project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
21 Nov 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Nikolai[NL]

Default Map variation on servers

I couldnt find a post about this subject but I was wondering if there is a possibility for servers to somewhat coordinate the map rotations, it happens very often that 8 servers are running the same map (for some odd reason its mostly Muttrah when I log in). I know this is difficult with servers being located in different places and maybe being restarted at different times. Just saying it would be nice cos even though Muttrah City is a nice map, I like to play something else from time to time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nikolai[NL] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
space
Banned
Default Re: Map variation on servers

I think that many servers only run the most popular maps, because if an unpopular map is next in the rotation, then you can often kill the server. This means that many of the servers are only running a handful of the maps.

Also it would be very hard to coordinate the map lists because you never know how long a map will last, and if you use the admin controls to change the order while the server is running, then it could cause the server to crash.
space is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

What I'd love to see is a server playing only the lesser played maps, like Al Kufrah 16 layer (just infantry).

Most servers just run all the full sized layers over and over, a few servers breaking the mold would be good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
Zi8

Heh we are getting same complaints about the maps on our server aswell. For some odd reason, the server starts to get populated when the rotation is at certain point (hmm) so basically it feels that there are only a bunch of maps in the rotation (we have 17 atm )

Zi8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
DesmoLocke

Send a message via AIM to DesmoLocke Send a message via Skype™ to DesmoLocke

I enjoy most of the 64 layer maps but some variation would be nice. Except for Ejod Desert which is a very poor map considering today's standards. I think that map was good for when it came out (0.3?) but the gameplay has surpassed that map greatly.

Another thing is taking some time to think about the rotation more in depth. I forget which server I was on recently, but due to the order of the maps, the same side had armor superiority each round. I think it went Fallujah West, Qwai, and then Kozelsk. So the U.S., then Chinese, and then the Russians had all the armor toys each round.

DesmoLocke is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
MrSh@vid
Supporting Member
Send a message via MSN to MrSh@vid

What Space says is very true, many maps are not run because they can cause a server's population to drop vastly killing the server off, i know at late nights we will deliberately set certain maps to be next in the rotation just to keep server population alive.
It's often fun to play small variations of maps, Kashan 16 is a personal favorite, and i try to make sure on the server i administrate that most map variations get placed at least once a week.
In terms of co-ordination i think that's a very improbable task that i can't see working unfortunately as nice as it would be. Most servers run map's that keep their server populated, and this often leads to overlap, it's also almost nigh impossible to forecast server crashes and the length of maps and therefore somehow co-ordinate with a dozen other server admins (who may/may not be online or understand the native language of the other admins) what map who is putting on next.

MrSh@vid is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Meza82

with the new maps since 0.85 all older maps before then should be removed from the map rotation. too many times i see ghost train or twin rivers (or something like that) be played.
i say servers should emphasize newer maps (because a full 64 player map takes so long to rotate) like the new INS maps or Asad Kal.

especially though i would like to see more servers use the new Command and Control game mode. that hardcore mode is the best and most realsitic -open ended warfare. i have only played C and C mode twice. y dont more servers use this new and awsome game mode>?

Violence is power
In .308 we trust
Meza82 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
MrSh@vid
Supporting Member
Send a message via MSN to MrSh@vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meza82 View Post
especially though i would like to see more servers use the new Command and Control game mode. that hardcore mode is the best and most realsitic -open ended warfare. i have only played C and C mode twice. y dont more servers use this new and awsome game mode>?

In the times I've played it, most of the times people seem to misunderstand the purpose of the game, and get bored and quit, leaving the server half empty. Which is a shame because I've also had some brilliant rounds on CNC maps, i think the best being a round of Fool's on TG.

MrSh@vid is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
M4TsE91

maybe a clan should try to run a 24/7 CnC server, so people who like and understand that mode can join
M4TsE91 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

ye many popular maps like muttrah etc are being overplayed and shouldn't be so common in server's map lists, maps that are overplayed soon become boring.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
map, servers, variation