project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #11
OkitaMakoto
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to OkitaMakoto Send a message via MSN to OkitaMakoto Send a message via Skype™ to OkitaMakoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiereyes909 View Post
Why dont you spawn, see what you can get then make a specialized squad?

its a hellaof allot more effective that way
But my comment goes after that too. Youre going to die some time... so youre going to be in a squad and hope that theres still thet asset available while you are dead...

I agree though, you should spawn initially without a squad, get your vehicle, then make the squad. But after that, and after you get 6 in the squad, i would hope that people respect that role your squad has taken.

But yeah, youre going to die during the game so:
Quote:
Why dont you spawn, see what you can get then make a specialized squad?
doesnt really apply after your initial, beginning of the round spawn.
OkitaMakoto is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #12
Reddish Red

I just call my sqaud "Red Sqaud" Simple :P.

I Find organized sqauds to generally screw up: AIR sqauds usually don't get helo and spend all time complaining about it.

I've only seen TANK, ARMOUR sqauds work becuase on most map it takes time for these to Spawn.

Oh, Any sqaud with COM ASSET etc works also
Reddish Red is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #13
Top_Cat_AxJnAt

FACT: on combined armour and infantry maps, successful co-operation between infantry and armour is mandatory if you want to have a chance of winning.

A1) Clear identification of roles is required for this. E.g. i know OkitaMakato job is to provide tank support, while ReddishRed has command of an infantry squad. IF you dont, it is almost impossible to communicate armour/infantry ext. requests becuase you dont know who to ask.

I have only begun to fully appreciate this recently and from now i am trying to name my squad appropriately, such that informs its specialization.

Ensuring your squads get and keeps the specialized equipment it needs is the difficult part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmedDrunk&Angry View Post
I don't agree that creating a squad named Armor or Air gives you the ultimate right to those assets.
First come, first served.
I do agree. The name of the squad does not give you any rights however if given the appropriate assets, it does clearly identify that you have RESPONSIBILITY FOR those assets with out question!
While responsibility for assets is often many times less clear for Squads who do not have squad names that describe there specialization but still use specialized equipment. This is a problem becuase of A1.

When i create a specialized squad, i will generally state using team text before the game begins, that for For X Squad to provide effective X support it requests the use of 2 Xs. This is not a demand but it clearly explains that there is a squad thats aim is to focus soley of operating X as well as possible and if they do fail to use X properly, the whole team will know who is responsible and therefore you ask that X squad changes their tactics or allows a different squad to take over there specialization.

This of course relies on the courtesy of other players. The most responsibility however lies in the hands of the squad leaders, namely to control their men. In this case, asking them to get particular types of equipment at not other.

Crucially becuase most specialized squads do not require all of a particular type of specialized equipment, it is not generally a major problem acquiring the necessary equipment in the right quantities.

Most maps now contain both armour and infantry and therefore effective squad specialization and communication is required in most games. However i dont think enough players fully regconise this and understand what must be done to achieve effective co-operation.
Sadly this extends to all players including DEVs and my attempts to communicate this need and requests have resulted serious and totally unnecessary conflict.
Thus suggesting many players dont just fail to regconise the need but are actually hostile to any attempts to achieve effective squad specialization and co-operation.
Top_Cat_AxJnAt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #14
[R-DEV]Outlawz7
PR:BF2 Developer

Infantry squad of 4 + 2 Crewman in APC/tank - win.

[R-DEV]Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #15
Top_Cat_AxJnAt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawz View Post
Infantry squad of 4 + 2 Crewman in APC/tank - win.
vs. Infantry squad with specialized H-AT 2 man team - met you match Outlawz but we are still only even!

OR vs.

Armour squad with 2 tanks and 1 repair truck - RIP Outlawz!

Moral of the story, you CANNOT be the absolute best at many things all at the same time,

but you can pick 1....and OWN!
Last edited by Top_Cat_AxJnAt; 10-07-2007 at 05:23 PM..
Old 10-07-2007, 05:19 PM   #16
[R-DEV]Outlawz7

Yeah, sure, if you don't get sniped by a scoped rifleman, sniper or marksman.
Or the .50 cal gunner on my tank

Also, lately I saw, that people use the Heavy AT like the AT kit in vBF2 - they don't go on a high place or try to shoot the tank from a far, they do it in CQB.
This and suicidal engineers are the reason, tanks should have infantry support.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #17
Eddiereyes909
Retired Forum Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Eddiereyes909 Send a message via MSN to Eddiereyes909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Cat_AxJnAt View Post
vs. Infantry squad with specialized H-AT 2 man team - met you match Outlawz

OR

Armour squad with 2 tanks and 1 repair truck - RIP Outlawz!

Moral of the story, dont try and be the best at too many things!
yeps i did this today.

and from the view of a commander.

Its great to have squads that are specialized because ive heard this too many times;

Quote:
"CO:Ok squad 3 take your tanks to B2 and set up a perimeter around that area,

SL:Com, we dont have anymore tanks we got out of them to take this flag and we lost our kits.

(i actually said the next part)

CO: ok everyone, you can thank squad 3 for being assholes and using tanks as armored vehicles and then bailing out of them to get another flag.

All hands be prepared to be raped by enemy armor! "
and thus the moral of the story is, dont be a prick and leave tanks ,that your team needs, at the hands of the enemy.

"You know we've had to imagine the war here, and we have imagined that it was being fought by aging men like ourselves. We had forgotten that wars were fought by babies. When I saw those freshly shaved faces, it was a shock "My God, my God?" I said to myself. "It's the Children's Crusade."- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughter House Five
Eddiereyes909 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #18
Top_Cat_AxJnAt

NOTE: edited 2nd post on this page.
Top_Cat_AxJnAt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #19
[R-DEV]Outlawz7

What I really want is a big urban map with armor.
*cough*Expand Ejod, anyone? *cough*

Any map would do actually, just has to be diverse, not 1 Km of straight desert and a sand dune to hide behind

Old 10-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #20
Top_Cat_AxJnAt

What i really want is a big country side map with very LITTLE ARMOUR! Namely 2 tanks max.

player's seem obsessed with big open maps having armour even though at the moment it means infantry combat is very difficult. Loose most of the tanks and prepare for some of the sickest inf. combat ever, namely raging firefights at 300m not being interupted by coaxle mg fire or 120 HEAT rounds!

In RL combat does occur outside built up areas and if often occurs at ranges in excess of 200m. In PR at the mo, there is very little of this becuase the maps simply do not exist that can allow this and the few that do, are jam packed with tanks.
Only when inf. have the option to engage at each other past 200m will proper fluid fire and maneuver tactics flourish! Then the fun will really botched up a gear!

Therefore i hope that the DEVs consider very carefully the affect of armour and the amount of armour on infantry combat on the NEW VERY LARGE maps.
Even considering 2 versions, 1 with great quantities of armored vehicles and 1 with significantly less or none!
Last edited by Top_Cat_AxJnAt; 10-07-2007 at 05:56 PM..

Tags
calling, roles