project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
22 Dec 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
bluehawk112

Talking More real flight characteristics of littlebird??

Hi Guys,
I wanted to start a new topic here.
The topic is: flightphysics of the littlebird (or in general of all helicopters)
I was wondering, if it´s possible to implement improvements concerning the following flight

characterisics of a helicopter :

1.)if incrasing the pitch (raising collective lever) on the ground for take off or during any

(very) slow speed flying phase (f.e. close to ground, hovering), the airframe should start to

rotate against direction of rotorblade-circular direction. If you don´t push opposite rudder

pedal (i.o.to counteract this impulse), you start to rotate around your own vertical axis.

2.) if you decrease pitch (lowering collective lever) during low speed (f.e. close to ground for

landing), vice versa effect will happen (rotation of airframe starts in same direction like

rotorblade-circular direction-->if you don´t counteract with pedal)

3)if you decrease pitch (lowering collective lever) very rapidly and intensively during fast

speed, the nose of the helicopter will suddenly pitch up (but I think, this effect is already

realized with flight characteristics of uh1n helicopter and supercobra, am I right?). Same vice

versa. Pulling collective lever will give a little nose down - effect.

4.) if you decrease pitch (lowering collective lever) very rapidly and intensively during having

no forward speed, the rotorblades can come in their own downwash during the following vertical

descent. Trying to break the descent in this situation is not possible by applying more pull on

the collective lever but only by pushing nose a little bit down to get forward movement to escape

the vertical downwash airstream.

4.) If you want to land on a runway with slow forward speed and you are close to the ground, your

airframe should be drifting sidewards (even without any crosswind). Reason is the tailrotor,which

has the same effect like actual crosswind would have on your airframe (=side drift). That´s why

you should land with a little bit of bank (one side touches down first) in order to keep your

nose aligned with the desired landing direction (f.e. centerline of a runway) and in order to

counteract the side drift.

I am not a real helicopter-pilot, but I have some friends that are real heli-pilots and they

invited me sometimes to fly in a real heli-simulator. On these occasions, they explained to me

the funny behaviour of a helicopter during certain phases of flight
-especially, when close to the ground.
If someone of the developers of PR was willing to change some flightphysics of the littlebird,

I could try to gather more exact information about speed and altitude ranges where these

phenomenons appear or which angular speeds can occur not counteracting any rotations.
Of course, I am not sure, if there could be some more special issues to consider when steering a

helicopter, but having flown a couple of times in the real simulator, I think, I listed the most

important "add ons" for more realistic flight characteristics.
Any real pilots here who can help me out here and who might also want to convince our great

developers of PR to improve reality-feeling of helicopterflying?
bluehawk112 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
gaurd502
Default Re: More real flight characteristics of littlebird??

I'm not sure if they can. I think the engine is to limited to allow this.
gaurd502 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
HAAN4

Good luch ;.....
HAAN4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
mat552

As I recall, the engine doesn't really handle wind or any of the physics necessary to implement truly realistic choppers, same reason wind can't be added to push sniper rifle rounds around.

The handling on the Combined Arms choppers are a little different, perhaps more realistic, but what do I know?

Players might be hardcoded, but that sure doesn't seem to stop anybody from trying.

Any gamemode in which one team is guaranteed victory by not spawning is a bad gamemode, fix Insurgency.
mat552 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
R5ZOR

Its as realistic as the DEVs can get it at the momment without making it incredibly difficult.. i think.
R5ZOR is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Bluehawk, try combined arms combinedarms.myfreeforum.org • Index page

I dont think they have changed the LB yet, but have a fly around in some of the modified aircraft, and see if they conform to your simulation experiences. I'd be interested to know if they do or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
Zimmer
Supporting Member

R5zors fact is the handling of helis has not been touched in ages. Hopefully we will see the Combined Arms handling in 0.9 that from what i have understood is alot better.

People don't realize that autism doesn't mean they're "stupid". Just socially inept. Like rhino... > > or in a worst case scenario... Wicca. =)- Lithium fox

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I found this sentence quite funny and since this is a war game forum I will put it here. No offense to the french just a good laugh.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you do is leave behind a lot of noisy baggage."
Zimmer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

the current incarnation of the chopper handling was brought in .5 or .6 wasn't it?

[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Smegburt_funkledink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2B Rudd View Post
the current incarnation of the chopper handling was brought in .5 or .6 wasn't it?
It hasn't changed since then to my reconing. I wouldn't know if it will have been any earlier than that though.

[R-Div]Robbi "There's nothing more skanky than eating out of a tub of hummus with a screwdriver."
[R-DEV]Matrox "CHINAAAAAAA!!!"
Smegburt_funkledink is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:29 AM   #10
barrypotter

Interesting stuff Bluehawk, I don't think that could be down within the constraints of the game, not easily anyway. Plus you would really need someone with experience in flight modeling. Most of the behaviour your talking about is in PC simulations like X-plane, Flightgear and DCS Blackshark though.

Hehe there are enough accidents already, imagine the chaos if you had Helicopters like those from the above sims.
barrypotter is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
characteristics, flight, littlebird, real