project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
snooggums
Default Re: Flags, how do you like them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Delayed bleed, why has no one thought of that before? That is a really good idea in fact, will have a bit more of a think on it later for sure

Will have to read that later when I have some more time.
I got the idea from a combination of the suggested delay at round start in my C&C suggestion in my signature and how a recent in house scrim went at TG last weekend where the team that won was not too aggressive and the game got stale. In our discussion we hit on the fact that PR has become so defense advantaged and each flag doesn't really give a reward that something needs to get the teams fighting, but there needs to be time to organize and initiate the attack.

Sometimes it's just the right circumstances that start ideas rolling. If you haven't read them already I hope you check out my suggestions for other areas below, as each also explains the reason for the proposed changes and how they address common concerns with the current system.

snooggums is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #12
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawz View Post
Delayed bleed; if possible; would really help out breaking the stalemates and fix zerg rushing at the same time, ie. if there was a delayed bleed on Docks at Muttrah, USMC could still counter-attack without losing all the tickets due the bleed like it's now, but if MEC held the Docks long enough, USMC would starting bleeding out eventually and lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw-uk View Post
I love that delayed bleed idea. Reminds me of Muttrah in the PRT C7B2 NATO held the docks for the entire round except for one 5 minute period where CATA broke through and capped the docks flag. We capped it back very quickly, but as there was an instant bleed we lost a whole load of tickets, the same number of tickets we lost by...
yep, that is just one good example there but I can think of many, many more

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooggums View Post
I got the idea from a combination of the suggested delay at round start in my C&C suggestion in my signature and how a recent in house scrim went at TG last weekend where the team that won was not too aggressive and the game got stale. In our discussion we hit on the fact that PR has become so defense advantaged and each flag doesn't really give a reward that something needs to get the teams fighting, but there needs to be time to organize and initiate the attack.

Sometimes it's just the right circumstances that start ideas rolling. If you haven't read them already I hope you check out my suggestions for other areas below, as each also explains the reason for the proposed changes and how they address common concerns with the current system.
Nice, will have to read your other topics some other time. Your idea might be the best PR suggestion of the month

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
octo-crab

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Nice, will have to read your other topics some other time. Your idea might be the best PR suggestion of the month
But...but...but....what about my fastropez suggestion?
octo-crab is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #14
Tartantyco

ยจ-I posted a thread ages ago, with a recent update here.

Make Norway OPFOR! NAO!

It's your hamster Richard. It's your hamster in the box and it's not breathing.
Tartantyco is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #15
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Thing is Tartan, teh order of how you cap flags is determined by their assigned supply group ID,

so, flag 1, then 2, then 3

or Flag 1, then multiple flags all numbered 2, then 3

I'm not sure how ur grid system could use that?

And also, Flag radii should not constrain teams too much, but they should stil contain tactically important locations, bunkers etc. Some of ur grid in ur suggestion is basically...Sand.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
Viper5

What if, in a compromise between AAS and CnC, commanders selected from a few potential flag locations during pre round, 1-3 a side depending on the map. If no CO selected they'd be randomly chosen. Would signify commanders being able to decide where to estbalish their "forward" bases and principal objectives as in real life.
Viper5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #17
Tartantyco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2B Rudd View Post
Thing is Tartan, teh order of how you cap flags is determined by their assigned supply group ID,

so, flag 1, then 2, then 3

or Flag 1, then multiple flags all numbered 2, then 3

I'm not sure how ur grid system could use that?

And also, Flag radii should not constrain teams too much, but they should stil contain tactically important locations, bunkers etc. Some of ur grid in ur suggestion is basically...Sand.
-I talked to CRF about flags long ago on IRC and he said that the flag system was modifiable enough for this kind of thing. As for flag positioning, what is and isn't a tactically important position should be determined by the terrain and situation, not by arbitrarily placed flags. Additionally, the value of an area is not dictated simply due to the presence of anything of inherent value; if a large area of "basically...Sand" is between you and your supplies then it suddenly becomes pretty important to both sides.

-The main issue for people, it seems, is how they perceive things. Thinking of flags as specific points or physical entity instead of as a metaphor for territory control, as individual objectives instead of seeing the map in its entirety as the objective, applying AAS logic to the proposed game mode, etc.

-Let me not derail this thread too much though as, despite it being relevant, there is already a thread on it and discussions on it can be had there.

Make Norway OPFOR! NAO!

It's your hamster Richard. It's your hamster in the box and it's not breathing.
Tartantyco is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #18
snooggums

The current use of flags is to determine where the small number of players will focus their battle on our large PR maps, AAS is what makes the large maps playable. If you account for the whole map at once you will end up with the equivalent of BF2 vanilla flag hopping because forces will be spread so thin.

Making several linked flags to one flag makes the front lines a bit too spread out for defense in my opinion. I like the current large flag for area control, small flag for objectives style we have now although they could definitely be mixed up a bit more on the current maps.

snooggums is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #19
RedAlertSF

Capping radius is not fine right now, most of the flags should have capping radius of around 200 meters, but the ones in specific buildings should have very small radius, like 50 to 100 meters. (Warehouse on Assault on Mestia for example)

I think it would be great to get more possibilities, where to attack. Especially on assault maps (Muttrah, Barracuda, Jabal).
RedAlertSF is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #20
Scrivy

After years of playing 1942, Vietnam, and 2 itself - I love the wide radius of defense in comparison to an actual flag. Just spent 45 minutes holding North Bunker with one squad by holing up inside the northern most bunker and fending off multiple infantry attacks, a few Apache strafes, and an APC that decided to drive in and attack while inside.

If we had to stay on top of a flag, there's no way we could have accomplished that. I'd still be fighting and holding that point if the power hadn't gone out on me!
Scrivy is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
flags