project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
23 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 05:35 AM   #31
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member
Default Re: Is this really the man that started it all?

A nice read thanks for taking the time to write it up.

PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #32
DogACTUAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman View Post
-snip-
Pretty much the best response i could have received.

Quote:
History | Project Reality
Not detailed enough camo, read it before.

@rico: Thank you for your detailed response!
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #33
FlyingR

Thanks Eggman for the excellent read! Very interesting information!

Eggman, one question man, what would you change or add to today's PR (1.4.9)?
FlyingR is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:29 AM   #34
eggman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingR View Post
Eggman, one question man, what would you change or add to today's PR (1.4.9)?
Campaign mode.

A collection of maps in a "metaphoric" representation of a battle area would be fought over. The results from one map would carry over to the next map. Commanders would have options for each map, those would be affected by the results from the previous map.

Ultimately there would be a victory condition for the complete campaign, but that could go on for a very long time (several hours, possibly a day or two).

I would accompany this with some form of persistence so that if you had to drop from the campaign (because real life would not let you have a 27 hour gaming session) you would be able to check back in, or rejoin. This would be exposed on a website. If you chose to rejoin the campaign, you would rejoin the same team and your history for that campaign would be preserved.

This can all be done by hacking the BF2 persistence layer into a proprietary back end service.

egg

Cheers!
egg

eggman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #35
mries
Supporting Member

Very nice read!

MakeThisADevBlogPost!

mries is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #36
mectus11
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Campaign mode.

A collection of maps in a "metaphoric" representation of a battle area would be fought over. The results from one map would carry over to the next map. Commanders would have options for each map, those would be affected by the results from the previous map.

Ultimately there would be a victory condition for the complete campaign, but that could go on for a very long time (several hours, possibly a day or two).

I would accompany this with some form of persistence so that if you had to drop from the campaign (because real life would not let you have a 27 hour gaming session) you would be able to check back in, or rejoin. This would be exposed on a website. If you chose to rejoin the campaign, you would rejoin the same team and your history for that campaign would be preserved.

This can all be done by hacking the BF2 persistence layer into a proprietary back end service.

egg
A mode similar to what Planetside was/is? It would be interesting to do and could be done in a way that isn't overly complicated.

Setting up a "Campaign" server, have each round be a "battle" and the victor of that battle is the team with the most tickets then it automatically updates on a map where all the PR maps take place.

Problem would be dividing the teams, giving factions away to a team and getting the balance right. Then you'd have the issue of having "proper" commanders and a dedicated playerbase to this mode which I don't see happening.

It'd be fun if this was given the time by the dev team.

or people could join the official project reality tournament which is not too far off from that.

mectus11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #37
OriginalWarrior

Quote:

I wanted to radically alter the gameplay. I realized that we could never simulate actual combat in a "realistic" way, so my focus was on modeling the "human dynamics" of combat. Specifically a focus on amplifying the reliance on the "band of brothers" around you as a critical aspect of survival in a combat situation. That drove the design focus to make teamwork a critical element required for success in the mod.
Its worked for so many years too, what can we do to get you old DEVs back on the team? We need you. Desperately.
OriginalWarrior is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #38
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Great post, Eggman. Really happy things worked out for you!

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Jaymz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:46 PM   #39
[R-CON]X1 Spriggan
PR:BF2 Contributor

eggman, you are my spirit animal

[17:21] Falkun: im making spaghetti
[17:21] Falkun: lal
[17:22] Falkun: i'll put some in an envelope for you
[R-CON]X1 Spriggan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:27 PM   #40
FFG
Project Reality Beta Tester
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalWarrior View Post
Its worked for so many years too, what can we do to get you old DEVs back on the team? We need you. Desperately.
I heard that the SQUAD devs have been paying off the PR devs to sabotage the game so that people will go play SQUAD. XD

FFG is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
man, started