project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default @ CAS - Revive discussion (immature comments will be removed)

So CAS if you feel like it you can finish your revive discussion here so its seperate from the spawn time / rallypoint thing.

Just a friendly discussion about gameplay philosophy and player behavior, I see nothing wrong with some good discussion about ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS_117
I don't wanna get side tracked so @ all the medic stuff, medics reviving needs to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzhead
Okay fair enough, leave the medic revive discussion for a different thread, but needless to say I disagree with you, reviving is a critically important element in PR and I think removing it would bring the game to a much more deathmatch like state. Even games like ACE ArmA have a revive system, and seeing that game played with revives and without I can tell you teamwork is increased greatly with a revive system. I wouldn't be against trying PR without respawns for a release, but I am pretty sure that the result would be mostly negative in the fact that squad cohesion would be much lower than current.
so care to elaborate?
fuzzhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
Alex6714

Default Re: @ CAS - Revive discussion (immature comments will be removed)

Out of curiosity, if I may reply here, why will teamwork disappear if reviving goes?

I know I would work in a team if I was´t revivable, as would many others.

Just curious.

Edit: Would it not actually increase, making medics more important to heal you before you bled out? Making you when you do die need the help of other squads and transport etc to get back to your squad, even perhaps needing them to regroup numbers at the rally?.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
General_J0k3r
Send a message via ICQ to General_J0k3r

@alex: if you have the current damage settings there's a good chance you'll die/get critically wounded pretty quickly. if you remove the revive everyone who gets shot will have to walk from rally/fb. there goes squad cohesion. atm it's kinda doable to keep a squad together. would be near impossible on pubs without the revive (unless you get SL spawning back which I think will never happen )
General_J0k3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
Alex6714

Plenty of times have I been shot yet I actually ducked and hid, bleeding out. Need to get rid of that rambo Ill stick my head up anyway thinking.

But anyway, if revives did not go, then I think it would be safe to increase it to 1 shot kill most of the time then? 2-3 shots to kill + the ability to be revived afterwards is a bit too much imo. You still have to add in latency and hitbox issues.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
$kelet0r

I've pretty much wanted reviving gone since day one - it's just so 'gamey'. One of the main things it hurts is the concept of falling back and regrouping - in PR still, the gameplay mechanics continue to reward 'forward at all cost' attack only mentality, because half-wiping out an enemy squad only slows them down, rather than eliminating that particular threat.
$kelet0r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
CAS_117

will reply when I get back.
CAS_117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
Tim270
Retired PR Developer

I think its fine as it is... I mean it is somewhat realistic to be able to find soldiers that have been shot, are unconscious but still alive. The ultimate awesomeness would be, at least for the conventional teams, would be to revive someone and then they have say 2 mins to live and they have to medevac back to main and go inside a tent or 'hospital' for a little while until they are healed and able to return to duty. But this would require a dedicated medevac vehicle, which would get overwhelmed with calls all the time i guess, and it would split squads up.
Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
Zi8

Well, how about tweaking the current revive&heal system a bit (if its possible):

Make the actual revive process much more longer. The current one is "hit with epipen & crawl for safety, heal and ready to fight in 15 seconds". How about the medic fiddling around with his medic bag/instruments and then the fallen one revives. This should take more time than current system

Then increase the healing time from the medics back or make it depleted after x amount of healing so its not a infinite source for health. And this can be reloaded somewhere later.

There could be a issue with the field dressings but this is just an idea

Zi8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
cyberzomby

I agree on Rhino with this. If you remove reviving than you lose squad cohesion. Even in games like COD search and destroy It always feels like: Who has the best luck or aiming skills. Its not that hes a better player or tactician but because he got a better spot earlier than you.

With the reviving system you get up again and have a chance to outwit your opponent. Falling back is very alive in a revive system. If you keep getting revived and keep getting shot, you cant convince me that theres no purpose of falling back. Its simple. If you cant win a fight you fall back and try to catch the enemy there or flank them from your falling back point.

With a system with no revives your fallback move will be: Oh shit! We lost half our squad, fall back and wait for them to regroup. Chances are that when you need to fall back the enemy has a better squad or position so theres not much else to do than this right?
cyberzomby is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
{UK}Suzeran
Banned

):PR still, the gameplay mechanics continue to reward 'forward at all cost' attack only mentality, because half-wiping out an enemy squad only slows them down

totally agree

Make the actual revive process much more longer. The current one is "hit with epipen & crawl for safety, heal and ready to fight in 15 seconds

also true i wana know what the hell is the point of revive hands is it just a half finished concept? all i can do is jog a person around a little like a attempt at carry rescues in a engine where u cannot do them.

dedicated med evac would be great but not with 32 players a team, and most of them not communicating through commander or text you see??!!! We may as well have a cooks kit

The forward at all costs mentality needs a little trweekage inmy opinion though
{UK}Suzeran is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
cas, comments, discussion, immature, medic, removed, revive