project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
26 Nov 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #11
snooggums
Default Re: Advice for server admins everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05grottim View Post
Although a clan called commando bastards can hardly enforce a language rule lol.
If you are all illegitimate children and the bastards designation is accurate you sure could.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My

My

AnimalMother's
Old 09-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
*NwA*Orford

As co-owner of the *NwA* clan could i ask you to visit *NwA* Clan to air your views.

although I will reply to your comments.

1. Language filter. As you have never been admin run a server or been a clan leader you wont know that most clan servers use a swear filter the "N" word is a auto ban. We have a relaxed swear filter but certain words do invoke a instant ban. Other words you will see a auto warning at the top of the screen. So a admin giving you a warning first wont happen for the "N" word . Some countries have diffrent social and moral eithos so think before typing what may not offend you may offen others.

2. Your side may of said he isnt cheeating but think of the other side, players were leeaving the server saying "This is crap not playing on a server that allows hackers" etc etc So as a admin what would you do with a .50cal humvee gunner 80-1K/D who can shoot on the move and hit every thing he sees. Let the 30 ppl on the other side leave and never come back or kick the guy who they are acusing of hacking. 1 v 30 do the math.

I will chase up who said they will check the demo and why it hasnt been done. But no one has come to our forum and request a ban be lifted. So how botherd are you enough to come here and rant against us in public and not come to our forums and sort this out.

If anyone ever plays on *NwA* server and has any issues then visit the link at the top or add Orford to your xfire i always have it on whan im playing.

Also a member of the PR xfire admin comunity so find me there also.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #13
Hammarskjold

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradien View Post
The point of following sl or co, is so we dont have a buttload of rambos every were, im not even sure why your objecting it.
The point of the game was a squad base action, not 1 man killing crew, if you want that go back to vbf2, and language, whats it matter. If your in voip go ahead ,idc who you might pi$ off, but typing explitives, like me reading a single explitive cuase u got shot will be usefull to me in a dire situation.

Idk about any one else but this is just seems to be another thread on kinda near pointless things.
I'm not objecting to people being prevented from playing PR like they would play vBF2. If the intention is to get people to play the game the way it's supposed to be play the wrong way to go about it is to say "always under all circumstances follow SL and CO orders, or you will be banned". A better way would be to encourage teamplay through civility and not focusing so much on the occasional obscenity.

Oh and if you don't like the fact that I am speaking my mind on something that bothers me, you can go read some other thread.

I guess what I'm saying is that a lot of the time server admins get blinded by their powers, blinded by the rulebook. This can cause largely irrelevant, minor things get blown out of proportion and ultimately steal time away from enjoying the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomimin View Post
@Hammarskjold

Did you ever admin on a server?
Yes. I've also been a forum moderator and have run a couple of MMO guilds.

You know how I got people to join, stay and have fun over the years? Well, not by saying "this is my guild, if you don't like it you can fuck off", that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [FC]Freddie View Post
Sounds like you need to start your own "Everything goes" server, then you and your friends can cuss and greet each other every way you like and you can make your own "no rules apply" policy.
I did not say "no rules apply", or "everything goes". I'm saying, over and over again, that relaxing a little bit, toning down the zealousness a little bit is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [FC]Freddie View Post
Until you do that I'm afraid you going to have to just deal with the servers that graciously supply you with PR gaming access and the way that those people prefer to see their servers administered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi187 View Post
Not really, all servers run the servers that they pay for the way they want to, as with all games.

Don't like it, play on another server, simples.

Graciously supply me with PR gaming access? "Don't like it, play on another server"? What kind of attitude is this? My belief is that some server admins have a case of the Cartman (RESPECT MAH AUTHORITEH) and overreact to simple things. In my opinion it's what gets in the way a lot of the time. This is a complicated enough game to play, there should not have to be a full page of server rules, a server bible to follow, in order to play on PR servers.

If you find it more important that people bow before you in awe of your graciousness, than have them stay on your servers and enjoy the game, you really need to step back and think about it for a while.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
*NwA*Orford

We have 3 rules That are enforce the other rules we have out line game play and more FAQ that we get.

Name squad for asset you want first squad at 130 get said asset.
No raping Insurgent main in that game type.
No force TK or TK`ing.

We try to keep it to the least we could as admin want to play to. Admin letting the power go to his head. Your ban was a auto ban your mates ban was due to players calling him a hacker and leaving the server. Your second ban was due to your attitude and arguing and not being able to see things from a admins point of view. Im sure the admin who banned you got tierd of reading the text on the screen and you not dropping it then geting abusive again for the good of the server and the people playing on it you was given another ban.

any way *NwA* Clan is your best way to sort this if thats what you want.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #15
Hammarskjold

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NwA*Orford View Post
1. Language filter. As you have never been admin run a server or been a clan leader you wont know that most clan servers use a swear filter the "N" word is a auto ban. We have a relaxed swear filter but certain words do invoke a instant ban. Other words you will see a auto warning at the top of the screen. So a admin giving you a warning first wont happen for the "N" word . Some countries have diffrent social and moral eithos so think before typing what may not offend you may offen others.
The words presumptuous and cock comes to mind. I've been a server admin and have been a part of and run a great number of clans. Nothing BF2-related though, so that's why I didn't know there was a swear filter. I did not know my friend was instantly kicked and banned, he didn't indicate to me that he was.

I'm very well aware of social and moral ethos, but I'm not sure who he offended by his remark. If I am wrong then feel to point out who took offense to it. It was a stupid thing to say, and he and I admit that, but it was hardly what I'd call a bannable offense.

Context my friend, context.

(context is especially humorous considering your clan name, Noobs with Attitude)

Quote:
2. Your side may of said he isnt cheeating but think of the other side, players were leeaving the server saying "This is crap not playing on a server that allows hackers" etc etc So as a admin what would you do with a .50cal humvee gunner 80-1K/D who can shoot on the move and hit every thing he sees. Let the 30 ppl on the other side leave and never come back or kick the guy who they are acusing of hacking. 1 v 30 do the math.
Wow, talk about exaggerating. 80-1 is completely within the realm of possibility, seeing as my squad was performing at 110%. The whole insurgent team was hardly going to leave, in fact I saw nobody leave the game specifically because of my Humvee gunners actions. Feel free to prove me wrong - I won't hold my breath.

Oh and one of the most vocal cheating accusers was on the US team.

Not a great call, exactly.

Quote:
I will chase up who said they will check the demo and why it hasnt been done. But no one has come to our forum and request a ban be lifted. So how botherd are you enough to come here and rant against us in public and not come to our forums and sort this out.

If anyone ever plays on *NwA* server and has any issues then visit the link at the top or add Orford to your xfire i always have it on whan im playing.

Also a member of the PR xfire admin comunity so find me there also.
I didn't come here to rant in public - there's a larger issue behind this and it's something that bothers me. I haven't come to your forum because I wasn't banned, it was some guy on the internet whose name I've completely forgotten about now.

Just so it's crystal clear:

You kicked and banned a very good .50 cal gunner based only accusations (mostly from our team) and in doing so ruined the fun of our whole squad. After complaining about this incredibly stupid move, I was kicked and banned for 15 minutes and told to "go outside".

A bang up job.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #16
Hammarskjold

Quote:
We have 3 rules That are enforce the other rules we have out line game play and more FAQ that we get.

Name squad for asset you want first squad at 130 get said asset.
No raping Insurgent main in that game type.
No force TK or TK`ing.

We try to keep it to the least we could as admin want to play to. Admin letting the power go to his head. Your ban was a auto ban your mates ban was due to players calling him a hacker and leaving the server. Your second ban was due to your attitude and arguing and not being able to see things from a admins point of view. Im sure the admin who banned you got tierd of reading the text on the screen and you not dropping it then geting abusive again for the good of the server and the people playing on it you was given another ban.

any way *NwA* Clan is your best way to sort this if thats what you want.
A good set of rules you have there - Server admins... not so much.

The first ban was my friend (n word). It was revoked after an apology and some explaining.

The second ban was the .50 cal gunner/humvee gunner, who I only met today on your server.

The third ban was me, for 15 minutes. I received no warning, the admin said nothing about not spamming the chat - nobody was too unruly, or spamming too much. The ban came after the debate had settled down.

I have nothing to sort out with you, seeing as me and my friend are both allowed on your server. I feel sorry for the humvee gunner though. S1X3 or something I think his nickname was.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #17
=]H[=Viper
Supporting Member

If the PLAYERS would play the game as intended we wouldn't need so many rules. They're put in place because of the way a certain percentage choose to act. Not because we're rule happy. Nothing would make me happier than to have no rules at all.

As far as language, well that's a personal decision. You can't tell people not to be offended by your choice of words, even if meant in a friendly way. Just because you see no harm in it doesn't mean others will also. Use common courtesy when visiting someones server. Obviously players don't or we wouldn't need a rule posted on it.

If you look around the PR servers the majority of them have the same rules. Some may have more, some may have less. It's up to you to find the ones you like. As someone posted already, if you don't agree with the rules, don't play there. Pretty simple.

As far as posting rules on the in game global chat, we do. It's for the most part ignored or scrolls by so fast because of all the spamming...I owned you, FAIL, F$#k, thanks for the kit or other non game related BS. (thus the rule for no chat spamming)

The majority of the rules are really just common sense and courtesy and wouldn't be there if everyone used a little bit of both.

The players dictate the rules and how vigorously they're enforced. I know for a fact that ALL admins would rather be playing the game than babysitting the players on their server.

Remember you may end up on the other side of things and be glad there is an admin there for you enforcing the rules. Because if there isn't you'll be writing another post complaining about servers that don't do anything about the chaos that goes on.

USMC Vet - Clan Co Leader

CHICAGO =]H[= SERVERS
AAS (69.12.111.27 : 16567) INSURGENCY (69.12.111.28 : 16567) 24/7 KASHAN (69.12.111.29 : 16567)
INFANTRY (69.12.111.30 : 16567) TRAINING/MATCH (69.12.111.31 : 16567)
Old 09-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #18
paradien

some one insert facepalm already
Old 09-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #19
[R-DEV]epoch
PR:A3 Project Manager
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammarskjold View Post
The "your money, your rules" argument is illogical, in my opinion.
Fortunately for the wider community, your opinion is not widely shared.

Go rent a server and put all the over-zealous admins to shame with your enlightened ways.

This is going nowhere.

[R-MOD]Cp: epoch if I wasn't dancing right now I'd shoot you.
Closed Thread

Tags
admins, advice, server