project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2005, 04:39 PM   #51
Artnez
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by {GD}Snake13
I'm aware that there are several games where players have complete control, such as E&B, and EVE. But these games usualy don't extend much beyond an RPG with a ship as a character, I want everything fleshed out, physics, combat, you name it. I want to be able to be a space marine if I want to, and in the same game be the captain of a massive battleship, or drive a tank accross an alien planet, or construct a new settlement on a frontier world which I can actually walk around and buy a drink in a dusty frontier bar.
The only way to accomplish something like this is consistent development. It would be impossible to create something like this in a normal period. By the time a dev studio would get this done, everything would be outdated.

What I think should be done is a development studio releasing an actual engine for a descent price. A group of gamers or teams (like PR for example) could all chip in and buy the engine.

Regarding the pricetag, I'm sure a good finance dept. could come up with a way for them to make some money with advertising and such without getting in the way of the game (for example, when you load the game, an advertisement in the top right corner, who would care about that?).

So once the engine is purchased, all you need are knowledgable and dedicated people to consistently develop the game.

The only thing would be to pick a descent timeframe. Then, numerous development teams could work on different areas... one team works on space combat, another works on infantry/ground combat, etc....

But I guess I'm only dreaming :]

"Having the piss taken out of you is a small price to pay when others do your research. Thank you gentlemen." - Azametric(IRL)
Artnez is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 06:39 PM   #52
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

thats it, we all have to learn how to do this stuff, we'll make it happen

theres also a different advertising idea, when youre on planets with cities there can be billboards and stuff too. i can see how that might be difficult when youre in space but maybe there'll be a few intergalactic radio stations with a couple ads on them.

anyway, this is a thread about PRMM, i suggest if this goes on someone puts up a thread about this in off topic.

BrokenArrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:41 PM   #53
{GD}Snake13

I think the key is getting the tech to the point where you don't have to "cheat" features as much. (for an example of what I mean, currently if you want to make an enviroment fully destructable its nearly impossible, but if we got to the point of a true physics engine then you wouldn't have to go out of your way to try to make a building collapse, becuase it would do it naturally as a result of the physics engine. other examples include the commander mode in an FPS, prior to BF2, most of this time this would be its own rendering mode, but with the engine tech out there today all you have to do is make it a camera high in the sky pointing down.)

It would have to be a MMO, due both to the genre needing massive amounts of people to work, and due to the massive devolpment needed. I really think the next great thing is going to be someone who takes the MMO concept and does something unique with it. For as big as a step of refinement that World of Warcraft was over earlier MMORPGs, if somene made an improvement like that over planetside you could have a real winner, or even something in the vein of WWIIOL.

The development concept of having massive amounts of people involved is something that hasn't been fully exploited IMHO. Most of the MMOs out there seem to have taken the approach "Lets take a normal type of game, then design to involves a huge amount of people", I'm waiting for someone to say "Now that we can have a game with hundreds or even thousands involved, whats possible that has never been before?"

{GD}Snake13 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
happening, prmm