project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
23 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Human_001

Default Chat in Server

I been playing BF2 for long time and about 2 to 3 years for Project reality.

A mystery I can never solve is why many of server hosts make rule say no "chat spamming". This isn't only true in some server alone, but its common among almost any server. Basically they don't like people to chat about random things, or even chat about that game round related chats if chat is constantly scrolling.

This is complete mystery to me. Why 4 Red and Blue lines on small portion of top left corner of screen bothers server hosts as well as some players so much?

Some say I can't contact with my team. But we should be using VOIP and SL-Commander communication relay for those. But I do understand if chat is scrolling constantly and had to type something to entier friendly team, this can be hard.

Chat is simply fun. Just like Mumble. I really don't understand this.
If universal chat system is infact so bad, why don't we remove it or make it into another window like map screen etc? (hard coded?)
If this feature is infact so troublesome why do game makers put it in to begin with?

As I typed above I remembered one other question. I also don't understand "policing" in server.

Now I understand sometime player come online and purposely ruins the FPS game by TKing, destroying friendly asset etc. But why is there this sense of "If you do something I (host) don't like I will ban you for fun". (I don't know if that is correct way to describe. At least from my point of view I have felt this way since I started playing FPS.)
I never hosted server my self. Is it infact so hard and costly to host a game server people tends to become like so? I also read in user agreement for this forum, something vaguely like 'you don't have 1st amendment on this forum. We host this server and we control, so and so'.. So is this more like tradition for online community?

I am making this thread right after I got kickedfrom H hardcore server for "spamming chat". No I don't have grudge against it or anything. But that actually reminded me to post this age old question I had and forgot to ask.

I know on this forum is tons of server administrators and people who hosts server as well as people who hosts this forum it self. I don't understand why I didn't asked about this up to this point.

Thank you in advance. Expecting alot of answers.

Edit:
I am worried so I'm making this edit. I don't mean to be offensive to anyone. I am asking question for real. But as I read through my post carefully for 5th time with editing, making sure it sound as I intended, I felt this could get mistaken with somemthing wrote in bad intention, such as complaining after getting kicked from server. I do understand I am not best at writing.
Last edited by Human_001; 10-07-2010 at 07:52 AM..
Old 10-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
gazzthompson

Default Re: Chat in Server

1. When reading i couldn't help but think "hes just been kicked for this and is raging". The i saw the end.

2.The chat can be distracting and intrusive , it sits in the center of the screen (wouldn't say top left)and long sentences can pop out real far into the middle (at work, cant screenshot) of the screen. With multiple people chatting it can and is distracting, even if they are talking about the game.

During times of "chat spam" people tend to ignore the chat, thus missing actual important stuff being said. Its a game server, not a discussion board.

"If universal chat system is infact so bad, why don't we remove it or make it"

Rather than remove it... have rules to stop its abuse ? sound familiar?

"If you do something I (host) don't like I will ban you for fun"

Normally the "stuff" is shown in the server rules, how ever stupid they are.. follow them and you should not have problems with admins (though some do kick/ban for the sake of it of course)

gazzthompson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
Boris.T.Spider
Supporting Member

One would guess:

<TEAM> Guys dont take that logi up the main drag there is an APC camping from docks!
<ALL> OMG Cobra just got PWND!
<ALL> STFU!
<ALL> I got lagz that how you kill me!
<ALL> Fail Cobra is Fail!!!1!
<ALL> LOL@Cobra!
<ALL> HAHA LOGI GOT PWND!!
<TEAM> Guys I just got killed on the main drag by an APC camping from docks!!
Boris.T.Spider is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
kaufman_23

i dont mind trash talk in main chat. for example when you take out an important asset. thats just part of the game. but when you start arguing about something that is not relevant to the game itself, thats just spam, and you shouldnt do it, couse youre disrupting the gameplay

kaufman_23 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
MikeDude

ALL CHAT= For really important gameplay or server related issues.
TEAM CHAT= For really important team related issues.
Squad chat= For really important Squad related issues.

Notice me using the word ''Important'' allot.
If you use these chats for any other reason. People will start getting enoyed of it since it ''distracts'' them.
And if you are unlucky, there could be a admin having a bad day. (Which admins on ]H[ Seem to have allot ^^ (No offence))

[3dAC] MikeDude
Loving PR since 0.2.
MikeDude is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
Herbiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris.T.Spider View Post
One would guess:

<TEAM> Guys dont take that logi up the main drag there is an APC camping from docks!
<ALL> OMG Cobra just got PWND!
<ALL> STFU!
<ALL> I got lagz that how you kill me!
<ALL> Fail Cobra is Fail!!!1!
<ALL> LOL@Cobra!
<ALL> HAHA LOGI GOT PWND!!
<TEAM> Guys I just got killed on the main drag by an APC camping from docks!!
This is the reason lol,

important stuff happens in Team Chat, though yeah sometimes some banter in all chat is quite fun when everything's pretty quiet it can also lead to arguments, flaming etc. So some server's don't like it. A little bit is alright, but when it gets to the point that you can't see anything except all chat (Btw guys you can press console [`] & see older messages) it's just stupid.

Herbiie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Boris.T.Spider
Supporting Member

Yeah, I agree banter is fun, but you cannot see what is going on on the other teams team chat. So if they tell you to cut chat spam, cut it, no arguments.
Boris.T.Spider is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
[R-MOD]Spec
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Boris nailed it. If someone writes a mine warning or sth, that should stay on the screen for as long as possible, not get pushed away by people chatting about the weather or whatever.

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
Human_001

Appreciate you all for the replies.

I read all the replies carefully. So what I'm understanding is

1. Because it is "Distracting" (Distracting I really don't get this one. How can those be so distracting? I mean, With little sense of humor I can say, If that is enough to distract you from playing, suppression effect should work as intended. Is this "distracting" visual or psychological? Like if there is chat, I must read it all?)
2. Because it makes team chat harder to see.

It's not quite answering my question guys.

I thank all the help you guys gave me so far. But I have to wait and see what others can tell me.

I mean, those can't be the center of all this. Most of server hosts tell clients 'do not chat random' like as if every random chat costs them nickel and dime.
Human_001 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
gazzthompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human_001 View Post
It's not quite answering my question guys.
You have been giving your answer, its distracting and annoys people. thats why servers dont like it... its a game server, not a discussion board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human_001 View Post
Is this "distracting" visual or psychological? Like if there is chat, I must read it all?)
Visual, people don't like unnecessary shit on their screen when they are trying to play. and should you read it all? no you start to ignore it, then miss important stuff being said .... back to the "distracting and annoying" bit.

gazzthompson is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
chat, server