project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #11
Aiii

Default Re: Linux - PRBF2 Now Partially Works through WINE

very
well im done with windows. my last attempt with win10 was a huge failure with bsod every half hour. i always keep an eye on realitymod hoping for a working solution or a port. i totally understand that this would require a lot of work and probably there is no real demand for a linux port. I fully appreciate the straight answer from a dev. atm Insurgency is my pr on linux, which is far from the fun I had in pr. I would even give donation if there would be an attempt for porting. The hope never dies

Aiii is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:54 AM   #12
Cossack
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cossack

If you have BSOD with Windows 10, some devices are not working properly or some things are missing like drivers.

Or if it was non-legal version, there are issues with the version.

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #13
Ruskington
Supporting Member

Yesterday I installed PR inside a Windows virtual machine using qemu, kvm, and virt-manager and it actually works, even if my little ThinkPad was unable to run at any acceptable framerate (it takes 20 seconds to play the rifle animation when you spawn).

I will try a passthrough with a ExpressCard adapter for a GPU from my desktop and see if it performs any better. Theoretically, performance should be close to native given enough RAM.
Ruskington is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:53 AM   #14
[R-DEV]Arab
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Any news on this?

[R-DEV]Arab is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #15
fighterpil

Would PR work with PlayOnMac? Also, I would really appreciate it if somebody made a Mac port of PR, but, unfortunately, I doubt that will ever happen.
fighterpil is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #16
[R-DEV]Yosik
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskington View Post
Yesterday I installed PR inside a Windows virtual machine using qemu, kvm, and virt-manager and it actually works, even if my little ThinkPad was unable to run at any acceptable framerate (it takes 20 seconds to play the rifle animation when you spawn).

I will try a passthrough with a ExpressCard adapter for a GPU from my desktop and see if it performs any better. Theoretically, performance should be close to native given enough RAM.
QEMU/VMWare/VirtualBox should work for everyone in theory since it's completely contained. Although I wouldn't recommend QEMU since it's way more complicated to set up and use, and it has completely different design goals. Maybe I am wrong but it should be slower while having a reduced footprint because the alternatives put a lot of effort into optimizing regular user usage and things like GPU utilization while QEMU is mainly for advanced testing by devs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpil View Post
Would PR work with PlayOnMac? Also, I would really appreciate it if somebody made a Mac port of PR, but, unfortunately, I doubt that will ever happen.
There can't be a port of PR to any new system since we don't have have the source code, only a playonmac/wine package for PR.
The BF2142 Mac version was basically the windows binaries wrapped in Cider which is based on Wine. It worked fine on Mac AFAIK and it's practically the same engine as BF2 so there shouldn't be an issue. Seeing that PlayOnLinux is a port of Wine for Mac it should also work. They even have BF1942 on their supported games list.
However, you will only be able to play singleplay as other wine users.

Regarding my last point about only singleplayer working in Wine - I spent some time looking into it a while ago and even consulted with Wine devs but didn't get very far. Fixing it is beyond playing with .dll settings and will require re-writing PR Launcher's interaction with the BF2 binary without messing everything up. I currently lack the time and have more important tasks for regular PR so I am not actively looking into it but I might come back to it at some point.
Maybe someday we will be able to get rid of Windows from our lives

[R-DEV]Yosik is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, partially, prbf2, wine, works