project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
19 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #21
Beowulf2525
Default Re: Are insurgents too conventional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaazi View Post
La-deeda....THIS:

One other issue regards the maps and the engine itself, so it's not very likely to be changed, but good to be discussed nonetheless. Now, in citymaps, how many buildings are actually accessible? I mean, apart from the apartment complexes everyone knows by heart and a few small, one-room buildings, there are actually very few buildings to seek cover in, fire upon enemies from and so forth. Urban combat should be a NIGHTMARE of epic proportions, not just running from garden to garden. Should blufor decide to move into a city, they should be in deep shit, paranoid about every building, every nook and cranny. Again, it's a matter of providing insurgency with more options to combat the bigass guns of blufor.
I completely agree with this. More structures need to be open for players to use. The more buildings players can enter, the harder it will be for BluFor to steamroll the insurgents because they will have to do more searching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaazi View Post
Essentialy, all changes should boil down to this - give blufor more firepower and mobility (that is, give them the assets needed to blow ins skyhigh and get out of there when the jobs done, something that the blufor already has really), and give insurgency more flexibility and stealth (which is, allow them to blend in with the environment, (dis)engage at will, and the resources to hurt the enemy while doing it), while reducing they staying power to make sure that whenever they're drawn into a standard convenctional skirmish, they get slaughtered. Make ins rely on brains, not brawn, and make blufor rely on fancy assets, co-ordination and sheer firepower.
BluFor doesn't need any more assets. Changes to what they are might be more appropriate, but not additional ones.

A major problem with the insurgency game style is many players simply don't know how to do it. The insurgent players really need to play like insurgents for it to work. As it is, they still play conventionally because that's all they know how to do. The insurgents could actually act like insurgents if a few changes were made, if possible. Namely:

1) If the teams can be set to be NOT balanced, it would be good. The insurgents really need to have additional players. This would allow them to not be steamrolled by the technologically superior BluFor. While not realistic (since Coalition Forces severely outnumber insurgents), as was stated earlier, there simply isn't the ability to blend in with a crowd due to there not being one. So, counter it with additional Insurgent forces...if possible to code purposely off-set teams.

2) Could there be Bot civilians implemented on the servers? They wouldn't be actual players on the score list, but simply autonomous objects that have a code being: Move here, move here, move here, repeat. BluFor faces penalties for killing civilians, as it is now.

If these changes were made, again, if possible, I think it would help insurgent players actually act like an insurgency.

Squad Leader: "Guys, just shut up and start shooting!"
Beowulf2525 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #22
dtacs
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf2525 View Post
A major problem with the insurgency game style is many players simply don't know how to do it. The insurgent players really need to play like insurgents for it to work. As it is, they still play conventionally because that's all they know how to do.
I know how to play as an Insurgent, but operating a squad conventionally absolutely rocks, and gives the Insurgents more of a chance. The cell mentality as a squad means that you can overwhelm enemies by rushing up to them in a civi car, getting out, and just using sheer numbers to destroy the objective.

I would honestly prefer an actual insurgency but like I said previously, its impossible to represent in really any game engine today.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:08 PM   #23
quaazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf2525 View Post
2) Could there be Bot civilians implemented on the servers? They wouldn't be actual players on the score list, but simply autonomous objects that have a code being: Move here, move here, move here, repeat. BluFor faces penalties for killing civilians, as it is now.
If this feature were implemented, I'd literally hunt down the programmer responsible and literally kiss his/her (probably his, though ) ass.
quaazi is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
conventional, insurgents