project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
24 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
Historyman

Default Usage of SAW and LMG in AR Class

I am a bit confused by the current assignment to various AR classes. Why is it that Some forces (US, UK, China etc) Use a SAW for their AR class, while Others use LMG's (Russia, , IDF) While I understand that each army is different, the choices seem to be a bit odd. For example, why isn't the much lighter and maneuverable RPK-74 used for the Russian forces AR Kit. I find it had to believe that each individual squad would be issued a large and unwieldy PKM as the Squad's Automatic Weapon. Again, might be the truth AFAIK, but just seems odd.

Are there plans to separate LMG and SAW kits in the future?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
Skull
Default Re: Usage of SAW and LMG in AR Class

first of all, the pkm is not a lmg, it fires a 7.62 catridge. that makes it a mg. lmg - light machine gun indicates a calibre smaller than that, most of the time 5.56 (m249).
the word saw doesnt mean anything, its just a - american introduced - now widely spread word for the suppression weapon used in small groups of infantry. any lmg or mg can be a saw.
the reason why the pkm is used is exactly that it has a bigger catridge, used for penetration of cover etc. im pretty sure the russian or similar forces use the rpk aswell, its just not included in pr:bf2 yet. several other armies use 7.62 saw aswell (austria: mg74, germany: mg3, in pr: mec: mg3).
the americans use the lmg instead of a heavier version because of their other way of infantry fighting, a saw in the american army is like to be in cqb from time to time, where a mg would be just to unhandy. in more open areas the americans rely on their vehicle strength, thats why they dont a mg as a saw.

regards, skull

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is Temporary, Pride stays forever. - Unknown
Old 09-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
quaazi

Just adding, at the time my dad was in the Soviet forces about the time of Afghanistan, doctrine called for the squad (the equivalent of one in the soviet forces) designated marksman (effectively the AR) to carry an RPK and an AK. Nothing heavier than that.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
[R-MOD]Jigsaw
Forum Moderator

Please try searching the forums and in fact just doing some research elsewhere on your topic before creating any more threads like this. This subject has been discussed many times, the reason primarily is asymmetrical balance mixed with realism.

For example, the RPK-74 is not used by the Russian Armed Forces and therefore will not be used by them in PR. As Skull has correctly pointed out the term "SAW" is simply an American term for what is actually classed as an LMG, so in essence they are one and the same.

The idea of splitting AR's into an LMG and HMG class has been discussed many times.

Locked.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end... "
Closed Thread

Tags
class, lmg, usage