project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
21 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
iWannaBeAMongoose
Question Constant CTDs, freezes... is my configuration just not up to snuff?

Hey, all, just wondering if you could look over my hardware configuration and tell me if that's the reason I'm getting constant CTDs (with no error messages) and freezes.

All the numbers seem to be sufficient, so I'm wondering if it's just a matter of supported models.

I'm attempting to run the game on an HP Pavilion dv5000 laptop.

CPU: Intel Centrino Duo T2250 at 1.73 GHz (2 CPUs)
RAM: 2 GB
Video: Nvidia GeForce Go 7400 256 MB
Sound: Conexant HD Audio output

I've lowered all the graphics settings as low as they can go and the problem still happens. I get a similar issue in BF2142 (though not as often, and always a freeze rather than CTD) but don't recall ever having the issue in vBF2, though I could be wrong.

I've had some sneaking suspicions lately about my stock audio device, though I guess it could be anything.

Any suggestions are welcome, though I'd prefer those that don't involve buying new hardware, since money's a bit tight at the moment.

Thanks for any help, guys. This mod looks far too cool to pass up.
iWannaBeAMongoose is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
V3N0N_br

That's weird.
I have those CTDs very often but never thought a PC like yours would have them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V3N0N_br is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
Jimmy_Smack

If theyre completley random it could very well be a heating issue. Especially because your on a laptop and in most cases there is not very good, can I say, "Fanage" going on there. Thats my guess.

2010 +3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jimmy_Smack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
mattcrwi
Send a message via AIM to mattcrwi

from my experience always assume its a ventilation issue with laptops. 90% of the time that fixes it... if your computer is about a year or more old, pull it apart and blow it out with a can of air.

mattcrwi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:26 PM   #5
iWannaBeAMongoose

Thanks for the responses, guys.

The computer is only a couple months old (got it in September for school), so I don't think it needs to be cleaned.

It also doesn't feel particularly warm. I just crashed about 5 minutes ago, and feeling the air from the vent, it feels cool (didn't check it right after the crash, but will next time). The computer itself is slightly warm, but I don't know enough to say whether it is abnormally so.

Is there an effective way to improve ventilation on a laptop? If there are any general suggestions before opening it up to replace the fan, I'd like to know those, since I'm not too inclined in the hardware department, and looking at it, the whole thing would have to be dismantled since there is no easy access panel to the fan.

Also, sometimes when it crashes, when it reverts to desktop the settings are all at their lowest level (800x600, 4 or 8 bit color) and I have to restart for it to be normal again. I don't know if that gives any more hints as to what my problem might be.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
SGT.Collado

get one of those pad coolers for your labtop.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77SiCaRiO77
ask him if he is an enemy , if he answer you in other language, then fire at him
SGT.Collado is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:50 PM   #7
iWannaBeAMongoose

Ya, I mentioned the problem to my friend just now and he mentioned them, too. Thanks for the link.

So is the consensus cooling? If there's any other info needed, I'll gladly try to tell you. Not that the pad would cost too much from the looks of it; nor would it be a bad investment regardless. I'll probably go ahead and order one.

Any recommended models, anyone?

Tags
configuration, constant, ctds, freezes, snuff