project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Zeppelin35

Default Do the range finders on the scoped AK-74 work?

I noticed that the AK-74 has range finders on the right side of the scope. I'm just wondering if you can actually use them to find the distance to an enemy or if they're just for show. I didn't think about checking yesterday so that's why I'm asking.
Zeppelin35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
nedlands1

Default Re: Do the range finders on the scoped AK-74 work?

Probably for show. They will scale differently with different monitor aspect ratios (ie the markings will correspond to different ranges with different ratios).

nedlands1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
daranz

None of the rangefinders or mil markings in PR are accurate. It's impossible to make them accurate for everyone, so they're mostly for show.

daranz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
NYgurkha

except for the Grenadier kit grenade launchers whose sights notches go in increments of 50m with 1 showing 100m and 2 showing 200m.

NYgurkha is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
daranz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgurkha View Post
except for the Grenadier kit grenade launchers whose sights notches go in increments of 50m with 1 showing 100m and 2 showing 200m.
Except that even those are slightly different at different resolution ratios, especially at longer ranges.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
thouts are HUD sights and not model / texture sights like the scopes, + they are not 100% actuate as they vary depending on what type of screen rez you are using but they are good enough for UGL.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
Astromici

So what you're saying is that no sights are 100% accurate except for the center?
Astromici is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
waldo_ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromici View Post
So what you're saying is that no sights are 100% accurate except for the center?
No range-finders are 100% accurate. The regular ironsights are perfect though.

|TGXV| Waldo_II

waldo_ii is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
Grasli

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daranz View Post
Except that even those are slightly different at different resolution ratios, especially at longer ranges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
thouts are HUD sights and not model / texture sights like the scopes, + they are not 100% actuate as they vary depending on what type of screen rez you are using but they are good enough for UGL.
Hmn, that explains a lot. They are as accurate as they can be, but as you say it vary depending on the screen resolution you are using.

Its the same with the GL sights in vBF2 too (vanilla). Im one of those who know how to use it at long range, and I know it sounds weird but I can FEEL where the shot will go too - something I got used to on resolution 1024*768 long back. Then I changed to resolution 1280*1024, and I noticed a slight difference in how I needed to aim with the sights. And now lately I have gotten a widescreen monitor and now I am using the resolution 1680*1050 w/widescreen in shortcut, and I noticed a difference when I changed to that resolution too.

So in PR when I used resolution 1280*1024 a while back, the GL sights were completely accurate for me (I think). Now with the resolution 1680*1050 its a little bit different, but not that much though..

So yeah, the sights and how you should aim vary depending on what screen res you are using..
But WHY it does that, I dont know. Because the BF2 engine is "old"? Or is it the same with other games as well..? Anyone who knows?
Last edited by Grasli; 01-24-2009 at 05:48 PM..
Old 01-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
daranz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasli View Post
But WHY it does that, I dont know. Because the BF2 engine is "old"? Or is it the same with other games as well..? Anyone who knows?
My guess is that different resolutions ratios alter the FOV in both directions slightly, but all resolution ratios feature the same reticule in the middle of the screen.

Tags
ak74, finders, range, scoped, work