project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
25 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
[R-CON]Senshi
PR:BF2 Contributor
PR Server License Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to [R-CON]Senshi
Default Project Reality Mapviewer

What is this?
Simple: It's a map viewer that allows to interactively view all the maps PR offers (2D only ). Think of Google Maps, but for PR. Navigation not included.

Okay, but why?
I always felt an interactive mapviewer is something PR always lacked, and with my investment in the PR tournament, I decided to pick this project up again, because it might be useful for strategists. And going from the feedback I got from there, it seems like people like it.

Are you a nerd?
Considering I've been on-and-off working on the underlying mod explorer tool for years, I think the safe answer is YES. It's ~9000 lines of Java code by now, and is able to parse and reconstruct almost the entire BF2 game database in json/xml.

The map viewer is really just a side project I've picked up a couple months ago, because I wanted a better implementation for my wiki (another side project, see sig).

Hey, this doesn't work as well as Google Maps does...
The mapviewer is certainly WIP, but I feel it's pretty useful by now. It works on most major browsers: Chromium, Firefox, IE11 & Edge. Surprisingly, Edge currently works even better than Firefox, though it's just some visual offsets, nothing game-breaking. It even works on my Android smartphone, though it's not really fun with the tiny screen. I'm still not super happy with the interface design, but it hasn't been a priority (function first!).
Also, this is my first project that involves more than "Hello World" Javascript and CSS...

The best part (for me) is: Updating the entire thing takes me two clicks and a batch-upload of ~490 files (~22MB total). That means whenever PR gets patched, I don't have to comb through all files for changes, but instead just recompile it automagically . This means that you can expect the mapviewer to be updated very shortly after an update.

Why do I only see this now???
I presented my first WIP versions with rudimentary functionality and a lot of web design bugs back in the PRT forums (Original thread here), but exposure there is obviously limited. Most PR players hang out in this here forum.

To increase exposure and get more feedback on possible bugs and user wishes, I'm presenting the viewer here to a wider audience. Feel free to use it frequently and share it to non-forum-goers. And PLEASE, come back here and yell at me if things are broken/unintuitive/missing that you would like to have. Only then can I know where I can improve it!

Currently implemented features:
  • All maps, all gamemodes
  • Super high res tiles (2048?px for 1km, 4096?px for 2km, 8192?px for 4km maps). This means at least double the resolution of the ingame map.
  • Subtle color range corrections on all maps to make them easier to read
  • Zoom& pan maps
  • Clickable vehicle icons for additional information
  • List presentation of all vehicles for both teams (filter for one team only by pressing the "Team" buttons above the list or collapse the list entirely by clicking the big tank icon in the top right)
  • Clickable flags (incl. radius circle) with all info
  • Visual representation of AAS routes. Individual routes are toggleable using the big button in the top right header
  • Clickable combatareas ("dome of death") with relevant info
  • Layers can be toggled off/on as desired (use the small white layers-icon on the top right of the map)

Current feature wish-list:
  • Show actual individual soldier spawners in base, grouped by selectable spawnpoints
  • Show information about kit availability and composition for each gamemode faction
  • Show general information about the map (size, viewrange, fogrange...)
  • Link assets in asset list with their icons on the map (e.g. highlight map icons when hovering over the corresponding list entry, and vice versa)
  • Ability to draw on map. And save it/forward/share it. This is a big one, and is still far, far away.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Participant in Nordic Storm campaign - ARC

PR Wiki | BF2 Mod Explorer | PR Mapviewer
[R-CON]Senshi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:47 PM   #2
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Project Reality Mapviewer

This is awesome. Now i have to slap Turista until he integrates it into the map gallery
One thing i find a bit annoying tho: When you open a map you are centered on the top left corner of the map. Would make sense to center it to the mid of the map.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
[R-DEV]Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:47 AM   #3
solidfire93

Thumbs up Re: Project Reality Mapviewer

cutting edge shit right here !

Amazing work here m8.

i like it, keep up the good work.
Last edited by solidfire93; 12-08-2015 at 02:56 AM..
Old 12-08-2015, 03:42 AM   #4
My_Self

Wow this is incredibly useful.
Only thing is the lack of assets conditioned by capturing first flag (see Muttrah or Beirut AAS).
Thank you so much for the Google maps of PR

upd: The other issue i've noticed is sometimes it doesn't let you choose gamemode after choosing the maps by clicking the layers button. You have to reload the page manually.

Also, is it possible to show ticket cost for each asset?
Last edited by My_Self; 12-08-2015 at 04:12 AM..
Old 12-08-2015, 04:16 AM   #5
[R-CON]Senshi

Thanks for the responses, guys.

@Mats: Fixed for next version. Just changing two numbers was necessary .

@My_Self:
First flag assets: Odd that I never noticed that. Thanks for the report, I'll have to look into that. That certainly is a must-have.

Layers button? You mean the "choose gamemode" subtitle? Odd, that always works for me. Sometimes however the map stays empty when switching map (not gamemode). Apparently some race condition that I've monitored for some time, but haven't tracked down yet.

[R-CON]Senshi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:30 AM   #6
My_Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
Layers button? You mean the "choose gamemode" subtitle? Odd, that always works for me. Sometimes however the map stays empty when switching map (not gamemode). Apparently some race condition that I've monitored for some time, but haven't tracked down yet.
Yes, the #Map-button one. Weird, I can't reproduce the issue now either.
The way I did it before was:
1. Go to tournament.realitymod.com/mapviewer , choose a map and a gamemode
2. Click #Map-button, choose another map
3. The result was that "MapGallery" value in #SubTitle-title was never replaced with "Choose a gamemode" dropdown.
Must've been a load issue.

upd: There it is. Notice Barracuda showing Kashan gamemodes.
I'm on Chrome 46.0.2490.86 m, Win 8.1 Pro
Attached Thumbnails
layer_bug.png  
Last edited by My_Self; 12-08-2015 at 05:23 AM..
Old 12-08-2015, 11:15 PM   #7
Evox
Send a message via MSN to Evox

wow! nice work!
Evox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #8
Wing Walker

HOLY CRAP!
Wing Walker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #9
Stalker[SpecOps]

Awesome job!
Stalker[SpecOps] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:47 AM   #10
[R-CON]Senshi

Updated
  • Map now focuses on the center of the map instead of topleft corner on opening
  • Fixed Dragon Fly skirmish overlaying every other gamemode
  • Improved number formatting (seconds are properly converted to mm:ss for respawn times)
  • Added recognition and display of maxnrofobjects spawners (more than one vehicle can spawn from a single spawner, if the first vehicle has been moved from the spawn location).
  • Added recognition and visualization of spawner-ownership (link between object and flag: Object only spawns if the flag is held by the correct team).
    This means objects that will only spawn once a formerly neutral/enemy flag has been captured are now shown properly (see Muttrah City).
    Visualized by orange line when hovering the cursor over an icon.
  • Added handling of spawners that spawn different objects depending on who controls the parent flag (not sure if PR uses this anywhere, so not tested, but it should work)

EDIT:
@My_Self: Thanks for reproducing it.
I'm pretty sure I know what causes this. The process of loading a map and its gamemodes takes some time (JSON and icon images have to be downloaded and parsed). The interface is not blocked during this, so you can move around the map already, and the icons and features will "pop in" when they are ready.
And as particular UI elements such as the gamemodelist can only updated once the gamemodelist has been read and parsed, you can basically overtake the parsing and have loaded an entirely different map in the meantime. Currently the mapviewer doesn't recognize it has to abort/discard the old loading and start a fresh one, possibly throwing everything into chaos. Async-load handling is annoying, and I'll need a couple of free hours to make a good handler for this. Especially as I don't consider it overly critical .

Last edited by [R-CON]Senshi; 12-10-2015 at 08:52 AM..

Tags
mapviewer, project, reality