project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
Blade
Send a message via Yahoo to Blade
Default Tips for a pilot noob?

I'm somewhat new to PR and have recently become interested in becoming a decent helicopter pilot. While flight is much easier than I expected (I even find it easier than vBF2 O_o) I've only flew in training servers, so haven't had to roll through tons of fire yet. I would at least like to know basic stuff before I get yelled at in a pub, so some general advice is most welcome.

The main problem I have at the moment is landing...

Digital artists, please visit www.engineeredbeauty.com. Thanks!
Blade is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
MrSh@vid
Supporting Member
Send a message via MSN to MrSh@vid
Default Re: Tips for a pilot noob?

I made this video guide a little while ago, it's not great, but you may find it handy.

MrSh@vid is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I spent an hour or so a month in a training server over the course of 6months, finally started flying ingame a week or two ago, all the practice paid off.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
gazzthompson

when landing, tap S ... do not hold it down.

gazzthompson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
Neo_Mapper

1) Do not flight straight to your landing zone - longer way = safer way (usually)
2) If someone says to drop him right into the action, DONT LISTEN TO HIM. Find a safe lz and let him hop out there
3) landing: low and fast. A good insertation shouldnt take longer than 5 seconds
4) beep, beep, beep ---> not good, deploy flares and GET THE HELL OUT
4) ALT + F4 DOES NOT DEPLOY FAST ROPES!! (also if others say so)

should be the most important things for a "beginner", I can think of now...

Sorry for my bad english ^_^'
Neo_Mapper is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
OkitaMakoto
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to OkitaMakoto Send a message via MSN to OkitaMakoto Send a message via Skype™ to OkitaMakoto

Going off neomapper, if you get to an LZ and tell them to hop out and they dont... take off and get out of there. Ive seen too many helos sit and type in chat to "Get out!" and then lose control/get shot down. Your safety is number one. If they dont get out and instead complain about the location, take off and get them back to main base and then talk to them/let them get out.

One other thing is when dropping guys off, I try to not touch the ground, this is most important on hilly maps where you can tip easily. Best bet is to get low and let them hop out. If they DO take a bit of damage, they should be in a safe enough spot[since you didnt drop them in the heat] to have their medic top them off.
OkitaMakoto is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Dunehunter
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Dunehunter

Some general pointers.

1) Try doing all the crazy stuff on a training server. Flying under bridges, extremely low altitude flying, steep dives where you only pull up at the last second, flying through the streets on Muttrah, etc. You might not need to do it online, and it's probably best if you don't try it right away, but sometimes there's just no other way to escape that pesky AA lock-on, and it's best if you already know what to do.

2) Always make sure that you or someone in your squad communicates with the rest of the team. If there's an APC or AA somewhere, you want to know. A squad asking for a ride somewhere? Check first if they're asking for a hot drop or not, and if you don't feel comfortable going in hot, drop them further away.

3) Flares. You get 30 of them, and you probably won't need all of them. When you are on your final approach to a drop, pop some. You'll be slow and they're likely to know where you are, so this is when you are most vulnerable. Nevermind the embarassment of being shot down just as your passengers drop out. Pop another set as you pull out.

4) The approach: there are other people who know more about this, but make sure that you know what you are about to do, plan ahead. Flying in high, coming to a stop and then slowly descending is going to get you and your passengers killed. Also, keep in mind that as I mentioned in point 3, you are at your most vulnerable now. The times I've flown right into an APC's field of fire with not enough speed to evade...

5) Make sure that your passengers know that you don't have a lot of time to hang around. If they want a crate, they need to let you know beforehand, and they have to be prepared to jump out at a certain altitude. They can always get themselves healed up...kind of tricky to repair a helicopter that went boom. Even when you can touch down, make sure that they know to bail out -right away- and hit the deck. Teamkills as you pull up and swing left or right by accident are annoying, but they can be avoided if they all go prone as soon as they jump out. It'll also help them survive if there's enemies around.

[R-MOD]Jigsaw] I am drunk. I decided to come home early because I can''t realy seea nyithng. I hthknk i madea bad choicce.
Dunehunter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
cyberzomby

I cannot stress Okimatos point about not waiting for them to get out enough! Just like most of us here Ive seen this happening to often. If they start ranting at you, simly dont respond or dont take them anymore. Its useless to hover arounnd, waiting for the squad or even the last guy to get out. When you feel you waited long enough (just a second or 3) just take off and go back to the airfield or deck.

And ofcourse the training servers for practise before you even try flying in a real server. Transport choppers and choppers in general can make or brake a game. They cost tickets and take 20 minutes to respawn. So be carefull with them
cyberzomby is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
paratrooper[BG]

Send a message via Skype™ to paratrooper[BG]

even best pilots have a bad day some times

paratrooper[BG] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
Tim270
Retired PR Developer

A few basic things.

.Obviously when taking off wait until the chopper is fully ready to avoid flipping it on the deck.

.Try to visualise in your mind your flight path(learn the maps) and try to keep in mind at all times where AA/Firebases have been spotted.

.When flying transport Helo your first prioirty is to get troops from A to B alive, so pick a good LZ, not a ninja insertion move that is going to get them raped within 2 secs, but not to far back.

.On Muttrah especially, always use flares as soon as you get on/near land! Do this to pre-empt a AA lock.

Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
noob, pilot, tips