project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #21
Psyko
Default Re: Jabal Q...

flooding a map with water solves nothing. the gameplay can be good, but the landscape just needs to be altered. most of the hills that are below the flood plain can be altered. but personally, i'd change it from a 2k map to a 4k map and expand the fighting a bit more, if not for infantry, then for gunships.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thanks for all the hard work PR team!
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #22
[R-DEV]Dr Rank
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

You can't just 'expand' a map, if you want it to be 4km you have to start from scratch (you may be able to copy accross some of the heightmap but you will really need to know what you're doing to do that). Once again its the age old comment; "You want? You do!" Best thing to do with Jabal is leave it as it is, if Fuzz gets his version finished you'll hear about it, otherwise get cracking with that editor! Imagine if everyone who had an idea for a map took the time to make one. Man, we'd have so many maps!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]Dr Rank is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #23
[R-CON]Psyrus
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykogundam View Post
flooding a map with water solves nothing. the gameplay can be good, but the landscape just needs to be altered. most of the hills that are below the flood plain can be altered. but personally, i'd change it from a 2k map to a 4k map and expand the fighting a bit more, if not for infantry, then for gunships.
Alternatively, we can leave something that works great as it is alone (hmm kinda like deviation of yore) and not go making changes just for change's sake

I dunno, I agree with the above posters, regardless of which team I'm on, I tend to have a consistently good game on Jabal. The exception being when the rest of my team are poo [for lack of a less polite term] and the MEC get to DAM before my USMC team does. Now there's aggravation.
[R-CON]Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #24
[R-DEV]Outlawz7

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Dr Rank View Post
Once again its the age old comment; "You want? You do!"
More like "Gimme permission and I do", else I'll get permabanned

Anyway does fuzzhead have anything to say about this? Did the remake idea die or is it delayed, etc..

Originally Posted by whatshisname55:
"Ah yes, that link to your hard drive is working perfectly."
[R-DEV]Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #25
Harrod200

Quote:
You can't just 'expand' a map, if you want it to be 4km you have to start from scratch (you may be able to copy accross some of the heightmap but you will really need to know what you're doing to do that). Once again its the age old comment; "You want? You do!" Best thing to do with Jabal is leave it as it is, if Fuzz gets his version finished you'll hear about it, otherwise get cracking with that editor! Imagine if everyone who had an idea for a map took the time to make one. Man, we'd have so many maps!!!
I tried before, but am a n00b and even wit hthe instructions in th emodding section couldn't get my head around it. A shame, I liked mapping for 1942. Unless someone could guide me through it step by step over TS/whatever, I shall stick with making rediculous demands upon you all!

The original gun freak gaymer geek

Harrod200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:01 PM   #26
Smegburt_funkledink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangu View Post
Actually Smeg, not a bad idea!
I hope you're joking, as the picture I posted was. i just wanted to point out what a lot of people have said about the dam being in an unrealistic place. A picture speaks a thousand words.

I too have enjoyed many awesome rounds on Jabal but for the sake of realism, I wouldn't be too sad if Jabal was gone.

As Devs such as Dr Rank, Rhino, Coderedfox, duckhunt, OkitaMakoto &Co have worked on maps in authentic locations, my hat comes off to them.

Trying to cater for fictional battles for the PLA or MEC can be more imaginative, so certain things can be overlooked.

[R-Div]Robbi "There's nothing more skanky than eating out of a tub of hummus with a screwdriver."
[R-DEV]Matrox "CHINAAAAAAA!!!"
Smegburt_funkledink is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #27
Psyko

Quote:
-_- i cant get cracking with the editor, Rhin0's files mess it up. I'v been trying for months, so instead of starting the map, i have been doing indepth sketches on maps, and fire-fight locations and designs. Wish i could show you, but i dont want people stealing my ideas lol (no offence Rhin0, it works for everyone else apparently, but not for me, i must be special :P )

Oh and i know you would have to start jabal from scratch if you wanted to increase the map size.

P.S: i h8 BF2 editor, its made of liquidised noobs.

Edit: Actually to elaborate...when i try to make a map it says the map doesnt have an init.con file. and i dont know how to write one. i follow all the instructions properly and can make a vBF2 map no problem, but not PR maps. any suggestions?

Last edited by Psyko; 10-12-2008 at 04:37 PM..
Old 10-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #28
[R-DEV]J.F.Leusch69

just steal one of a pr map and change the mapname to your mapname!
[R-DEV]J.F.Leusch69 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #29
space
Banned

Psyko - Have you really spent months trying to start the editor? Yes its tough starting out, but you need to keep trying, and eventually it will work.
Also the idea of people "stealing your ideas" is slightly strange. I cant imagine you've thought up anything worth stealing - its more likely youve thought up something that is shit/cant be done, and therefore sharing your plans would give you valuable feedback.
space is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #30
Psyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanc View Post
Psyko - Have you really spent months trying to start the editor? Yes its tough starting out, but you need to keep trying, and eventually it will work.
Also the idea of people "stealing your ideas" is slightly strange. I cant imagine you've thought up anything worth stealing - its more likely youve thought up something that is shit/cant be done, and therefore sharing your plans would give you valuable feedback.
ROFL! Maaaaybe

I spent two weeks back in april trying to make it work, then stopped and tryed again this week, so i didnt spend months trying. but every weekend in my job over the summer i did lots of sketches of firefight dynamics and interesting ways to force people into cool battles. like Squad versus two machinegun-nests in a junk yard etc.

Psyko is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
jabal