo.

Closed Thread

Tags
128, feedback, observations, player, tests