project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #41
Ghost1800

Default Re: @ CAS - Revive discussion (immature comments will be removed)

What, wave spawning like in 1942? Is that doable?
Ghost1800 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #42
Threedroogs
Supporting Member

along with the .9 medic tweaks, i think just removing the RPs would do the trick (although i am not 100% decided on RP removal yet). i am certainly for tweaking the revive system, but i see no reason to remove it.

reviving is very important to keep the squad together, but i dont like the fact that we can wait for a medic to spawn on the RP to revive us. i can just grab a beer and wait 1 minute while the medic comes from the RP to revive me, even though he was killed in the same firefight i was. that just seems wrong, in my opinion.

i also dont like how you can pick up a fallen medic's kit off the ground. is there any way to code it so that only the medic kit dissappears instantly at death? or is it all or nothing?

Ingame name: StrkTm Pygar

Eggyweggs...I would like to smash 'em!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3-E3xuQtqI
Threedroogs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #43
Colonelcool125

I'd be fine with no revives as long as the bleed out time is increased. That gives the medic more time to get to people to heal them, but still rewards the precise shooter if he gets a kill with a headshot.
Colonelcool125 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #44
Wheeter
Supporting Member

Why not remove respawning altogether? The fear of getting shot will make sure people don't need to be revived because they aren't counting on their infinite lives and will actually stick to cover and move cautiously. Or you could put a limit on the amount of times a certain player can respawn...
Wheeter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #45
JKRMAUI

I think medics are a critical part of Inf teamplay.

I do think having medics makes the squad. PR is an outstanding game because of squad work.
Medics give squads survivability. If you're squad survives, you probably will be revived/healed. I always play for the squad. I am not worried about my own well being, as much as I am worried about my medics SL and other shooters.

The squad is the soul of PR. I am against anything that takes away from the squads ability to act as a unit, and keep together. If every one who dies has to respawn at a FB or main, they aren't with the squad. To me, that means the squad is dead.

Take away RP, the squad will manage. Take away FBs, the squad will manage.

You can't due away with medics. If you did, quite a few people would still try to manage and go through maps. This might work for AAS etc, but Ins mode would be unplayable in it's current form.

As for the fear of getting shot. PR already has that. Any time you're in a good round, or defending an asset. You feel pressure to stay alive and do your job.

I see some ideas for making deaths less desirable. People will get used to it, or leave. Look at counter strike, you only get one life per round. That does not put fear into the average player. As a veteran gamer. The only time I feel the "fear" of death is when I'm pressed to do something, zero fail mode. I cannot fail, if I fail bad things will happen to my team. Most of the ideas I see are very interesting, but in the end I feel they will serve only to make PR less fun to play.
Last edited by JKRMAUI; 04-15-2009 at 07:04 PM..
Old 04-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #46
CAS_117

Quote:
- having such a brutal combat environment (die with no respawn / lets say no RP) means as a squad leader, you need to have your shit EXTREMELY well together if you intend to run a well disciplined squad that follows orders. If you slip up one second and get someone killed, the guy that got killed is much less likely to follow your orders in the future. There is no saving grace, he got killed and its your fault, and damned if he wants to walk all the way back from base again just to get killed again because you gave him a poor order. With the current revive system, its much easier to gain the trust of your squad. This is very important in a public game as you may not have ever played with the guys in your squad before and getting them to trust your judgment and follow your orders is usually a difficult task already in the current game, but many players are successful at this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMerriam-Webster Online Dictionary View Post
: work done by several associates with each doing a part but all subordinating personal prominence to the efficiency of the whole
"Teamwork is Based Upon Success: By Sir Issac Newton, and CAS_117"

Work (W) = Force (F) x Distance (d)

If

F = 99999 kilo Newtons - Your effort

and

d = 0 meters - Your Success Rate

then

(99999 kN) x (0 m) = 0

W = 0

0 Joules of work

No work has been done.

Therefore:

Team + Work = Team(work)

Team + 0 = Team x (0)

Team = 0

One solution is to only push small objects. The other could be to use a bulldozer.
Last edited by CAS_117; 04-15-2009 at 07:02 PM..
Old 04-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #47
victor_phx

I have nothing against the reviving system. What bothers me is the HEALING system: a medic gets shot to death, and someone revives him; next step is the medic healing himself for 10 seconds or so and there you go! He's ready for another bullet in the heart... and the same applies to when he is shot to near death.

Soldiers could get ressuscitated, yes, but healed somewhere else, like in the old suggestion of a medic tent, medical center or something.

rakowozz
victor_phx is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #48
Durandal

Revive system is fine. Its better than fine.... its totally awesome. The main problem is there are too many cases of just "wounded" and not "dead." Most body and head shots should go straight to death, whereas leg/arm shots should result in "wounded" state.

Not sure if this ^ is even possible - but my main problem is that I can kill a guy 7 times in a row, and the medic can just keep reviving him. I just think revives happen far too much to simulate realism. The revive mechanic should NOT be a substitute for a medic patching up a teammate while he's still alive.

But, if that is not fixable, I'm more for keeping a medic's revive in rather than getting rid of it altogether. It adds a lot of depth to the medic class, and honestly, I don't think it happens too much to make it such a huge issue.
Durandal is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #49
$kelet0r

TBH much as everyone might like, you cannot truly seperate out three game items
A - respawn time
B - respawn method
C - reviving
Confusing as that may become, they are each inextricably linked, changing one and not the others is not a solution. Now everyone implicitly or explicitly knows the medic class is a problem - it has been tinkered with inconclusively in almost every PR iteration.

The options for each of the above can be summed up below (all other ideas are immaterial as they are not solutions):

A: respawn time
1 - 30-60 seconds down time
2 - Wave spawning every x minutes

B: respawn method
1 - keep rallypoints
2 - remove rallypoints

C: reviving
1 - magic epipen
2 - no reviving

Currently we have A1, B1 and C1 - which is still less than satisfactory. My preference (as a war sim'r) is for A2, B2, C2 - aka wave spawning, no convenient rallypoints and no magic shock paddles ... er ... epipen. The solution is somewhere in between?
$kelet0r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #50
Psyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost1800 View Post
What, wave spawning like in 1942? Is that doable?
sure! why not. its just a matter of timing them, right? i mean if they can get the spawns not to work when 3 enemys come into proximity with it, its doable right?

plus i would rather leave mainbase with a bunch of guys on mumble who were as unsuccessful as i was than having my ass kicked, sent back to rally only to check the map and see my squad members "steaming" from the rally like a chain of ants walking into trouble. which i think is, (and i have chosen my words wisly) retarded.

And when i think of it, the transport trucks spawn at mainbase, i mean... the gameplay dynamics are already there and in place (the vehicles the death timer) all we need now is the option to spawn on a blinking spawnpoint. because we know that if the rallys down, there will be a bunch of guys at main to greet me.

Also, i dont know why it hasnt been tryed yet, but im pretty sure its because nobody has bothered to try it. lol

DAMNIT WHAT A BAD TIME FOR JAYMZ TO BE EXTRODITED!!!
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
cas, comments, discussion, immature, medic, removed, revive