project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
22 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
Regan
Default Saitek x52 level flight problem

Hi
I have just purchased the Saitek x52 joystick. I want to use it with this game, but when flying a helicopter, I just cannot seem to get level flight. Unlike with the mouse where level flight is easy, using the joystick seems to rock the heli left and right, making it very hard to level once rolling left or right. I purchased the stick after talking in game to a guy that was using one. Because not only was he doing level flight with it, but he was also flying between the buildings in the streets and stopping and hovering in one place. Now unless this guy was somehow cheating, (probably wasn't) I’m just not sure how he was doing this with this stick. I have tried to change all setting in the game, but never get anywhere near what he was doing. My main concern is trying to get level flight! Anyone got any ideas?
Last edited by Regan; 10-13-2008 at 09:58 AM..
Old 10-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
[R-MOD]Cp
Forum Moderator
Project Reality Beta Tester

Default Re: Saitek x52 level flight problem

PEBKAC

Practice makes perfect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-MOD]Cp is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Cp View Post
lol, haven't heard of that term before.

but ye, generally mouse and keyboard are easier, but if you get use to a joystick it becomes much better, thou most chopper flyers use mouse+kb but I personally use a joystick (the x52 in fact )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
Regan

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
lol, haven't heard of that term before.

but ye, generally mouse and keyboard are easier, but if you get use to a joystick it becomes much better, thou most chopper flyers use mouse+kb but I personally use a joystick (the x52 in fact )
How can it get easier when you cannot get a level flight? I have always used joysticks for as long as I can remember, yet to get level flight in this, without the heli rocking slightly left and right... seems impossible. That makes me wonder how this guy was doing this, it was as if he was flying the battlefield 2 Helis which are easy with a joystick.
Regan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

its not impossible for me, in fact I dont find it hard at all with a joystick...

Old 10-13-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
Tirak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regan View Post
How can it get easier when you cannot get a level flight? I have always used joysticks for as long as I can remember, yet to get level flight in this, without the heli rocking slightly left and right... seems impossible. That makes me wonder how this guy was doing this, it was as if he was flying the battlefield 2 Helis which are easy with a joystick.
Ease up on the stick and when it starts to drift give light correction and you'll begin to rock back, then give light imput in the other way, if you do it right, your heli stands firm for a little while.

Tirak is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
[R-MOD]Cp
Forum Moderator

Regan, if the joystick always seems to turn one or another way you might want to open up the software you got with the joystick and apply a small deadzone to the X and Y axis of the joystick.

I have no trouble with my X52, I still believe that the PEBKAC, its a different joystick then the one you had previously and thus it might take some time to get used to it. I noticed that the X52 is very sensitive (sensitivity is a good thing) and that the spring that centers the stick is a bit stiff (it gets looser after a month or two)

still, try playing around with the deadzones and practice some more and see if anything improves.

Last edited by [R-MOD]Cp; 10-15-2008 at 03:14 AM..
Old 10-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
Regan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirak View Post
Ease up on the stick and when it starts to drift give light correction and you'll begin to rock back, then give light imput in the other way, if you do it right, your heli stands firm for a little while.
Thanks for the reply, so I take it then that there is a problem gaining level flight using the X52 joystick. The method you have suggested is what I have been doing, It's just I find it annoying having to make these corrections every few seconds or so. How that guy I spoke to, was able to fly doing the things he was doing...is beyond me. How could he fly down aload of streets, between buldings and all, if you constantley have to make these corrections to level your flight.

@R-CON

Are you able to get level flight? Do the choppers rock left and right when you fly them?
Last edited by Regan; 10-13-2008 at 10:41 AM..
Old 10-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #9
[R-MOD]Cp
Forum Moderator

I can fly perfectly level, I can even go into perfect hovers upside down and leave the computer for 15 minutes and come back and find the chopper at the exact same spot as before, still upside down.
The X52 is superb which is why I think your problem exists between the keyboard and the chair.

[R-MOD]Cp is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #10
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Cp View Post
I can fly perfectly level, I can even go into perfect hovers upside down and leave the computer for 15 minutes and come back and find the chopper at the exact same spot as before, still upside down.
The X52 is superb which is why I think your problem exists between the keyboard and the chair.
lies!

Tags
flight, level, problem, saitek, x52