project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
16 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2017, 04:08 AM   #11
Sequadon
Supporting Member
Default Re: CAS not affecting gameplay.(?)

No more "let's just laze this tank and go prone behind this hill for 10 sec LOL"? Sounds good. In that case (you have to keep the line of sight) tank crew could spot the lazer much easier. It will also effect the communication between SL and CAS because you'll likely laze the target only when CAS is diving. Unless you don't want to examine too much the rifling of a tank barrel...
Sequadon is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:33 AM   #12
inb4banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Sneaky TOW/APC will still destroy your tank pre and post tank buff...tactics might have changed a little bit but these things never had a chance in a symmetric firefight.
I used to build sneaky TOWs all the time before TOWs got their vision blocked, then nerfed.

Vast majority of these spots no longer work at all after the nerf for several reasons: tanks will be too far for you to engage them, they'll pass into cover before the stupid fire-delay is up. If a faster vehicle decides to recon for your TOW they're much harder to kill because they'll probably be behind a hill or some shit when your TOW actually fires. And finally, as soon as a tank knows where your TOW is they can simply face front armour towards you and end you before you can even fire, or before you can do the pointless 10% damage.
inb4banned is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #13
fecht_niko
Banned

Tanks are too OP because ATGMs/TOWs/HATs got nerfed too much.
While for Tank vs Tank, or Tank vs IFV the changes made a better gameplay, they destroyed the INF vs Tank gameplay. TOWs are completely useless. If DEVs would want to fix that they could use a different rocket (and damage model) for TOWs. No matter if its realistic or not because it will lead to a more realistic gameplay.

CAS was pretty OP before the AA changes. I remember a few years ago CAS could hover above AAs, flare a bit and turkey shot everything. The only thing that could kill CAS was a HAT, APC, Tank and other CAS.

Even though I dont play CAS, I can understand pilots that they dont want to lose their asset after the first run because pub games doesnt offer that much teamwork.
Maybe make them a bit faster and reduce splash damage a bit.
fecht_niko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #14
bahiakof

What I realize most is that players expect the Asset (CAS, TANK, IFV/APC) to reappear and go to the battlefield without the objective already set. The most important thing is missing from Project Reality: battlefield recognition, leadership communication, teamwork, and common sense.

Unfortunately, the Phantom of Individualism in "Battlefield 2" has not yet come out of Project Reality.

Before requesting game mechanic changes, you need to change the way you play Project Reality.

That's all I have to say. Thank you...

Last edited by bahiakof; 10-19-2017 at 10:29 AM..
Old 10-19-2017, 09:29 AM   #15
Fuller
PR Server License Moderator

With the recent lack of teamwork and experienced players in PR the best solution is to completely remove CAS from all maps (it's only a waste of tickets) :P

@Bahiakof
The problem is that one 8-man squad filled with clan mates will pub stomp the enemy team quite easily.
I'd really like to fear enemy jets (while playing tank/ifv) but i really don't, especially with the lack of communication and experienced players. Strong CAS jets would contribute to teamplay where as of today e.g. 99% of the time AA vehicles stay in main base because there is no threat out there^^

Fuller is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #16
bahiakof

Quote:
@Bahiakof
The problem is that one 8-man squad filled with clan mates will pub stomp the enemy team quite easily.
I'd really like to fear enemy jets (while playing tank/ifv) but i really don't, especially with the lack of communication and experienced players. Strong CAS jets would contribute to teamplay where as of today e.g. 99% of the time AA vehicles stay in main base because there is no threat out there^^
CAS was very deadly on the battlefield when the UAV had infinite fuel and marking laser. Today with the "balance" of the UAV, the CAS relies heavily on infantry to be 100% successful. But with the lack of teamwork, CAS ends up being only a waste in 60% of the public games.

Last edited by bahiakof; 10-19-2017 at 11:28 AM..
Old 10-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #17
fecht_niko
Banned

Quote:
With the recent lack of teamwork and experienced players in PR the best solution is to completely remove CAS from all maps (it's only a waste of tickets) :P
I doubt that. 9/10 times my tank died to a bomb.
Tank lased -> bomb dropped -> tank destroyed / 10% possibility AA is close, locked and hit the jet.

The problem is that most jet pilots want to go for every laze, no matter if the target is the next capable flag with shit ton of AAs around that.

Problematic are maps like Muttrah, Pavlovsk and so on because the actual playable map is to small for CAS.
fecht_niko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #18
DogACTUAL

So true about the teamwork aspect. Can't tell you how many instances my CAS squad shot down the entire enemy CAS only to be stuck waiting for lases that never come for the entire game until enemy CAS resurfaces.

Meanwhile the very same people and squadleaders you have been pleading to for 20min to give you lases complain in team chat and squadleader radio that they are getting steamrolled by tanks and APCs.

This might be too OP, but what about giving single seater jets proper targeting pods like the two seater fighter bombers and strike fighters have, so they don't have to rely on spotters as much?
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #19
LimitJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Death View Post
If your tanks were not at A1 "hunting"... its teamwork.
thats the problem. i cant make "my" tank squad (or any other role of the team) play good. if they are shit the team looses an important asset to win the game BUT there should still be a way to cope with it by the rest of the team (eg. FOBs with stationary ATGM, playing more defensive until tanks respawn). whats the point as inf player to stay on a server that runs kashan when your contribution to the game is meaningless. either your tanks win and roll the enemy team or the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AlonTavor View Post
lazes will need line of sight to work, no more "stick", no more "projectiles". Instant, but not lag compensated. Breaking line of sight will make it impossible to laze, it won't "stick" for 20 seconds anymore. Smoking up and moving around will make it hard to laze.
so its actually a laze nerf. i mean the concept is cool but as of now with lazes being the only remaining (and unreliable) tank counter for infantry thats not a good developement. love refining there but i see it worsening an already present problem.

btw the discussion seems to be not making the distinction enough of issues with heli CAS and issues with fixed wing CAS. those are completely different.
decreasing the bleed from smoking planes would be an idea to have a better survivability, shouldnt be done for choppers.

LimitJK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #20
[R-DEV]AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
PR Server License Moderator

Laser being instant is a huge buff. You can lase a moving tank 1km away.

I've added a correction algorithm for it to make it even easier: It remembers the latest laser position that was on an active PlayerControlObject and keeps it on it for up to one second if current aiming position is too far from it. If a large vehicle is driving in a straight line, its easy to keep the laser on it pretty much 100% of the time when you're 600m away. Small fast vehicles are harder to laze.

"Stick Projectile" laser is a result of not being able to find a better way to make it work. It was always a wonky mechanic. Non line-of-sight lasers are bad.
Last edited by [R-DEV]AlonTavor; 10-19-2017 at 05:48 PM..

Tags
affecting, cas, gameplay