project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
CanuckCommander

Default Lesson: Why you shouldn't pick up enemy kits.

In the forums, I see many of you making threads asking questions or condemning the new, but necessary, bug in PR.85 that causes players to pick up helmets and other gear of enemy kits as well as the rifle. Some of you argue that this is very unrealistic and should be changed immediately.

I disagree! Here is why. It is very realistic that you might get shot by friendlies if you use OPFOR gear or weapons. In PR, this is reduced by the MAP and HUD marking friendlies and friendly names. In real life, in fact, it would be EVEN MORE likely to get shot by friendlies.

For example,

Since Generation Kill is based on a real story, this should teach you all a lesson. If friendly fire like this can happen in real life, I don't see why trigger-happy video gamers in PR won't do the same.

LESSON HERE, DON'T PICK UP ENEMY KITS UNLESS NECESSARY!! Enjoy , start watching from 3:00. The lesson is at 4:15.

Generation Kill - 1x06 - Some Great Bits

For those who haven't seen generation kill, here is the story. Gen kill is about the current Iraq war. For more info, please google Generation Kill.

The "mexican," Gabe, in the story, lost his helmet while in the turret of a HMMV going over rough and bumpy terrain (no he didn't have the strap on). Since the convoy can't stop for 1 man to pick up his helmet, he was forced to pick up an Iraqi helmet and repaint it to be a replacement.

While on foot patrol, he and his squad was mistaken for Iraqis and "got lit up" by a friendly HMMMV. When asked why the gunner started to shoot at the friendlies, he said, "I saw an Iraqi helmet." This goes to show that, a great risk comes with picking up enemy equipment. That is why armies wear uniforms, not only for camo purposes, but also for identification purposes.

In my opinion, even though the bug might look silly at times, it is a great "unintentional" addition to PR because it reduces the amount of kit swapping between factions, a phenomenon that is highly unrealistic because soldiers usually stick with their own rifles due to familiarity.

After you watch, come back and tell me what you've learned
Last edited by CanuckCommander; 01-25-2009 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Did you not read? Saobh? Embedding disabled by request!
Old 01-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Cassius

Default Re: [Lesson] Why you shouldn't pick up enemy kits.

Well that was one case. I can see how it is more likely that friendlies get lit up without all the markers, but you describe a rare occurrence. If you would have displayed how picking up just the weapon plays out irl and how the bug reflects that you would have made more your point.

|TG|cap_Kilgore

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cassius is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:33 AM   #3
General_J0k3r
Send a message via ICQ to General_J0k3r

i agree. unless infiltrating or finding a neat enemy special kit don't do it. and the neat special kit does NOT include crewman and pilot kits
General_J0k3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:11 AM   #4
bondsan

last night on an insurgent map i saw a red rag top led prone facing from right to left 100 metre range, i took one look at the rag and blasted it..... 0.0000001 second later i was punished for a team kill i was then screamed at "why did you kill me noob ?" erm cos you were wearing a turban !
bondsan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:26 AM   #5
WilhelmTell

I wish you could not pick up enemy kits. Just for gameplay issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WilhelmTell is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:32 AM   #6
General_J0k3r
Send a message via ICQ to General_J0k3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilhelmTell View Post
I wish you could not pick up enemy kits. Just for gameplay issues.
why? it's great. and realistic to a certain extent
General_J0k3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:43 AM   #7
WilhelmTell

Because I find it very irritating when you get shot at by an insurgent with a "stolen" M16.
And it's in some cases not very realistic. Like an insurgent that knows how to handle the US Heavy AT kit.

WilhelmTell is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:54 AM   #8
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

The team what allows the HAT to fall in to insurgent hands...is a bad team.

I had a SM who got the HAT on fallujah, he shall go nameless....

"SUPER_TIMO"

....and I told him he was not allowed to leave main unless he got another kit

Very busy IRL at this time, do not be suprised if I don't reply to PMs for prolonged periods.
[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:58 AM   #9
Solid Knight

Not much use for the HAT on insurgency. Technicals are easy to deal with. Really, it's only good for hitting clusters or caches from long distance.
Solid Knight is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:01 AM   #10
shifty66
Supporting Member

Well one must assume if they picked it up they have prior knowledge.

" border="0" />
*14 sigs made for PR members Ingame name:supermannen6 Not making sigs anymore. Army life does not permit it! hah
shifty66 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
enemy, kits, lesson, pick