project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
23 Nov 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
Jupil@ire

Talking Solution to the ALT-TAB v.087 & v.1.5 issue.

Hi

First my system is using Vista 32, the graphic card is a 8600GT.

In 0.86, I have always been playing with 2 x AA in 1680x1050 resolution.
My other options are all set on Medium, exept for the Geometry, and the Terrain, on High.

I had the Alt-TAB issue 2 days ago. The issue was that when I did an Alt-Tab and tried to get back in the game from Windows, a black screen was schown instead. While playing a map, or simply while in the menu.
I had to stop the game with Desktop Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), or sometime it even crashed to desktop by its own ...

I didn't use the EA official hotfix.

I tried a very easy manipulation, that seemed the most logical to me.
And it worked, speaking for me. I'll describe you simply what I did :

- So I ran the game, desactivated the AA (putted Textures & T.Filtering on High), closed the game, deleted the MyDocs/Battlefield2/Cache folder, and relaunched PR.

- Graphic optimization was made during the map load. Alt-Tab was working again, but quality was not good enough.

- I restarted the game, reactivated the AA to 2x, (putted Textures & T.Filtering back on Medium), closed PR, deleted the cache again, and restarted PR.

- Graphic optimization was made again with AA reactivated, and old cache deleted.

----->BEFOR EVEN TRYING YOUR FIRST ALT-TAB, for the best result you should load maps completely and mostly several times. The BF2 engine needs more then one mapload to complete the graphism optimization. It even sometimes needs an other mapload after restarting the game, to finish the optimization.

----> ALT - TAB WORKS PERFECT LIKE EVER ! In PR, FH2 and BF2

So shortly said, you will have to deactivate and reactivate the AA, by deleting cache of BF2 every time you make a change and restart the game after that. The process of a new optimization of your AA with the 1.5 should take care of it. To have the best result, follow the steps I followed.

What wonders me, is that deleting the cache is one of the first thing to do when you got a graphism issue, and that nobody already solved the problem by doing this. So was my game only half-bugged ?

Let's hope it will work for every BF2 & mods loverzzz

I understand there was a topic about that issue, but as a lot of people have this issue, my solution post felt like lost in those issue reports ^^.

=Fight with the Best, Die like the Rest=
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by Jupil@ire; 09-09-2009 at 09:41 AM..
Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
[R-DEV]K4on
PR:BF2 Test Lead
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Default Re: Solution to the ALT-TAB v.087 & v.1.5 issue.

it works. but there are already some threads about this topic.

btw: just activate the aa in your graphic drivers options 4 the game and i ll work fine too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]K4on is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
Jupil@ire

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4on View Post
btw: just activate the aa in your graphic drivers options 4 the game and i ll work fine too.
Nope, this doesn't work for everyone sadly. Some buddies of my clan tried it, and it did not work. I think it was the Nvdia Control Panel.
Nice it worked with you !

Well I found a lot of issue topics, but not really solutions :P Sorry if someone gave already the solution !

=Fight with the Best, Die like the Rest=
Jupil@ire is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
NightMaker

Thank you! it works. I was beginning to think, that it was my pc that automatically Alt-tabbed ^^
NightMaker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
[R-DEV]Adriaan
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Nice find, although you can fix it as well using the official EA hotfix, so i don't really see the point of your post . Is the EA fix not working for you or others? It works alright for me

[R-DEV]Adriaan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
gazzthompson

official fix:

Battlefield 2 Update 1.50 ALT+TAB FIX from DICE - Battlefield 2 General Discussion (General Game Discussion) - Battlefield 2: EA Forums

gazzthompson is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
alttab, issue, solution, v087, v15