project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
22 Nov 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 07:19 AM   #21
Truism
Default Re: Piloting Helicopters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incomplete Spork View Post
No need to punish the whole team like that for a shitty pilot and how much AA spam there is. Only transport on Kashan is walking or helo. Anything else and you can count on getting blown up.
Yes, there is. Teams SHOULD be collectively punished, that's one of the things that PR's ethos stresses - teamwork and collective responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS_117 View Post
Sources plz?
Wikipedia actually . According to them 2400 Blackhawks were produced, while the US Army and Marines combined operate just under 6000 Abrams. It's not the sort of stats that get messed with on Wikifail though. Wouldn't mind verifying it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2B Rudd View Post
if that is true, its a case to increase the number of tanks on maps like kashan rather than decrease the number of trans helos.

imo, seeing a lone chopper on ANY PR map looks weird, especially if that chopper is unarmed.
No, it's not a case for increasing the number of tanks because the numbers of infantry also have to figure into the ratios most of the time. There are too many tank respawns on Kashan anyway (completely losing the first tank battle rarely costs a team as much as it should because of the second wave of tanks that are deployed on the delayed timer).

The respawn timer on trans heloes should just be increased and troops should have to walk further when their team stuffs up. AA saturation is not too high, and AA is generally not effective enough when compared to flares. Helicopters are not used in a particularly realistic way in PR, and that should change. "Hot" insertions are more or less a thing of the past - no commander is realistically going to expose a $5million helicopter to as much risk as we habitually do in PR. Helicopters are for cold and safe insertions - Humvees are for lukewarm ones and APC/Tanks are for hot ones.
Truism is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #22
Alex6714

When will people realise that respawn times aren´t going to affect how people will use something how you want, as long as you can simply leave the server and join another.

If anything there aren´t enough tanks on kashan to simulate a proper combined arms map.

The infantry should only be going in anywhere once the area has been secured anyway.

If you think aa is ineffective, I think with all due respect you are doing it wrong. Yeah its not a one shot god kill all the time, but it shouldn´t be either.

If you want people to behave somewhat realistically in a game, then they have to be put into a realistic environment, not one where there are artificial limitations in place to force people into something, cos that just takes away from immersion and breaks up the feeling of realism imo.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #23
Majorpain

Put a time limit on the Pilot kit.

I.e. Transport chopper on map respawns in 10 mins, so have 15 mins until you get the pilot kit back.

Goods pilots who dont die for a long time will instantly be able to get the kit back, Vanilla noobs will end up waiting next to it or watching someone else steal it.
Majorpain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #24
Alex6714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorpain View Post
Put a time limit on the Pilot kit.

I.e. Transport chopper on map respawns in 10 mins, so have 15 mins until you get the pilot kit back.

Goods pilots who dont die for a long time will instantly be able to get the kit back, Vanilla noobs will end up waiting next to it or watching someone else steal it.
I think this has been suggested, only problem is its up to abuse, from TKs, to random lagspikes.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #25
SocketMan

Perhaps if both teams had air assets on most maps the number of "pilots" would be
split and so as the number of crashes.I am pretty sure there was a PR release
where if you jumped into an air asset and crashed you got auto kicked
for negative points right away.Perhaps that needs to be brought back.
SocketMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #26
Cptkanito

Send a message via MSN to Cptkanito

Whats wrong with the current system. Ye sure that Vanilla noobs crash 'em but they should learn from the wisdom of good Project Reality Squads. If they don't learn, then they should go back to vanilla or grow up and start acting like they got a pair...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cptkanito is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #27
[R-MOD]Mongolian_dude
Forum Moderator

I think there are many many capable pilots out there and most often than not, they will be flying.
Only issue is that not all these pilots are thinking outside the cockpit.
While their flight ability is decent, perhaps their critical and stratiegic thinking is not in full-gear.
You'll be suprised how little it dawns on transport pilots that landing on a flag is an extreme risk.

I feel that its important to be aware of 'battle-lines' that get drawn up in almost every round of PR.
These lines are formed by players and naturally by map terrain and flag layout.
For example, the Central Hills on Kashan quite neatly devide the map. If your forces hold a part of that hill, you can assume you have quite a fair bit of freedom around there and that landing wouldnt be too much of an issue.
The better the players on the server, the borader the battle-lines are, however expect them to shift quicker, yet less often.
Also keep in mind, flags attract flies. So keep your s**t away from flags.

...mongol...

Military Lawyers engaged in fierce action

[R-MOD]Mongolian_dude is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #28
Robbi
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Robbi Send a message via Skype™ to Robbi

Remember AA is more of a deterant than a killer if facing a good pilot.

Keep AA near other Armour units and you wont go far wrong

Helos on the other hand are a mixed bunch atm....

Robbi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #29
squeaky024

Right now id say the entire system is ok, just some helis need a rework on the way they fly

For example: when i was landing a black hawk i find myself swaying back and fourth because of the super sensitive pitch and roll angles.. i ended up side swiping a building and blowing up because of this. I use a joystick and i barely had to move it a few millimeters to move the heli a huge distance sideways.
squeaky024 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #30
TheLean
Supporting Member

Noobs crashing chopper after chopper is a problem. How about if a pilot crash to ground then the pilot kit is not available for that person the rest of the round (not counting shotdowns)?
TheLean is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
helicopters, piiloting, piloting