project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
26 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Wh33lman

Default LAV-25 vs AAV

this question has been eating away at me since i saw the the AAV. why is the AAV replacing the LAV in PR? is the LAV being phased out? the the AAV better? is it simply to get rid of the vanilla model?

please dont lock my thread before i get an answer, its killing me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my Youtube channel!

Wh33lman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Zrix
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: LAV-25 vs AAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh33lman View Post
this question has been eating away at me since i saw the the AAV. why is the AAV replacing the LAV in PR? is the LAV being phased out? the the AAV better? is it simply to get rid of the vanilla model?

please dont lock my thread before i get an answer, it driving me nuts!
As far as I know, it's not replacing the LAV completely, just where it is more realistic to use the AAV.

Zrix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Its quite a few things tbh.

First of all the LAV-25 isn't a true APC, its more of a recon vehicle. In r/l it can only transport 4 guys in the back iirc (need to check with the MAs if you want the full info) and we only had it being able to transport 6 guys ingame so it acted like an APC, but with the addition of the AAVP7A1 there was no need.

The AAV7 is also a much more realistic vehicle for most of the maps the USMC are in, since most of them are actually amphibious assault maps, a LAV-25 being part of them dosen't make that much sense since they are amphibious, but are not designed to be able to travel in rough seas like the AAV7 is, its more just for crossing small rivers etc.

The LAV-25 isn't being Phased out as such, but I dont think its in any maps in v0.95 but that dosen't mean we wont see it in PR in the future acting as a Recon vehicle, just need the right map and setup for it.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
[R-DEV]Rudd
Supporting Member

ocean assault = AAV

everything else = whatever is appropriate

[R-DEV]Rudd is online now Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
communistman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh33lman View Post

please dont lock my thread before i get an answer, its killing me!
Let me try to answer this in the order presented:

why is the AAV replacing the LAV in PR?

Speaking from a point of realism (which is relevant considering this mod is called Project Reality), it's much more common to see Marines fighting from AAVs than LAVs. Aside from the point that AAVs are used for ship-launched amphibious landings, they also spend more time around line infantry companies than LAVs. AAVs are not organic to the Marine infantry battalion, rather, AAV formations are attached to infantry outfits for task-specific operations. This means, beyond an amphibious landing, infantry Marines will be riding inland and fighting from AAVs on sustained land operations. LAVs are not attached to line infantry units, they are organic to LARs - Light Armored Reconnaissance battalions, where their role is more akin to recon, surveillance, and maneuvering/transportation of scouts. So in the scenarios we see in PR, AAVs make more sense, realistically.

is the LAV being phased out?

The question has been answered by DEVs but I assume not, as long as we get a map that hosts a scenario where a LAR unit in combat would be plausible.

[Is]the the AAV better?

AAV and LAV are two different vehicles for two different roles. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. For example; LAV is faster and is able to take out BTRs relatively well with the 25 Bushmaster. AAV will likely do better off-road, and has an armament layout more suited to supporting infantry in combat (not to mention it carries a crap ton of troops, about a whole platoon's worth, irl). An interesting question, as I was skeptical on another thread related to this discussion about how PR players will receive the AAV, and the difficulties they'll have adopting it for use, as it is certainly and decisively NOT in the same category as LAVs, and is not made to handle the same roles.
communistman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
Acemantura

Send a message via Skype™ to Acemantura

Well to Add my two cents: When I think of AAV I think Marines.

Its just that since we have played vBF2, we have forgotten that the LAV has a much different role to play.

My Questions:
1. Will the AAV have the front flap deployed when its in the water?

2. Will we be able to fire from the removable roof? (a "ctrl" toggle or something)

Acemantura is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
Hunt3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
The LAV-25 isn't being Phased out as such, but I dont think its in any maps in v0.95 but that dosen't mean we wont see it in PR in the future acting as a Recon vehicle, just need the right map and setup for it.
Wait, what happened to the LAV-25s on Fallujah? And the LAV-3s for Yamalia and Archer?

Hunt3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

The LAV-3 and Stryker are not effected since they are for different factions and they are also true APCs unlike the LAV-25.

The LAV-25 on Fallujah I'm pretty sure is being replaced by the AAVP7A1, iirc they where much more common in the Fallujah.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #9
Conman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
The LAV-3 and Stryker are not effected since they are for different factions and they are also true APCs unlike the LAV-25.

The LAV-25 on Fallujah I'm pretty sure is being replaced by the AAVP7A1, iirc they where much more common in the Fallujah.
LAV3 and LAV 25 are like the same things though arent they?

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Mark Twain

Conman51 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:04 AM   #10
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

No they are very different. The LAV-3 and Stryker are pretty much the same thing (other than one has a 25mm turret and the other dosen't) hence why I mentioned the Stryker.

Tags
aav, lav25