project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
22 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #1
_MB_
Default Why do conventional forces not use SMG's

Hello,

I quite like insurgency maps playing both sides. What I noticed is that I feel a little bit cheating playing as an insurgent with an smg. The reason is that (at least it seem so to me) the smg can fire with proper accuracy almost immidietaly after movement, whereas you need a few seconds (2?) with an assault rifle issued for any conventional force in this game to have at laeast some chance of hitting, even at as short ranges as 10 or 15 meters.

So the result is that when I am running around with my SMG and bump into a soldier (or 2 or 3), we all go full auto but I mow them down and often even don't get hit as the AR's are too unstable compared to my gun.

My question is, why do conventional forces never employ SMG's? I understand that in a desert or any other typicaly long range fighting enviroment it would be usless (as on the other hand SMG will never reach the one shot accuracy of aimed AR), but wuldn't it make sense to give it to soldiers in for example urban maps or other more close range places?

You may say that the reason is that you want people to play more of a tactical long-range fighting than CoD, but on the other hand wouldn't each army give its soldiers what could help them acheive their goal?

The only reason I could understand would be that SMG's are just not issued in armies as I know nothing about this field, so if this is the case, feel free to educate me.

Have a nice day,

MB
_MB_ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
Jacksonez__

Default Re: Why do conventional forces not use SMG's

Quote:
The only reason I could understand would be that SMG's are just not issued in armies
Regular G.Is don't get SMGs, only special forces or recon-forces as they are not on mission to kill targets, SMG is just self-defense.

In real life there is no deviation (newsflash) and people know how to aim their rifles to kill the target, no need to spray and pray. Also, rifles have higher caliber than SMGs so you need one or two shots to kill the target aanddd rifles are more accurate.

I like to grab a crewman kit when I am playing on MEC b/c of MP5

Jacksonez__ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:17 PM   #3
ZektorSK

Send a message via Skype™ to ZektorSK

But SMG is still very bad weapon,compared to classical rifles...
ZektorSK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #4
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

We've all seen the airport police with MP 5 and also my local military police use them and they explained having 30 9mm is alot of close range stopping power. So SF would use them for clearing buildings.

PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:33 AM   #5
KingKong.CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLODDITHANLEY View Post
We've all seen the airport police with MP 5 and also my local military police use them and they explained having 30 9mm is alot of close range stopping power. So SF would use them for clearing buildings.
I think the main reason for having SMGs in police units is the fear of killing innocent civilians. With an assault rifle, bullet can kill a bad guy, and also two persons behind him. Also, assault rifle bullets can kill someone kilometer away, so firing a burst at the enemy can kill people on a bus stop, few blocks away.
KingKong.CCCP is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
conventional, forces, smg