project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
30 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 01:40 AM   #11
Truism
Default Re: LAV-25 vs AAV

The LAV-25 is an armoured recce platform. The LAV-PC is the troop carrying variant of it. The version you see in the game is a mangled hybrid - it's not actually an LAV-25 or an LAV-PC but retains the 25mm chaingun of the gun car 25 and some of the pax transport capability of the PC variant.

I for one am sick of seeing gun cars being used as APCs and look forward to having more distinct differences between APCs, amphibious assault vehicles, IFVs and light armoured vehicles.

SSGTSEAL <headshot M4> Osama

Counter-Terrorists Win!
Truism is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:31 AM   #12
communistman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsner View Post
thanks communistman,your answer is good.
Sure! I figure--what's the point of posting a response if you don't successfully answer the question, right?

In any case, Based on what I know about the AAV7 (and, if it counts, my experience using them in other games, most notably Combat Mission: Shock Force), this thing will do best as infantry support in the form of transportation and overwatch. As a battle taxi and as a weapons platform used as overwatch from (preferably) stand-off ranges, meaning outside the danger zone of RPGs and with enough room to see bomb cars coming. The 40mm *might* be able to disable the BTRs (especially mobility kills, if this is possible with the BF2 engine*), but its important to remember that the AAV is by no means an AT capable platform.

Just remember:

Avoid enemy armor
Stay at Stand-off range
Support your infantry
HAT support should be nearby on AAS maps to protect you from armor threats

So they might be difficult to use well on maps like Fallujah, Muttrah, where good stand-off positions are hard to come by, but they'll be a beauty on maps like Karbala, where long-distance infantry transport is crucial and there is plenty of ground between you and the city. That 40mm would decimate villages...

And yes, I did write that so it spells, "ASSHAT". Now, whenever an AAV squad is made in game in .95, I want squadleaders telling their crews, "Remember! ASSHAT!"

*I know mobility kills are possible in PR, by, "if this is possible with the BF2 engine", I was referring to whether or not the game engine could simulate an un-compromised hull, but wheels torn to all holy-hell.

Addendum: "Will we be able to fire from the removable roof? (a "ctrl" toggle or something)"

I'm gonna say, no. Just because the feature exists in vehicles like the LAV series, and the stryker for example, but isn't in the game. It would seem technically possible to add "air guard" positions to vehicles i.e. like turrets without mounted guns that you can crouch into, but for one reason or another its not like that and my intuition tells me it won't be.
Last edited by communistman; 09-21-2010 at 03:39 AM..
Old 09-21-2010, 03:50 AM   #13
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

The 40mm grenades can penetrate armour and are a serious threat to light armoured APCs, although you need to get a direct hit for the grenade to penetrate, just having the rounds explode next to the APC wont do anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:17 AM   #14
communistman

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
The 40mm grenades can penetrate armour and are a serious threat to light armoured APCs, although you need to get a direct hit for the grenade to penetrate, just having the rounds explode next to the APC wont do anything.
True. Under the very best conditions, the 40mm (the AAV's heaviest armament), assuming it's loaded with HEDP, could penetrate almost 2 inches of steel, when fired at medium-close range, at a 0 degree angle. Long story short I'd estimate that this translate roughly to taking on anything more than a BTR=almost complete suicide, and a sure no-go for a conservative armor player like myself. Keep the AT assets near!
communistman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:26 AM   #15
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

There where reports of AAVs taking out quite heavily armoured vehicles in the Iraq war, can't remember what vehicles now but I was surprised when I heard it. Anyone know what it was?

Also the Mk19 dosen't fire ordinary 40mm grenades, will have to have the MAs fill you in on excatly what they fire thou.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:02 AM   #16
communistman

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Also the Mk19 dosen't fire ordinary 40mm grenades, will have to have the MAs fill you in on excatly what they fire thou.
I believe they use mainly this old boy:

M430 HEDP (high-explosive, dual-purpose)

Like I said, those numbers represent penetration capability under unrealistically ideal conditions, and I think they're a bit optimistic in any case, but I stand ready to be corrected by a Marine whose actually fired the thing
communistman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:25 AM   #17
Predator.v2

Just IF that will be the case, would "It arms between 18 to 30 meters" mean, you just have to get in very close combat as BTR or MTLB vs AAVs?
Predator.v2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #18
Gosu-Rizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator.v2 View Post
Just IF that will be the case, would "It arms between 18 to 30 meters" mean, you just have to get in very close combat as BTR or MTLB vs AAVs?
That sounds about right. You could also engange at very long range, since it will be alot harder to hit with a grenade than with the autocannons at longer range.
Gosu-Rizzle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #19
usmcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by communistman View Post
I believe they use mainly this old boy:

M430 HEDP (high-explosive, dual-purpose)

Like I said, those numbers represent penetration capability under unrealistically ideal conditions, and I think they're a bit optimistic in any case, but I stand ready to be corrected by a Marine whose actually fired the thing
that thing is so badass.

usmcguy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #20
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Yeah Mk19's are loaded with HEDP rounds and we've modelled that. You can take out APC's but only with direct hits....which are hard to achieve at long ranges due to the significant spread of the rounds. Infantry and light vehicles will be pretty damn scared of the AAV7 specifically because of the Mk19. It's scarier than 25-30mm autocannons firing HE-I rounds for several of reasons....
  • The projectiles have the same kill/wound radius as 40mm UGL's in-game currently
  • They're fired at 300rpm
  • They have a lob trajectory meaning you can both fire indirectly and land rounds inside cover

It's a good thing we're only having automatic grenade launchers premier in a limited fashion on one vehicle. People will see why we're a little reluctant to put them everywhere.

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Jaymz is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
aav, lav25