project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
19 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #21
Zoddom

Send a message via ICQ to Zoddom
Default Re: Does anyone here use those 5.1 or 7.1 headset?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevski View Post
Armour I can hear before anyone else in my sqd usually and can also pinpoint the direction perfectly across great distances.
well that cant be true since its an engine/game restriction and has nothing to do with the headphones.
hmm well i think the medusa is still pretty expensive, and i just bought my audigy SE and dont want to throw it away for a XFi card which is 5 times as expensive.
but my point was, are there any surrond headsets with 3,5mm plugs? it seems so.
does anyone know if theres a difference in the ability to pinpoint a sound in older games like CS? because when im honest i dont care about that in PR, in CS its much more important, and i still seem to have problems with my stereo headset, although my brother doesnt and hes got stereo too... :/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zoddom is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #22
Oddsodz

Yes he can hear them long before most players. And here is why. The x-Fi use the top EAX system along with openAL. This is what BF2 game engine was designed to use for sound. Now most onboard/cheap sound cards use a lower version of EAX and don't use openAL. And so sound is not rendered the same and is of a lower quality. Add some cheap head sets and you lose out every time. I Myself now run just a normal 7.1 speaker system. And I still beat most players to where and what is coming. Because I have a high end x-fi. But as soon as I can get my hands on some. I will get a set of Medusa 5.1

Censorship is Ugly
Oddsodz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #23
Zoddom

Send a message via ICQ to Zoddom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddsodz View Post
Yes he can hear them long before most players. And here is why. The x-Fi use the top EAX system along with openAL. This is what BF2 game engine was designed to use for sound. Now most onboard/cheap sound cards use a lower version of EAX and don't use openAL. And so sound is not rendered the same and is of a lower quality. Add some cheap head sets and you lose out every time. I Myself now run just a normal 7.1 speaker system. And I still beat most players to where and what is coming. Because I have a high end x-fi. But as soon as I can get my hands on some. I will get a set of Medusa 5.1
well then it only depends on the soundcard, not on the headphones. and when im honest i still believe i can point out position with a stereo headset just as good as with more than 2 speakers.
which Xfi card would you recommend?

Zoddom is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #24
Oddsodz

5.1/7.1 beats stereo every time. No if's, no butt's. As for what x-Fi card to buy? Not sure it is worth it now a days. Due to the lack of d3d for sound in DirectX11 and the fact that all new games now use a software rendered sound systems. It's not really worth getting one now for gaming and you will not see any real benefit. Only older games will make use of it. Like BF2 or BF2142. As long as you happen to have a good sound receiver using Coax or Optical digital outputs, then there is no need to get one unless you really are a hardcore player for PR. Remember, New games don't use all the extra cool stuff that the x-Fi offers. So the price of getting one has to be weighted up as they are still very expensive. As for witch one to get. The most expensive one you can. But don't get the "x-Fi music" as that does not have the CPU saving "X-RAM" that really does make a difference in FPS in BF2/BF2142.

Censorship is Ugly
Oddsodz is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
headset