project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
20 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 12:58 AM   #11
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: Worth To Get Back Into The Game?

There is a continuously decreasing number of maintained servers. Many members of the original Project Reality community have moved on to release a few more games (releasing this year) inspired by Project Reality. I would suggest keeping those on your radar, especially since EA seems to be cracking down on unauthorized Battlefield 2 multiplayer server communities.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...legal-warning/

Bluedrake42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:18 AM   #12
assetruler69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedrake42 View Post
I would suggest keeping those on your radar, especially since EA seems to be cracking down on unauthorized Battlefield 2 multiplayer server communities.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...legal-warning/
I think that "cracking" happened because this bois was using original BF2 registered trademarks. It does not means that I approve EA's actions towards "resurrection" project, but they've been asking for that beating imho.
Last edited by assetruler69; 12-11-2017 at 02:24 AM..
Old 12-11-2017, 01:21 AM   #13
[R-DEV]Max_
PR:BF2 QA Lead
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Stop the fear mongering.

Spyker2041: "Just found out that my "9 month" deployment to the Falklands just turned into a 19 month one..."
Mats391: "When admins set LRG instead of STD."
[R-DEV]Max_ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:47 AM   #14
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assetruler69 View Post
I think that "cracking" happened because this bois was using original BF2 registered trademarks. It's does not means that I approve EA actions towards "resurrection" project, but they've been asking for that beating imho.
Indeed. If EA/DICE wanted to shut us down they would have already shut us down well before shutting them down.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:55 AM   #15
waldov

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingInTheHurt View Post
I would say no in your case, don't bother coming back due to your geographic location.
There is no local servers near you and the Asia Pacific region is dead for PR (except for China and its great firewall of latency).
Unless you get low ping of <150ms to EU, East Coast USA or China, you won't have fun playing PR today.
My advice is move on, find a game that has localised servers that fits your needs and ultimately have fun!
Just remember PR for what it was in the past with the fun you once had and don't let your memories be tarnished by the dying game of today.
I play 200+ ping and usually have a positive K/D (even managed 17 kills in a life with an IDF marksman kit a few weeks back.) I've even played on servers with 300 ping and managed ,though i'll admit thats getting pretty borderline. Ping shouldn't be a make or break concern for a game if you're a half decent player, especially PR where intelligence and planning counts for more than your 360 quick scope abilities. if you really find it a struggle then think about utilizing support classes to get into the groove of things AR, marksman, sniper, spotter, machine gunner and grenider kits are less dependent on your split second reactions and are more dependent on skills that aren't much impaired by a higher ping.

waldov is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #16
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Max_ View Post
Stop the fear mongering.
I'll keep it up. Because no matter how you slice it, staying on EA property isn't ideal. The only reason EA hasn't smacked PR is because a red flag hasn't gone up yet. If RDEV were to attempt a Steam release, or any other high-brow distribution, EA would quickly move to counter.

That alone cripples full control of the project, as well as the full potential it has to grow and expand. Staying local looks worse and worse, especially as viable licensed alternatives continue to grow in accessibility and power.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #17
Stark38
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedrake42 View Post
I'll keep it up. Because no matter how you slice it, staying on EA property isn't ideal. The only reason EA hasn't smacked PR is because a red flag hasn't gone up yet. If RDEV were to attempt a Steam release, or any other high-brow distribution, EA would quickly move to counter.

That alone cripples full control of the project, as well as the full potential it has to grow and expand. Staying local looks worse and worse, especially as viable licensed alternatives continue to grow in accessibility and power.
Squad might get there one day but that is a long way's off.
Stark38 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #18
Michael_Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwmafeo View Post
It's been awhile since I last played PR. I don't know the current state(with SQUAD and all) but is it worth to get back into it? Like are there good active servers? And what's the download size of the game? I have a datacap so yeah :v
Not sure about the public games, whether they are better than they used to be, but the tournament is worth it.

In regard to EA, perhaps the question that is missing, is how we convince them to start funding a modification like PR? What would it take for making it worth for EA, to literally fund this modification?

Define irony. A bunch of guys playing PR year after year. A game teaching initiative as the prime mover.
However, in regard to EA, these guys never took the initiative.
We who play these kinds of games are the first generation of war robot pilots.Today we pilot a camera in 3D heaven,Tomorrow... http://gametactic.org/pr
Michael_Denmark is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #19
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member

If RDEV were to start cataloging and archiving assets, meshes, and all universal file formats into a single cohesive library... you could start preparing all of realitymod's creative content for an engine migration. However I have a theory/feeling that RDEV's SVN repository is dilapidated, and the reason a major migration hasn't started is because they have either lost, damaged, or not maintained Project Reality's original raw assets.

Project Reality's core development team after all, I believe, is only a fraction of the original developers. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of information or work lost with the departure of the original team members. I mean... even the official Project Reality Youtube channel was shut down, because the original owner of the account was AWOL. If that is the state of what PUBLIC realitymod accounts and platforms look like... I can only imagine what the state of INTERNAL development accounts and repositories look like.

I took a screenshot of the current "Core Team" listing on here Project Reality's website... and then I crossed out every developer listed there, that has their account set to "retired."

So of the original Core Team... the entirety of Project Reality's original management team, including every lead developer (except for AfterDune,) and over 70% of all core developers for Project Reality, have left the project. Of the remaining active developers... a huge portion of them have either been hired out by Squad, or hired out by a growing list of other "Project Reality" inspired unofficial successors.

So, wall of text incoming, this is what I make of this:

Of the few underlings remaining, who still hold the keys to the master servers and development repositories... instead of letting the community take over development of the game (as I would have expected them to) they have been holding on to all the original systems they can (including the original master server system) which keeps the community from continuing the project without their interference, or without their control.

This means you still have to ask them permission to host a server, or create a mini-mod, or do basically anything essential to continuing the Project Reality project without their interference... and since they've used this power multiple times to shut down communities/projects/anything related to Project Reality that these few remaining people "disapprove" of... or doesn't follow the "Project Reality" spirit (which can be abused to mean... literally anything) that makes it somewhat impossible to do anything with permanence to get this community out of the rut its been in for the past two/three years.

So all the people complaining about Project Reality "dying" and that there aren't enough players... this is the reason why. Its not because not enough people play the game... or we need to promote more... or yada yada... its because the community hasn't been given the control it needs to continue this project, by an elite few who just happened to have usurped control of the original project.

Basically Congress gridlock.

So if you really want to solve the Project Reality community dying... probably start there. I gave up about a year ago though, and now I'm just waiting for what's left of the PR team to hopefully disband/die... so I can possibly come pick up the ashes, after what's left of the original project quietly burns down. Maybe then we can start properly working on the game/community again, without all the lame duck interference.

Or possibly... by the time that opportunity ever comes, something better will have come along which won't make PR worth reviving anymore. Who knows =P

but hey, this is all just an opinion ;D

I'm not fear mongering. I'm just frustrated that the future of my favorite game has been gummed up by political BS and childish power playing. A constant theme with anything related to the Project Reality community for some reason. So forgive me if I frequently sound bitter, if I do it is because I am.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (98.5 KB, 126 views)

Old 12-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #20
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Are you being sponsored by some new game or something? Trying to get players to that game instead?

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
back, game, worth