project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
31 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

View Poll Results: Most stressful or demanding Role
Squad Leader 705 43.09%
Squad Member 39 2.38%
Commander 144 8.80%
Armour Gunner 56 3.42%
Armour Driver 66 4.03%
Heli Pilot 295 18.03%
Heli Gunner 23 1.41%
Jet Pilot 121 7.40%
Soft Skinned Vehicle Driver 11 0.67%
Soft Skinned Vehicle Gunner 20 1.22%
Smacktard 23 1.41%
n00b 95 5.81%
Insurgent Motorbike rider 24 1.47%
Logistic truck driver 0 0%
Irish 14 0.86%
Voters: 1636. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 12:37 AM   #51
[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto Send a message via MSN to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto

Voted only for SL, but I see the votes for commander as logical. Having done little to none of either, I see commander as tough, but ultimately disconnected[observations only]. Whereas, I think it takes a hell of a lot to get a group of six to move as one and reach a common goal. You have to think constantly, under fire, being always on your toes. You have to know when to stop pressing a bad situation before it gets so bad you cant recover. You need to be thinking ahead on where youll go, what kits you need, who youll be up against, the terrain. Everything comes into play.

Sure the commander role is chaotic, but I think I put more of my gratitude to the SL's who can keep a squad of 6 from round to round without feeling a desire to find a new squad. The SL is what brings PR together. its the make or break of a good or bad game of PR. Sure having no commander sucks, but without an SL, theres no Rally Points and no tactical gameplay due to lack of personal communication. Sure the commander communicates between squads, but you have to have squads in the first place.

God Im tired. Im off to bed... finally done w/ homework and my eyes are burning.

So, in short, thank you good SL's for making this game worth playing.

"[An intelligence officer is] an instrument of his country, an observer and reporter of information."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:42 AM   #52
Ironcomatose

Jet pilot. I was playing in a TG server can i managed to get into a CAS squad(not on purpose) and as soon as i got in there the SL was all set rules and orders. The commander was putting the pressure on the importance of my skill. Their(TG guys) professionalism was very intimidating and made me nervous. When i finally got in the air i was saying to my self out loud "dont crash!! dont crash! dont crash!!".

Intense.

[R-DEV]DuneHunter - No offense to any female gamers, but never, ever underestimate the amount of havoc a woman can unleash upon innocent unsuspecting electronics.
Ironcomatose is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:45 AM   #53
MACDRE

I got to say transport helicopter pilot. Everytime I fly into a hostile area to insert troops, I tense up. Especially when I try landing in a small clearing with trees everywhere. I got my door gunners screaming, "Contact! Hostiles, left side!", as soon as my tires hit the ground. That minigun groaning to action just feet away as tracers sweep through the trees, birds springing from their perches and enemy voices drifting through the open doors as my cargo unloads.

These hectic seconds seem like hours, and I know that at any moment my chopper and its crew could be turned into smoldering remnants of their formers selves.
Last edited by MACDRE; 01-17-2008 at 12:55 AM..
Old 01-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #54
Kruder

Default Re: Your most stressful Role

How come SLs and Commanders are voted as most stressful roles.Vehicle operating is the most stressfull roles/kits(especially tanks and aircraft).Why?If you crap up,you'll be without that vehicle for 20 minutes most of the time.Which is both boring and putting pressure on your shoulders,especially after 0.85,since every vehicle lost,will cost tickets.

Plus you go down with one shot most of the time with aircraft/tanks,when you are flying an aircraft,a noob with Sa-7/Stinger,or worse, a guy with a regular rifle can shoot you in the Head without even aiming and you crash your chopper full of people/su27 which just took off a few mins ago.I smoke like 1 cigarette for every 2 minutes i spent on aircraft,just because of these two things.Most important of all,you might not even leave the base if there is a baseraping noob on the other side.

Far more important aspect is this:YOu can go commander/SL on any map and anytime you like.But to operate a tank/aircraft you'll have to get into server with that few maps having them,and pick the right side (mostly US) +you'll have to wait in lines,avoid abuser admins,comply to different server rules on vehicles,again avoid TKers,vehicle stealers and baserapers.And after all these shit,you still have to depend on TW:teammates to have fun with your toy.

And there is always lots of countermeasures that your enemy has,AAs,HATs,enemy aircraft/tanks,AAVs,schmuck with a shouldermounted AA,schmuck with a freshly received HAT(you and your driver will be the only kills he'll get for 2 hours)0.50 cals,friendly and enemy mines etc+friendly Missiles(to some extend)

Finally,small lags/conn. problems/a bit high ping/2 second carelessness are the issues that dont bother a commander/SL in the first place,unlike vehicle operators.Tonight i almost crashed my full chopper because my cat thought that it was fun to unplug my joystick while i was in middair.
I've crashed many times because my cat also thought during landings,its fun to open console/typing "apdjadsıj" in chat by lying on keyboard.
Kruder is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #55
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

Heli Pilot...but only when your good. You have that much more riding on you

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
CodeRedFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #56
daranz

Happy birthday, thread!

And yes, being a heli pilot is the most stressful role. No other role fills me with such dread of sudden freezups or connection problems.

daranz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #57
akatabrask

But...why isn't medic on list of choices do you guys hav ANY idea at all how stressfull it is to have 4 guys lying in front of your magic bag whilst beeing the only medic amongst 4 squads defending a place?

naaah just kidding, although it is stressful I can imagine a fully loaded chopper pilot is having a twice as bad day
akatabrask is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #58
McBumLuv

Jet Pilot, because your biggest threat is often at the main base every time you land... by your own team

Though I'd say CO now, simply because nobody really listens and there's not much to do, but everyone blames you when things go wrong.

McBumLuv is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #59
Alex6714

Attack helicopter pilot for sure.

Although it can get worse: SU25 pilot and Air squadleader for over 2 hours without dieing in the PRT. That was very tiring indeed.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:15 PM   #60
Mj Pain
Supporting Member

Squadleading for me.
You always got to be on your toes and thinking two, three steps ahead.
Always thinking on how to use your 5 squadmembers the best way.
When everything goes good, squadmembers are there for you.
But sometimes shit happens and u can feel the squad loosing their confident in you. So stuff starts spiraling downwards and stress builds up even more.

I have never tried jets or choppers in a real game though.

"Playing PR - Better drink my own piss." Ploddit
Mj Pain is online now Reply With Quote

Tags
role, stressful