project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
30 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #71
[R-DEV]Twisted Helix
Operations Management
Supporting Member

Default Re: PR-Downloader - v0.87

I think what Jonny is saying is that the user interface requires feedback. Although I understand the point of view that "if it works it works and so what" (which is the programmers perspective) ... to the end user, the actual impression of whether an application works or not is in fact through the user interface, rather than the result.

From the point of view of user centered programing, if the app does not inform you that its working then it is not working ... even if it is. It just one of the fundamental aspects of software design that you have to take on board .... as irritating as it ... and end users ... are.

Personally for a downloader that I might use as a user, I generally like to have feedback on the rate and the expected delivery time. I also like to have a way to throttle the speed to my preference, in order to allow free bandwidth and i need feedback to inform me that this is happening. Its a pain ... I know, but the user starts to fear the worse if he does not know what is happening.

Having such information available also helps with the process of debugging and error reporting.
[R-DEV]Twisted Helix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #72
Oddsodz

Oh, I Have no doubt about how it looks as a gui. But I am not a programmer really. I Am noob at such things. I have said before if anybody wants the code to make there own version. They can have it. It's all open source stuff.

You have to remember I build this for none expert computer users. And the only pepole that wish to see all the extra gizmos are computer experts. I Would love to have all that extra stuff in there. But I am bugged if I can make it happen. I Am just not that good.

So if you think you can do better. Please do take the code and build a better one. I Would love to see it. I really would.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Censorship is Ugly
Oddsodz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #73
[R-DEV]Twisted Helix
Operations Management
Supporting Member

Programmers are actually usually pretty bad and making user interfaces, so don't beat yourself up, its HCI and useability designers who usually dream up interfaces ... they do strange things like watching people use computers while taking notes in a little book.

Bloody boring stuff to be honest
[R-DEV]Twisted Helix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #74
Oddsodz

Cheeky bump

Censorship is Ugly
Old 09-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #75
caseyjams
Arrow Re: PR-Downloader - v0.87

Wow, thanks for the fast download, after a half hour I have about 1/3 done, vs about 5 hours for previous core and levels
caseyjams is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #76
Oddsodz

Glade to be of service

Censorship is Ugly
Old 10-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #77
Oddsodz

Cheeky bump.

Censorship is Ugly
Old 10-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #78
Turbulence391

Yeah sorry it kinda sucks, but when I use a torrent file it's slow
Turbulence391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #79
Mad-Mike

change speed to High on the torrent.

Mad-Mike is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #80
Ferron

Ridiculously slow (11% in 24 hours), considering that it took approx 4 hours 1 month ago for 100%.

And why does it ask to reboot? Normal install doesn't need that...
Ferron is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
086, 087, mode, prdownloader, prep, ready, v087