project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Do the small number of flags in AASv3 discourage retreating?

I was playing on Qwai and the USA AT vehicles were dead, Chi tanks were pwning us up

But what could we do really? Fall back from the flag radius?

Well, thats nice in theory, but if we did not hold the flag, our main would be in jepordy since only 1 flag would stand between them and victory.

I know that retreating is a really hard skill for people to learn in a game

but I think AASv3 with smaller numbers of flags than in teh AASv2 format results in a discouragement to retreating.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
addaco

Send a message via MSN to addaco
Default Re: Do the small number of flags in AASv3 discourage retreating?

That can be annoying, but I think there are other problems with AAS V3

The random CP is a good idea, but maps often become too unbalanced (1 team ahs more flags on their side of the map)

addaco is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
DankE_SPB
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to DankE_SPB Send a message via Skype™ to DankE_SPB

cap radius usually very big, so you have place to retreat, i see no point in retreating at 1km distance
DankE_SPB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
dbzao
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

It's not something natural to most players to retreat in a game (or even defend). That concept is just moot for them, or they never think about it.

So to me it's not about the number of flags, but the mindset.

I don't retreat as much as I would like, but it's impressive the times when you do, you can actually get things so much better after you do it.

Just last night I was playing with the aussies on BigD. We did a crazy rush to the Gas Station as MEC on EJOD after we captured the city. We got there but we found ourselves surrounded with people N, S and E of us. We tried holding as much as we could hoping the team would catch on, but they didn't. We lost our RP and so we had 2 options: hold up as much as we could and probably get all killed, or retreat back north and regroup. I chose the second one. We threw smoke grenades, waited a little and took a dash north and all survived. We regrouped, rearmed, got kits, and attacked from a different angle with the team supporting us this time.
dbzao is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

taking qwai as an example, the entire northwest side is very exposed, if u want to retreat from tanks...there's not really anywhere to run apart from south, which is generally towards the enemy...which makes it anti-retreating

edit - cool story db. but Ejod is aasv2 isn't it?

Old 04-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
dbzao
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Don't know why you call it AASv2 because it's the same as AASv3 anyways.

The main difference now is that there are less flags and bigger radiuses, but that's just map design, not gamemodes.

Considering EJOD has now 3 flags instead of 6 like before, EJOD would be "AASv3" in your concept.
dbzao is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
IAJTHOMAS

Think Rudd means v2 as being fixed flags, like Kashan and v3 as having the randomly spawning ones like Quinling.

Having fewer flags, especially if there's not a very large radius certainly seems to discourage withdrawing or retreating. You risk losing the flag and in the games where there a fewer flags this seems to be of greater significance. Not sure if it actually is in terms of the effect on rounds, but certainly for me its psychologically worse to go from owning 2/3 of the flags to 1/3, than say 4/5 to 3/5.

IAJTHOMAS is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Sorry for confusion, I thought AASv3 was random flag arrangement, and on maps with this arrangement that had AASv2 before that, they ahve far fewer flags, in a linear arrangement.

Tags
aasv3, discourage, flags, number, retreating, small