project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
17 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
CPU

Default Re: The history of Project Reality

I (well, the entire TC Clan) joined in 2.x with [R-Dev]Rhino. Boy what a relevation it was, we'd been playing vBF for a long time but we all felt a little "reality" was what was needed. The first map I played PR on was 'Rolling Thunder' (all the early maps were vBF maps) and the strange bug it had where you could crawl across the waterfall itself at the dam. And then Rhino brought out PR map 'Muttrah 1' and I still vividly remember us taking that first flight down main in the LB, it was like OMG

I was there for the never-ending Beta testing, the numerous wars, as well as the thriving clan battles. It was never a problem to fill a 64 slot server back then

Looking back at the retired map list (I remember them all) that sure brings back a lot of good memories, shame so many got the chop in the name of progress

I did put up some videos from the "old" days, nothing special, but may be of interest to those with a liking for old history ( type this into google " cpuuk project reality site:youtube.com " )

I don't play PR any more since I moved to 64bit Win7 which PR didn't work with, although BF2 did O_o

Look forward to what you guys do next

everytime they build a new fool-proof system, someone gives birth to a better fool
CPU is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

hey cpu, long time no see

PR works fine on Win7 x64, but if your having problems its nothing that can't be fixed.

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-...-guide-pr.html

I think that's the topic for getting it to work, but if not you should be able to find it somewhere in here: PR:BF2 Support - Project Reality Forums

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:44 AM   #13
Figisaacnewton

Damn it's been a while. I wonder how hard it would be to include a list of all the beta testers hahah.

But yeah if anybody cares, I started playing PR when 0.2 came out, I think because solodude from Desert Combat Realism (BF42) told me about it.

Played a lot, eventually got inducted into the beta team and beta-tested a lot. I remember fighting through the streets of Iran to rescue a downed pilot, being one of the first to try to storm the hills of Hamgyong, and finding that weird glitch in the python that broke the squad specific weapons whenever someone's name included a non alphanumeric character. I remember tap dancing in the helicopter on Ghost Train, and shooting the hell out of Basrah as an Insurgent and a Brit for the promo video. Tested through version 6 and into the beginnings of 0.7

But, come Fall 2007, classes at the University of Washington commanded my attention so I couldn't really beta anymore. I suppose if I can't find a job outta college I'll be free to beta-test some more haha! It's awesome to look back and find this place still vibrant and growing. Proud to have history here!

Figisaacnewton is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
[R-DEV]Psyrus
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPU View Post
I did put up some videos from the "old" days, nothing special, but may be of interest to those with a liking for old history ( type this into google " cpuuk project reality site:youtube.com " )

I don't play PR any more since I moved to 64bit Win7 which PR didn't work with, although BF2 did O_o
http://www.youtube.com/user/cpuuk#g/a
Oh man suuuuuch good memories. A time where PR was far less serious. It was a great game, but in a totally different way to what it is now. PR now is to PRMM what PRMM was to BF2 imo. Just that next step . People have often said I have rose tinted glasses on when I harp on about how awesome the *good old days* were but watching those videos brings it all back.

Oh and by the way, PR definitely works with W7 64bit.
[R-DEV]Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #15
=]H[= Apollo

Can 0.96 and 0.97 be added to the OP's post?

=]H[= Apollo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:23 AM   #16
40mmrain
Supporting Member

nice compilation. I started playing at 0.85, and it was pretty similar to what we play today. IT used to be really different from what I can see..

Why so many retired maps? surely some of them are still playable for AAS or insurgency?
40mmrain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #17
dtacs
Supporting Member

None of them meet the PR development standard or are more attuned to previous iterations of PR. Ejod Desert for example was too simplistic and lacked depth. It worked originally, but when tanks, APC's and TOW Humvees were added the map proved to be too small and not up to the standard of other maps.

Theres alot of debate over maps such as Ghost Train which could be bought back in, however 1KM maps (OGT, Fallujah, Tad Sae size) are gradually being phased out because 2 and 4KM maps give larger, near infinite replay value which is very apt.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #18
Almost

Man, I remember playing the very first release of this game....and then the first tourny with Ol' Gaz as my Squad Lead....those were the days...Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av_L1jhxkio

I knew I could find it....Lol.
Almost is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:46 AM   #19
PFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
N
Theres alot of debate over maps such as Ghost Train which could be bought back in, however 1KM maps (OGT, Fallujah, Tad Sae size) are gradually being phased out because 2 and 4KM maps give larger, near infinite replay value which is very apt.
I feel like there was nothing wrong with OGT that can't be fixed with a little Muttrah City treatment. Meaning, just make it bigger, keep the idea the same, and streamline for the modern game and come out with a 'version 2'.

I will say that there is something particular to OGT that is now missing in PR now. Everything is so desert or urban oriented, I miss the jungle. Everyone talks about how hard it is to see players' kits at range, or they used to, in OGT a good player could hide from you 5 meters away. Squad ops in the jungle are my favourite PR memory. Never did I ever experience so much panic at not being able to identify the location of fire. Get two full squads firing at each other it might as well be some image of the Civil War in the Wilderness.

Maybe I loved OGT so much because I started playing around .7 when Deviation was pwning everyone's ability to kill stuff and in the jungle you were always right on top of them so it didn't matter as much.

[PR]NATO|P*Funk

PFunk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:42 AM   #20
AFsoccer
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

The issue is performance. Making a realistic looking jungle on anything larger than 1km is very difficult without lagging everyone out.

AFsoccer is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
history, project, reality