project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
17 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
[SMAK]Potatohead
Default Re: Snipers and personal experience

I've had success using the sniper kit as leader of the air asset squad on maps like kashan, and lasing and marking targets for the A-10/Apache, as well as shooting people that would threaten the air assets (tow/AA operators and AA kit). I don't think using the sniper in its own squad would be quite so successful, as you've got no proper communication with your heavy assets.
[SMAK]Potatohead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:29 PM   #12
=]H[=TangFiend
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to =]H[=TangFiend

In earlier versions of Project Reality the sniper squad's role as pure recon was fantastic. The pass up to the commander was very useful to the team

The marginalization of the commander spot because of .8xgen changes + PR:Mumble with it's squad leader channel has in turn left the role of the sniper squad in limbo.

As it stands right now. A small squad acting stealthy can inflict as much damage on the enemy team's tickets in CQB as the best sniper/spotter set.

Back to the thread title. . I think the ol' locked sniper squad is going the way of the dinosaur.

It's for the best, more rifles on the ground instead of wannabe idiots in the hills
=]H[=TangFiend is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #13
-Prowler-

Myself and a few othher TMP members were doing tthis the other night on Muttrah, we had 2 sniper kits, and an SL. SL spotted for both of us, marked targets, and was constantly on the SL channel in mumble.

We managed to kill atleast 3 full enemy squads, and where able to supress an enemy FOB, until infantry could move in and finish it off. We were also able to spot NME TOW and LAV, relaying that info to our APC's.

It can work, you just need people working together, we were all in a TS together, had VOIP and mumble.

"Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at."
-Prowler- is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:38 AM   #14
BlackwaterSaxon

One thing that did cross my mind after starting this thread was that there is one way to make snipers more effective... make the commander position more desirable.

It sounds strange but the majority of the servers I've been in, full servers, have lacked a commander, and everyone seems to be unwilling to step up to the plate, since sniper squads and any squad generally require a commander to sustain multi-squad cohesion, surely making the commander position more desirable for people would allow sniper squads to flourish again. Most of the positive comments on this thread regarding snipers rely on those snipers reporting back intel, how do you do that unless you're well acquainted with mumble or use a third party system such as vent or ts?

I do enjoy being a sniper on certain maps, and I believe that they may still offer an important role on the battlefield, but without a commander, sniper squads are pointless, couple this with the fact that there is so much armour on maps that any sniper position is quickly flushes out by armour, and the sniper position becomes nothing more than a couple kills before you're dropped and forced to either wait for the rifle to come up again for request, or go it with a standard rifle.

BlackwaterSaxon is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:21 AM   #15
alberto_di_gio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Jam View Post
...Jumped out of my chair in excitement when I hit a guy sprinting at 910m
how did u even see him?

alberto_di_gio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:25 AM   #16
Arnoldio
Banned

There is some useful stuff in snipers, but you've got to have really good com connection with the sniper and vice versa.
Arnoldio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:32 AM   #17
alberto_di_gio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChizNizzle View Post
There is some useful stuff in snipers, but you've got to have really good com connection with the sniper and vice versa.
most of the time people are just ignoring snipers. probably most of the people just say "oh another lone-wolfer. ok who else do we have?" I love playing sniper but until now never got an support request other than laze.

alberto_di_gio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #18
Captain Corallis

I have used the two man locked sniper squad on Gaza beach and i found it incredibly effective. We got on top of the hotel and covered the merkava from rpg teams as it made its way up the beach, with my SL calling out targets both to me and to the surrounding forces.

Cpt Corallis
Captain Corallis is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #19
Truism

The sniper kit has been marginalised almost out of existence. For ranges inside 600m, an AR kills better every time. For recon, there's no reason to use it over either an Officer kit or a Rifleman kit. For concealed direct fire support, a DM brings more utility to the squad. For sniping past 600m ironically a HAT is still better but rarely used these days because of the stigma 0.7x attached to HAT sniping.

The sniper kit is basically not very good. It's sexy though and sniping has always been associated with leetness, so people will use it even if it reeks of fail and turd. Good snipers can still achieve respectable scores, but good players can achieve so much more for a team with other classes and assets. The class is in dire need of a revamp and from all appearances isn't going to get it soon. And I've been whinging about it for literally years now.

SSGTSEAL <headshot M4> Osama

Counter-Terrorists Win!
Truism is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #20
WNxSarge

The sniper kit is epic if used correctly.
On Beruit I was a IDF sniper as part of a 5 man squad, when the chopper landed I could clearly see who the medic and squad leader where, my squad would open fire on them and I killed the medic. The rest of the team I kept them pinned in a block of buildings while my squad advanced while i co-ordinated with them. The Russians lost without even grabbing a flag.

But it would be lot more useful to have a commander in play, as I often call in troop movement and asset movement. But if we don't have a commander my spotter calls it in over teamchat. But it's teamchat and things can easily be missed hence the effectiveness of even normal squad intel chatter gets lost.

But admittedly the sniper kit often falls into the wrong hands, like l33t sepc ops snipers on insurgenty that take a wonder too far away from any friendly ect.

Don't knock the sniper kit cause you've only ever seen it used badly, you need to see it under the right use, then it becomes somewhat overpowered...
WNxSarge is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
experience, personal, snipers