project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
25 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2007, 10:18 PM   #31
[R-DEV]dbzao
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Video guides are great ways to visually explain to players how the mod works, and it's planned for 0.6 as well.
[R-DEV]dbzao is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:16 PM   #32
Ironcomatose

Yeah know exactly what you guys are saying about new players. If you like military shit at all you will not get turned off tho

One thing i think your DEVs can do is update the main page some more. I know thats how i often check in on other mods, i check their main page. We have had the same thing on the main for like ever now. I know A LOT OF WORK has been done with this mod but new guys could not know that unless they dig into the forums(which lets be honest they wont).

Most mods are like normal rain when it comes to updating their content. They release a little water from time to time keeping the people happy and giving them something to look forward to. Now you DEVs in this mod are like hurricanes. You stay silent most of the time only releasing a little info here and there but then one day BAM!! hurricane katrina!! and the whole BF2 community is having orgasims of joy(such as when .6 is released).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]DuneHunter - No offense to any female gamers, but never, ever underestimate the amount of havoc a woman can unleash upon innocent unsuspecting electronics.
Ironcomatose is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:29 PM   #33
vanity

As the game becomes more complex and realistic, the guides will get longer and the "instant action" will be pretty much gone. Think about it like a flight sim. You can't fire it up and start immediately dog-fighting people. Even though it's a FPS, it's significantly more complex than the others.

I think the expectation that you can install the mod and jump right into action is no longer viable. This is not that type of game. You're going to have to learn it.

just my .02
vanity is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:48 AM   #34
eggman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

PR is, by design, a game intended for folks with some perseverance.

Not an excuse for lousy player guides... (or lousy presentation of good player guides) .. just saying that the reality of project reality is that in between having good player guides and players needing to learn the ropes is about where we want to be.

Hopefully the v0.6 player guide updates will help the situation. But I don't see us dumbing down the game.. rather we'll try and beef up the player guide stuff.

Cheers!
egg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eggman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:40 AM   #35
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

And it doesnt take long to read it.
Just check the basic stuff, most of the Wiki is just descriptions of stuff (tanks, helis etc.) and tips. You can always come back and read part after a part.

Originally Posted by whatshisname55:
"Ah yes, that link to your hard drive is working perfectly."
Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:38 AM   #36
-=ToD=-KNIFE

You know PR is fine as it is Infact i think it should be harder for them to learn how to play it to Scare off the vBF2 Nubbies, im starting to get tired of the Ones saying "lolz You should Rankz Yourz Modz and Give us Back our Sights lolz" I play PR for the Teamwork and i hate it when i find one of them going "lulz why Chopper No flyz?"

"Lose Sight, Lose the Fight"
-=ToD=-KNIFE is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:46 AM   #37
Red Halibut
Supporting Member

I think that we are perhaps overstating the point here. Sure, there are some complex game mechanics, but it can be broken down into stages:

Stage 1) Beginning Player from vBF2
A) Join a squad
B) Do what your squad leader tells you
C) You can spawn from "Rally Points". If you see a green circle with your squad number on it, you can choose it as your spawn point.
D) If you get shot, you have a bandage to stop the bleeding.
E) Keep your damned head down.

That's pretty much it as far as adjustment goes.

Stage 2) Learning the ropes.
A) Special Kits
B) Limited Kits
C) How to wait for a helicopter
D) How to heal people as a medic
E) Keep yer damned head down!

Stage 3) All the other stuff.
... insert the long list of other stuff here.

OK so I'm being flippant, but the point is that in order to start being a useful member of a squad, all your average joiner from vBF2 needs is the right attitude, follow squad leader's orders and learn how to bandage and keep his or her head down. The rest can be picked up.

IMHO PR is not as inaccessible as people think. Sure, you aren't going to know everything with ten minutes reading, but then you don't need to know everything right at the beginning.

"It is not the responsibility of a defender to leave the objective unguarded just so his opponent sucks less."
Red Halibut is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:48 AM   #38
gerardnm
Send a message via Yahoo to gerardnm

type in PRMM on youtube...else go to any clan or TG sites
gerardnm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:10 AM   #39
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

Updating the front page doesn't really need to be done. The way it is now is good IMO. People who visit the forums to find out information will surely be a member and have seen other peoples posts. These posts should hopefully be helpful to them and they'll get to know that nobody takes kindly to noobs.

People say we should give them a chance, but when you're in a firefight and the "how do i get helo? where is it?" message keeps appearing you get a little frustrated.

eddie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:51 AM   #40
Dark_Wolf

the only thing that needs to be known on front page IMO is what number the latest vs is of PR. That's all I needed.

Anything else can be found in player guide under "what's new in 0.6" or whatever the exact heading is.

I don't find this game complex. Ok, BF2 in itself is complex as a game because you have to learn a lot of diff keys and get used to using the built-in chat/command stuff. If you've played BF2 a lot I really don't see how PR is that hard.

I don't always take the game too seriously, there are still some funny moments like the enemy trying to revive me after they've shot me or 6 guys standing around a heli looking stupid because none of them can pilot (and I mean skill-wise not kit-wise )

The thing I enjoy about PR though is that there's a big difference between a noob and someone who's just struggling to learn the ropes. If you communicate and TRY then generally you get respect from your team mates, SL etc. It's only when you do really stupid things like TK (even accidentally, check your fire) or don't follow orders that people start getting really annoyed and kicking your from squads.

again though, if you know the ropes it's much easier for you to show them to your friends. I came here entirely alone and don't have a lot of mates on BF2 (violin moment) and I literally just joined this forum this week.

good things take time. all you need is a bit of patience, it's not hard

even these forums are a bit overwhelming at first, but I'm slowly getting used to them, and the people too
Dark_Wolf is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
complicatednew, guys, turned