project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
22 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
goguapsy

Post What is everything I need to be a good PR player?

Hello everyone.

So, some people may have seem me already in Tactical Gamer server, and some others (Chicago Insurgency, ABC...), but if not, it doesn't matter 'cuz i never played that much, but I might start playing now.

So, I have a Mic.
What else do I need to be a good player?

-I heard (read, actually) about "Mumble". What is it exactly, and how it works, and how do I get it? I know it's some kind of tool to chat with a Mic in your team, but how does it work?

And well, I am practicing. Some people may have played with me, and I was the SL. I thought I would do a good job, but I didn't. What I mean to say is, I'm sorry to everyone (my squad members and my team) for wasting a valuable asset (a squad) in a round. I didn't do that on purpose. Just letting everyone know I AM practicing, and eventually I will be a great SL.

Anyways, though I like to know about SM and SL tactics, I know there are a lot of threads in here already, so here I am talking about hardware and software.

-I have no problem playing with my hardware, though I have to sometimes use a "monophone" (I think that's the name, it's like a headphone with only one side). I don't use the PC sound thingys 'cuz I don't want to bother anyone in my house (since my chattering already does), and some people use "strong language". I have 2 little sisters at home, so you all know what I mean.

-I really would like NOT to resort to xFire or Vent, since I think the game has enough capacity to do without it, but maybe I'm wrong.

SO, what do I need to be a great player? I know how to play the game (capping flags distance, killing people - last game I killed the most people in my team, I know the game isn't just about killing people, and I am more than aware of that, I'm just showing that "keyboard and mouse" abilities are ok)

Therefore, which programs do you guys suggest I use?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm new to the forums.
goguapsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
h3killa

Default Re: What is everything I need to be a good PR player?

1. Read the manual and go to training servers for a good 10+ hours.
h3killa is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Darkcloak2
Retired Forum Moderator

Mumble is a tool that allows you to talk to any blue guy on your team also on mumble. everything you need to know about it is here. : http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10-...t-reality.html

It sounds like you got everything else though:
A mic
and the willingness to learn

Like h3killa said, read the manual until you understand it but nothing beats in-game practice during a real round.
Darkcloak2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
goguapsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3killa View Post
1. Read the manual and go to training servers for a good 10+ hours.
Again, I KNOW how to play the game. I READ the whole manual. I KNOW almost everything I should know as a soldier. WHAT I WANT TO KNOW is what else despiste HABILITES do I need to be a good PR player.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Cheditor

Mumble is a voip system like TS but it has positional audio so you talk and it broadcasts from the players position within a certain radius. Good for inter squad communication and general lols.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheditor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
addaco

Send a message via MSN to addaco

Welcome to the forums and the game, its nice to see people startign the game and being active on the forum.

Mumble is recommened. Its a voip application which is opensource (meaning devs can do whatever they want to do with it. It allows anyperson to talk to anyperson within 70m, like regular talking, and radio between sqd leaders, like real radio. It is also "surround sound", meaning pople further away sound further away.

Mumble is also REALLY low latency, there is often no delay. It also has really good sound quatlity. Just get it. It is used on public servers, and buisy servers often have atleast 10 people on it. IGI often has many people on weekends, and when there are mumble nights, there are MANY people on it. It does not replace normal voip, but complements it.

Widescreen fixer is also a good app to get if you use a Widescreen monitor. Just google widescreen fixer.

Anyway. I agree with HKiller. Have a play on training servers. Though in all honesty, it is not that much needed. Training servers are only good for learning armour / air. Your best bet for the moment is to be a regular rifleman. Join a normal server. Join a generic sqd (no air or armour sqds) , and if there is an english voip, join that. Just learn the ropes. Dont give orders, but recieve them and follow them. Soon you will find out how the game works, the good tactics and then the maps. When you become confident then become sqd leader. DONT BE A SQD LEADER FOR A MONTH. think like that and then you will learn, thats how I did.

And most importantly, use common sense. Am I ready to sqd-lead? Should I play like an idiot who learn what this game is about?

This is indeed the end of one of my famous ramblings

EDIT: Ninjad by Cheditor and goguapsy, to sooo long to write my little speech

addaco is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
Smegburt_funkledink

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Mumble is an awesome piece of communications software that has 3D positional sound that lets squads talk to one another. To put it simply, it's mint!

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10-...t-reality.html

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10-...velopment.html

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f112...periences.html

A lot of players use Headphones, I ended up getting a set of Speed Link Medusa 5.1 Surround headphones:

I got a few cheaper reccomendations here:

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f11-...g-headset.html

That will allow you to play without worrying about making too much noise in the house.

Mumble is defenantly the say to go. A lot of clans use Team Speak (I do) but I hope that all players use Mumble some day. Being a good player will come with time, work your way through the kits, becoming familiar with them all and you'll eventually be a decent all round player.

I use xfire to chat with friends and see whos playing what games etc... If I see a few people I know playing PR, I'll join them as xfire allows me to see what server they're on.

So get yourself Mumble & xfire, venture to the same servers and you're likely to meet the same players every now and then.

I don't think that your 'monophone' will be much use with Mumble, if you have any questions about the 3D positional audio, just ask.

See you round.

[R-Div]Robbi "There's nothing more skanky than eating out of a tub of hummus with a screwdriver."
[R-DEV]Matrox "CHINAAAAAAA!!!"
Last edited by Smegburt_funkledink; 06-06-2009 at 05:10 PM..
Old 06-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #8
goguapsy

Wink Re: What is everything I need to be a good PR player?

rofl, thanks addaco for your tips

I have one question tho, for someone to hear me (when I use mumble "local speech"), do they also need mumble?

cheers!

And yes, I like to play as rifleman, airplanes never have been my strong point, I learned how to fly choppers on PR already, tho. and well, most of the time i play in an INF squad.

And I will "observe" other people in real rounds, and I already started doing it
and as a fact, i think that as a player I have more abilites than some lots of people, im not saying im good, im saying that, well, i can and will improve a lot, and i thank everyone for the support
Old 06-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
addaco

Send a message via MSN to addaco

And one more thing.

Once you have the ability to post in the suggestion forum (after 19 more posts) please request fastropes, I have before, but that was ages ago. Please do it for me

Remember, all you need is fastropz

If a R-MOD sees this little message, i'm sorry

addaco is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Pro tip

Turn ur Game Volume DOWN

this will allow you to hear VOIP and other voice applications more easily.

Using ur computer's master volume you can then balance your game and voice volumes very effectively to ur taste.

[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
good, hardware, player, programs, software