project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
19 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
TheValkyre

Question Mumble

how useful is it? i hear nothing but good things about it but i never thought it was worth it.

and, of course, is it hard to get used to?
TheValkyre is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
linkman54
Default Re: Mumble

It's extremely useful, trust me you'll love it.

And it's not really too hard to get used to, I've had it for 3 days and i fkn love it lol
linkman54 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

it is not in its finished version yet, so there are some things you have to live with.

imo it elevates the gameplay substantially as each and every blue becomes somone who can work with you directly and with purpose rather than doing your best and hope the blue guy backs you up.

The problems with it are mostly spam related with some technical issues, such as problems with QWAVE etc. But also you have to alt tab if you want to join a squad leader or change channel if you change server. Which can cause trouble for certain computers. Well admined servers with mumble admins are solid gold.

Also, there is a great amount of debate regarding the enemy hearing your local speech. TG runs 2 channels to seperate the two teams so that they cannot hear eachother. But this involves more alt-tabbing which is problematic. RT for example only have one channel. The SL radio is secure (cheaters = kick) but just 'talking' can be heard by the enemy. Gameplay wise this might not be desirable since there is no sound occlusion (like most bf2 sounds) and realism wise it might not be desirable because of language barriers as well as the occlusion problem.

Fortunately there are now 100% mumble enforced servers to play on, and other servers where mumble is not enforced, allowing everyone to play the way they want. RT Front Page 2.0 is one, and www.realityteamwork.com/mumble is the guide to set it up

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Roborob

The positives is that as a SL you can simply talk to the Pilot in a blackhawk instead of typing, and you can radio him to pick you up... All without having to go through a Commander

Call me Rob ingame

Roborob is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:15 AM   #5
Mr.Hyde
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Hyde Send a message via Yahoo to Mr.Hyde

PROs
Talk to people around you

CONs
Players talking, sshhhsssing, allah akbaring, making noise
I hear dead people
objects in map don't effect noise level (i.e walls)
people not in game can be heard by everyone on mumble server

Many CONs but it's still worth it. I feel like a deaf guy playing PR without Mumble. Of course, it helps when you know everyone else on the server is using it as well.

Setup is rather simple if you're used to other programs like Team Speak or Ventrillo. Also, there are setup help channels in the Mumble server once you get it running to help you tweak your settings for optimal performance.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty for security deserve neither and will lose both" ~Benjamin Franklin
Mr.Hyde is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:20 AM   #6
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

here's a link to an example of mumble use

Stoffen's Sing Along 2! - Xfire Video

ok...a serious link to an example of mumble use

Action on RT Reality Teamwork Mumble Server - Xfire Video

Notice that now the blues can tell me wher the enemies are, and that vbf2 VOIP and mumble both have their place in teh food chain. Blue medics telling their casualities what to do. Teamtactics > Squad tactics alone.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:43 AM   #7
@bsurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2B Rudd View Post
here's a link to an example of mumble use

Stoffen's Sing Along 2! - Xfire Video

ok...a serious link to an example of mumble use

Action on RT Reality Teamwork Mumble Server - Xfire Video

Notice that now the blues can tell me wher the enemies are, and that vbf2 VOIP and mumble both have their place in teh food chain. Blue medics telling their casualities what to do. Teamtactics > Squad tactics alone.
After watch these vids i know why i havent it installed. To much talking with less of information...

I stay @ ts, with my 10 ppl that i know by there voices and the rest per chat or ingame or commander...

I cant understand that ppl find this a great experience. With so much talking on my ears i would miss the fight and the things arroung me...

But everyone like he wants...

@bsurd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:49 AM   #8
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

just to put it in context, you had pretty much 64 people within 800m of eachother, a very intense firefight

though I found the amount of voice coms very easy to handle (though Fighter the commander could have talked less, and its not like we needed Welshboy to tell us that Big Red might be out there somewhere) (but I do have experience with radio coms on St John Ambulance duty)

Old 08-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Adriaan
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

As said, it's extremely useful for communication with guys not in your squad, like telling another squad near you that enemies are incoming, telling a helicopter pilot where to go or telling nearby armour to fire some rounds into an enemy strongpoint.
Best thing you can do if your curious is try it out for yourself! It's easy to setup and theres quite some servers that have mumble channels, although RT is (afaik) the only server where mumble is mandatory.

Adriaan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
gazzthompson

squad leader channel is amazing as well, being able to communicate directly to the other squad leaders is so useful.

gazzthompson is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
mumble