project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
25 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Beafy
Banned
Default Graphic options-Unfair advantage?

Ok say youre realy rich and you have all the latist gear for your PC so you can knock up all the settings, willl you have an unfair advantage over people with less good gear.

List of things:
Shadows
Sounds
Testures
Higher res

now say you have all these you could have a better advantage than somoine with less because they have no shadows, therefore if somone was coming around the corner you could see there shadow and be more aware.

but say you had lower settings you could turn ambient sound off or whatever and hear peoples footsteps better?

Discuss!
Beafy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Graphic options-Unfair advantage?

Shadows- you don't have them = lose a major advantage of seeing movement
Res + anti aliasing need to be high if you want to spot/engage at range
but generally, need high FPS

FPS is the most important if you ask me, in which case a well speced computer wins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
gazzthompson

when i used to play competitively my team would put settings on LOW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

gazzthompson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
Cyrax-Sektor

There are few things that help gameplay via Video settings. TweakGuides.com - Battlefield 2 Tweak Guide

Effects: gives tracers/trails more detail, so you can tell where that GL/HAT/LAT came from.
Geometry: Vehicles and characters render at longer distances.
Texture: helps ID targets, but mainly for prettiness.
Terrain: depends on the player. Can s/he see an enemy better against high quality ground or low quality ground?
Lighting: doesn't help much, but is needed for Dynamic Shadows. You could be hiding in shadows, while some low GFX can see an easy target clearly.
Dynamic Shadows: true, you can see the shadow coming. Advantage.
Dynamic Lighting: true, you can see muzzle flashes, lighting up their position. Advantage.
Texture filtering: helps ID the target.
View Distance: should be 100%. Anything less, and you're punishing yourself.

|

Yay PR!
Cyrax-Sektor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
mammikoura

with low settings it's so much easier to spot enemies. Therefore actually having low settings is more usefull than having high.

It is the soldier, not the priest, who protects freedom of religion; the soldier, not the journalist, who protects freedom of speech.
mammikoura is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
Beafy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammikoura View Post
with low settings it's so much easier to spot enemies. Therefore actually having low settings is more usefull than having high.
also makes your system fater
Beafy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
Sanke
Banned

If you cant max bf2 then you need to upgrade no questions asked. The game is older than dirt
Sanke is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
unrealalex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanke View Post
If you cant max bf2 then you need to upgrade no questions asked. The game is older than dirt
x2
unrealalex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #9
Fishbone

PR is the only game I play and I see no reason to spend a couple of hundred euros to set everything on max, my geekness only goes so far. For any other application my system runs just fine.

Advantage or not, just the ability to play PR at its most beautiful form at the highest settings is far more important in my opinion. Just enjoy the game.
Fishbone is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #10
Lorfah

you might have a higher-end, speced comp than Bill Gates for all I care, but if you suck donkeyballs when it comes to aim, teamplay and tactics, I'll still shoot your ass before you shoot me.
Lorfah is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, graphic, options, optionsunfair, unfair