project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
23 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
Kristian
Default Thinking of Buying BF2 again.

Hello, my first post here, and I got something to ask you fellas.

years ago I had Battlefield 2, and I actually played it quite a lot, but after I got bored of it I sold it away and thought I would never need it again.

Then few days ago, I stumbled accross this mod google somehow, went to youtube and watced videos and gameplays, and got even more intrested.

Then yesterday I got all so tempted about this mod, that I went over steam store to see, how much it owuld cost me, and i found it pretty low price of 20€. (Steam is requirement for me, please do not suggest any other... game download.. umm.. thing?, thanks!)

Anyways, as it happens I am bit too.. "poor" at the very moment to buy Battlefield 2, If I would buy it, it would be only because of this mod (wow, think, a mod has allmost made me buy whole game!)

I have thought of working just a bit to get that 20€, but I need to know, if its worth it, so here are questions:

-Are there alot of public servers?
-Are there hackers in community..?
-Is there any performance drop compared to vanilla BF2?
-Are playes actually using teamwork on public servers?

Thanks to everyone in advance, really hope to get some good answers.
You guys got my mind in your hands, place words wiselly.

-Kristian
Kristian is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
myles

Default Re: Thinking of Buying BF2 again.

I think if you go to a game shop it should be much cheaper then steam as in most shops ive gone to its Bf2 on its own is only 5€.

to answer your qustions
There is over 100 public servers
No theres not alot i havent really myself encounterd any but i have seen like 1 video of someone hacking but really it is very very rare.
I think the preformance is better in PR
Teamwork is a must in PR its used in most rounds and a MIC is strongley recommended.

Check out my Project Reaity gamplay here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
myles is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
Redamare
Supporting Member

yea if you buy it used you can get it for like ... $10 USD cheep ... but yea its Very well maintained any hackers are usuialy banned .. public servers are mostly full about 10 severs full every day with smaller sub servers..

performance is about the same ... if you have any small problems just tweak your graphics to fit your computers abilities and YES
TEAMWORK is #1 priority Make sure you have a working microphone

weekends are a blast though thats when there are the most people playing its great lol.. i would reccomend getting a copy of BF2 again update to 1.5 patch and download PR

Redamare is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

Public servers:

PRSPY - server and player browser and tracker for Project Reality - create a buddy list - launch PR directly

Or game monitor.

Very few hackers I've been here over a year and don't think I've noticed one.

Performance; PR 0.9 is more 'hungry' than VBF but if you're machine is not to old and well set up and installed it should be fine.

Using a third party VOIP program called mumble enabling inter squad communications teamwork can be awesome, you can co ordinate with another squad to flank an objective, or watch as the pilot you spoke too strafes on your orders.

However not all servers have a majority of mumble users, the best are Project Mumble in Europe and Tactical gamer in the US, although I see Pelituka (sp.) in Finland is ever increasing, plus other servers such as UKWF are now running Mumble events.

The game is very cheap from Amazon, but you MUST have a microphone too.

Ninja'd by Redamare

check out films and the technical bits here first.
PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
stealth420

During the week monday - thursday you can find about 6 or 8 servers full at 64 players all the time.

On the weekends Friday thru sunday there is usually about 12 or 14 servers full at 64 players all the time.

Ive seeen hacking about 3 or 4 times, its very rare but it does happen. Its easy to spot them tho because they get like 50 kills 20 minutes into the round.

Ebay has BF2 for under 5 dollars.
stealth420 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
martov

I had to make the same decision about 2 years ago. I am pleased with my decision, it's the only game that has lasted years for me.

1) look at PRspy. many many full servers
2)yes, but they are very rare, I haven’t encountered one in 2 years.
3) YES, with capital letters. you WILL need a "powerful" (IE not an office system) system to run it. above all, 2gb of ram, some semi decent video card (I think a 8600gt should work) and a 4500+ processor (amd) or equivalent on INTEL platform (thats an aproximation)

4)you have to find a good squad, usually you will find 4 on each team (thats about 48 organized players), the other 16 may be on air support tasks, supply tasks, lonewolfing)
in some servers you may find more or less organization, but is fairly easy to find some teamwork oriented squad.

REMEBER:
PR is a slow game, make sure that you like slow paced games.
martov is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
kaufman_23

its worth every penny you spend
kaufman_23 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
ondbob

addictive....all i can say

go buy!
ondbob is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
Kristian

Whoa, so much feedback allready.
thanks guys, a really nice community.

Reason why I buy it from steam is that all my other games are in steam aswell, and its so much easier for me to carry a program around than 20 DVDs.

So, I have allready downloaded PR mod 0.9 (part 1 and 2)

I'd like to ask about the VOIP program.

How does it work?

C ya on the battlefield
Kristian is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
Pathfinder

It´s worth buying! Have so far never met any hackers, and the teamplay is great! <3
Pathfinder is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bf2, buying, thinking