project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
22 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #41
Arnoldio
Banned
Default Re: Sniper Whores get ready to be amazed!

Friggin EA should update the engine to 2142 level or atleast close, so stuff like this is possible.
Arnoldio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #42
[R-MOD]Mongolian_dude
Forum Moderator

[R-MOD]Mongolian_dude's Avatar
Default Re: Sniper Whores get ready to be amazed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChizNizzle View Post
Friggin EA should update the engine to 2142 level or atleast close, so stuff like this is possible.
To EA, $$$ > .

...mongol...

Military lawyers engaged in fierce legal action.
[R-MOD]Mongolian_dude is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #43
Gore
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Gore's Avatar
Default Re: Sniper Whores get ready to be amazed!

That last shot where you can see the bullet travels and hits, it's just awesome man.

Gore is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #44
Simmage

Simmage's Avatar
Send a message via MSN to Simmage
Default Re: Sniper Whores get ready to be amazed!

Interesting... ah well, PR is still king.


___________________________
Simmage is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #45
Qaiex

Qaiex's Avatar
Default Re: Sniper Whores get ready to be amazed!

This is really impressive, I would love to have that, but then we'd definately need to use bipods on those sniper rifles that have them.


Frankly PR has already reached the end of the rope when it comes to the BF2 engine, there are so many things the developers want to put in the game to make it more realistic, but can't, because the engine won't let them.

That is why we have a thread dedicated to suggesting new engines to build a new PR on.


One thing I don't get though, if someone could explain it to me, is why it would prove such an arduous task moving the game over to the 2142 engine.
Is there some kind of difference between making models for different games? Because I always figured as long as you have the model files you can basically export them to any game after you've done bones and such.
And since it's not an immensely advanced engine like the CryEngine, where the models and textures wouldn't be up to standard, but an engine that is similar to the current one, I assumed it might just involve some minor tweaking.

Which part am I missing here?
Qaiex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #46
Anhkhoa

Anhkhoa's Avatar
Default Re: Sniper Whores get ready to be amazed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaiex View Post
This is really impressive, I would love to have that, but then we'd definately need to use bipods on those sniper rifles that have them.


Frankly PR has already reached the end of the rope when it comes to the BF2 engine, there are so many things the developers want to put in the game to make it more realistic, but can't, because the engine won't let them.

That is why we have a thread dedicated to suggesting new engines to build a new PR on.


One thing I don't get though, if someone could explain it to me, is why it would prove such an arduous task moving the game over to the 2142 engine.
Is there some kind of difference between making models for different games? Because I always figured as long as you have the model files you can basically export them to any game after you've done bones and such.
And since it's not an immensely advanced engine like the CryEngine, where the models and textures wouldn't be up to standard, but an engine that is similar to the current one, I assumed it might just involve some minor tweaking.

Which part am I missing here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
lol.

PR has no way reached its limits on the BF2 engine, there is still much we can do. Hopping to a new engine will yes, let us do some things but guess what, new problems will arise. There are many things for example you can do on the BF2 engine which you can not on the BF2142 engine, for a really quick example to name one, you can not adjust the celling in maps so after a plane flys 200m up, it will get stuck like it dose in vbf2.

Hoping onto any old engine without full knowledge of how and what the advantages and more importantly the disadvantages of that engine and without a full design plan knowing exactly what you are going to do etc would be a very bad idea.

That...
What Rhino said

Spaz: I once had a dream where my psychology teacher was 10ft tall and ate me, then she gave birth to me.
Anhkhoa is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #47
Aliblista

Aliblista's Avatar
Default Re: Sniper Whores get ready to be amazed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaiex View Post
Which part am I missing here?
Believe it or not alot of the reasoning and difficulties are 'permissions' related

Right now, no matter what way you look at it PR is more or less reliant on a number of DICE creations: textures,models,terrain models,coding etc etc etc
All (or most) of which the PR team has permission to use in a mod, for BF2, nothing more nothing less.

In order to move to any new engine (yes even DICE made 2142) the dev team would have to re do all of these things themselves which would take years. Otherwise DICE/EA could (and probably would) litigate...yes EA is just that petty.

In addition to the above, the team would then have to deal with all the probs Rhino mentioned i.e. problems/bugs with new inexperienced engine and of course lots of brand new hard coded goodness like the 200m flight limit

=BTB=Aliblista Recruiter/Trainer/Pilot/SL www.bitingthebullet.co.uk
MBP 2.4ghz C2D,2gb RAM, 8600M GT 256MB
Aliblista is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #48
TF6049

TF6049's Avatar
Default Re: Sniper Whores get ready to be amazed!

Don't put the menu-select thing in (It makes it easy for the noobs to hit stuff, and would turn sniper kits into a kiddie must-have). The ricochets are great, as they give the NME's position away and make a sniper all more feared.

"Make sure that: Suppression effect works when bullets hit penetrable metal feces too"

A funny typo by Sgt. Smeg
TF6049 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:26 AM   #49
Hauler

Hauler's Avatar
Default Re: Sniper Whores get ready to be amazed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
yes BF2142 is very much more advanced than BF2 but we can't move to it as we would loose all the vBF2 vehicles, weapons etc we use.

Mosquill would be treading VERY dangerous ground if he released what he is doing.

Why? This is not in PR and I have no idea why it would be "dangerous" if he released it? Please explain that comment?

"Who just threw a grenade at a tank "
Hauler is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:12 AM   #50
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

[R-DEV]Rhino's Avatar
Default Re: Sniper Whores get ready to be amazed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauler View Post
Why? This is not in PR and I have no idea why it would be "dangerous" if he released it? Please explain that comment?
DICE naturally do not like there content from there games being used in other games, even if they own that other game. One mod which will remain nameless, (mainly because I can't remember its name) a while back though it would be a smart idea to port Strike at Karkand and all its statics over to 2142 for there mod, and have 2142 vehicles etc running round it. DICE got a little upset about this and warned them if they did not revert this and get rid of all download links of that mod version with S@K in etc, they would take legal action, luckily for them they did.

Then there is the issue of PR stuff being used for other purposes thou we are much more generous on that front, providing we are asked first.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
amazed, ready, sniper, whores
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin. ©vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
All Content Copyright ©2004 - 2015, Project Reality.