project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
19 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

View Poll Results: Would you support removing ALL player/vehicle locations from the map?
Yes 37 27.21%
No 99 72.79%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #11
ender[fdn]

Here's a question: do most people not use voice comm?

I guess I was under the assumption that most people are using voice comm to coordinate. As far as finding your squadmates, it seems like that would be a better comm method than typing in 'where are you?'.

Also, I am assuming that this would have a pretty significant impact on how squads play.

Typically, right now, I see squads spread out all over the map. It's really rare (and pretty cool) when I see a squad together, moving in formation.

It seems like squads would have to switch to that kind of behavior (staying close, regrouping at their rally when they die, etc.) under this kind of a system.

For those of you voting 'no': how do you a) usually play as part of a squad and b) do you enjoy playing that way more than if you were forced to keep in proximity to your squad to keep from getting lost?
ender[fdn] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #12
ir0n_ma1den

This idea would never ever ever work. Remember, this is a game, not a maze or Real Life. In Real Life, you have a sense of direction, perception, etc. Currently, in a game you don't. Besides, the engine was not designed for this whatso ever. This may have a slight chance of working if you build your own engine to your specifications, but that won't happen.
ir0n_ma1den is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #13
Death_dx

Seems like this won't be possible anyway. If it is, I'm in agreement with Okita and Terranova.
Death_dx is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #14
[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto Send a message via MSN to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto

I voted no. I stick with my squad and we move as a team. most games a play in this tends to be the same with most other squads I run in to.

I think squad icons should remain, because whenever someone dies, Voip or text wuld fill up with where we're moving to next, where are you? where is he? of course, I'm exaggerting to a degree, but I really think it would swamp the voip with chatter and make it more annoying for those still alive. Imagine joining a squad mid game and asking where the heck they are. You get about 4 responses that are either A. very crappy B. rushed and not understandable and just really annoying...

more to come after I get time and a response

"[An intelligence officer is] an instrument of his country, an observer and reporter of information."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #15
ender[fdn]

I assume this is possible given the removal of the enemy spots for all but SLs.

And I've seen this argument about having a 'sense of direction' or 'peripheral vision' in a few other threads about the map.

What makes people feel that the map is a replacement for those things?

An example: I've spent a lot of time on Mao Valley (bring this map back!) and I could probably navigate it quite well without any map. So I don't think the game takes away a 'sense of direction'.

Additionally, although your peripheral vision is less than it is in reality, it seems pretty unrealistic that I can know where my squadmate is when he's a couple clicks away. That goes way beyond 'peripheral vision'.

I'd be interested to hear more specifically how the map (especially now that there's no minimap) is viewed as a replacement for a 'sense of direction' (look at your compass) or for 'peripheral vision'.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #16
[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto Send a message via MSN to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto

I dont know. I need to follow more comments as Im not sure how I feel myself

I think my biggest concern is that IRL, you dont have a need for a map because you are with your squad until you die or you all return to base together.

Whereas in PR, dying[sadly] is a relatively common thing for many people. When you die, you respawn back in the middle of nowhere on your own. Then you need to get back with your squad. Now, while your squad can hold up and wait for you, I think its asking a bit too much to always have to regroup on the rally. Not that its never a good idea.

Anyway, I think it would be easy enough to simply ask them where they are[given that the Map lines are made more specific] but, I worry that in pubs it will get severely annoying having every dead guy in your thread asking where you are. not to mention, since you cant see them on your map youd see guys in the distance, and have to wonder are they friendlies or enemies, then you find out they are friendlies, but still have no idea if its your squad or not. While it might not be too difficult most of the time, I am worried that it would be too much of an annoyance and not really give enough to gameplay.

Thats why, for the moment, I am siding with removal of your team, except your squad. And leaving the whole team for the commander.

For now. But, I still want to hear everyone else, of course

sorry, wall of text... apologees

"[An intelligence officer is] an instrument of his country, an observer and reporter of information."

Old 02-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #17
ender[fdn]

Don't worry about the wall of text... I think the 'just your squad' thing is somewhat interesting.

What about if you could just see your SL's position? Should make grouping back up pretty easy, but still means that squads need to communicate and be careful about staying together.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #18
[T]Terranova7

I just think it's only good if the CO and SL keeps the ability to see friendlies. Special Kits (Such as Spec Ops) and all vehicles should also keep this ability.

The pros being
- Squad Members more likely to stick by the Squad Leader
- Better fire discipline from squad members, as they would need the SL to identify where friendlies are
- Overall, more coordination between SMs and their SLs, and SLs and their COs.

The only real con with that is that SMs would be left in the dark (Less the SL keeps them informed constantly). I do like the idea that they should still be able to see their own squad on the map. As IMHO, that's all they need to know.

Member of
|

[T]Terranova7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #19
[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranova View Post
I just think it's only good if the CO and SL keeps the ability to see friendlies. Special Kits (Such as Spec Ops) and all vehicles should also keep this ability.

The pros being
- Squad Members more likely to stick by the Squad Leader
- Better fire discipline from squad members, as they would need the SL to identify where friendlies are
- Overall, more coordination between SMs and their SLs, and SLs and their COs.

The only real con with that is that SMs would be left in the dark (Less the SL keeps them informed constantly). I do like the idea that they should still be able to see their own squad on the map. As IMHO, that's all they need to know.
More or less my thoughts to the word.

I think giving the SL and Commander more repsonsibility for maintaining location knowledge and passing it down to their squad is something pretty important. I could see a squad leader informing his men where squd 2 is moving in from.

However, whats a SL supposed to say when squads 2, 3, and 4 are spread out like there's no tomorrow?
Quote:
ummm, guys, just um.. watch your fire...like... a lot... because that whole area is full of our team, and the enemy

I digress. I agree Terra

Old 02-11-2008, 09:49 PM   #20
Katash

I think this is a good idea but will make things too hard for most people. I personally would love to see it.

However most of the problems people have raised here can be solved relativly easly in my opinion.

If part of the compass hud was to display your map grid reference to simulate a soldier having a personal GPS reciever, you could very easly check your map and pinpoint your position with fairly accuratly, mapreading being an important feature in the game.

Just a thought

Gunranger.co.uk - A Free UK Online Gun Advertising Site
Katash is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
locations, map, player, remove