project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
02 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #131
DDS
Supporting Member

Default Re: TART - What was wrong?

A lot of ideas here but with any endeavor it takes people, time and commitment. Wicca should be given some credit for stepping up and asking for feedback. PRT worked well with those ingredients and probably suffered burn out from constant demands. If anything require people to participate MORE. Volunteer organizations, charities work because people fill gaps where needed. They don't tolerate people sniping off the side but would hand you a broom or show you the door. When you lean on so many people for too long it falls apart. Oh, and if students get concessions for them then so should working stiffs like myself who work all day. People complaining about certain aspects missing or lacking.. step up and make it happen. DDS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tactical Gamer was an Excellent Server. Yeah that's right, I said that, go a head and BAN ME from your server now!
DDS is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #132
Raic

Standby, incoming hate . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes_Sbg View Post
You have no influence on how the leadership team will preform. You can carefully choose the CO and hope it will work out. I focus on the structures because thats the thing you can change. Here are problems I have seen and possible solutions:
  • There have been some obvious frictions between leadership of CORD and Admins. Training servers never met our needs. We operated with 25 man squads, training servers only supported 6 man squads. Forum was a mess and would have needed a complete new structure for CORD to provide what we needed. I have no insight why both was never changed.
    One solution would be to just give the CO or GSO all the rights to adjust server and forum to their needs. And yes, you would need a separated forum for each team and would mean you put a lot of trust in that CO or GSO. Other solution would be a kind of "embedded admin", which the admin team would provide, but would be part of the team.

• In CORD Platoon 2 was the dysfunctional part. Platoon Leaders and Squad Leaders changed frequently, no one felt responsible, grunt didn't show of because of it. The offensive INF Platoon 1 worked pretty well and the PL kept his man together. This led to situations where over 75% of the INF was assigned to attack, while the defensive Platoon was down to 6-8 men.
    How can you (as organizers not as CO) prevent that from happen again? You can screen the teams, looking for possible weaknesses in leadership and have a reserver (kind of task force) you can send in to take over that dysfunctional part of the team. Or you can try to flatten and open up the hierarchy to make it as easy as possible to step up and fill the hole. I already made some suggests how to archive the later one.
Commanders were the ones organizing the TART before, Admins were only there to do stuff Commanders asked.
Servers were late, this was problem with Admin and such take blame for that.

Your solutions are exactly what we did. Commanders were in charge and had rights on the training servers, the rights were also given to all officers on request. Again, people not doing their job, little to do with non-working system.

However Commanders now aren't in charge of everything, only their teams. They will most likely still keeps the server rights and they will be given to as many officers as possible.
But now admins will be making decision factors on maps/servers/rules/announcements so we don't need to wait for Commanders decision for too long. They will keep their ability to reply and see some parts of the forums. So their voice won't be silenced.

The forums, not sure what were the problems and none of those were ever brought to my attention.

Team structure is not admins problem. I can give you forums, ask. I can give anyone what ever rank, ask. I can get you the server, ask. I can give you unimaginable pleasure, ask. I can't make good leadership appear, even if you ask. It simply is something you have to find and build yourself. I can't give you things you don't ask.

Now, anyone can step up for officer if we are missing one. Finding good officers can be a difficult, but any active member can raise the rank. Again, inactive team, not interested in contacting other officers and taking charge officially. Good ideas on how to bring people into officer ranks are appreciated.

Communications was one problem, I pointed this to commanders couple time that people are having trouble understanding what is going on and what they are supposed to do. This also caused that people didn't know they can simply contact their officers or commander if they have questions or are willing to try officer position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious302 View Post
Fucking words
You make a great point, because checking forums daily, spending an hour to train a week and couple more for battle every-two week makes man a huge neeeeee~rd. And what discussion did you start? All I can remember was you making a huge dumbass of yourself. You were removed because you said you can't make it to matches at 2000, because its not between 1500 and 2200, and I am fucking quoting you. You make a fair point that the tournament needs to get its interest factor higher, and that was happening. Squads were making signatures and logos and making a image of who they are. This isn't something organizers can do. Were not going to run more than one battle as they have chance or running up to 4 hours, not interested in 12hours of gaming.

As for "weekend warriors" and other crap. We have a set battledate which is where it is because that is the best time for most players. MOST, as in any other date and we get less. Other requirement is that squad must have a training from time to time. These are not amazingly hard concepts and if you really don't find time to do this, I cannot imagine how you find time to breath.

And you should know this, as I told you last time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFunk View Post
I thought about actually trying to invest my time in discussing the evolving TART situation, but frankly I've decided its a waste of time to invest any real time here. Nobody is listening. The tournament is run by a slected inner circle of people who Wicca has decided he trusts and will get to direct things. Anything else mentioned here is likely to just get rejected out right or be in one ear and out the other.

If Wicca likes you or listens to you then you're the man. If not, don't waste your breath and just join the team with your friends on it.

There is no real discussion happening. People will only hear what they want to here.
Cool, signup for CO or GSO? I like the inner circle part, really? You don't fucking say that people who have decided to give their hand and help make decisions? We are reading this thread, doesn't mean we need to agree with it or that people replying in it recognize the actual problems we had.

Biggest problems were in teams not getting activated and the couple who were, made decision to disactivate, because one side was overwhelming.
These two were THE problems, how do we fix them? People join and get active, active people activate others. Second, we will try to keep the teams a bit more even.

What else, make the tournament this and that? Sure, we could, we decided not to do that and decided to do this. Someone has to make the decision and no, you may not do it unless you step up.

I admit I was too inactive myself in kicking Commanders and the teams butt forward, when I recognized the inactiveness. But we will be trying and getting some people in who are to do just that, pushing teams a little if there are problems. And we will be communicating with the teams more.

What else is there?
Hierarchy? Hardly.
Forums? Maybe.
Keep the 128? Rather not.
Signing up? Yep, that be needing some ironing.
Most what people say is wrong was in the teams organization, nothing I can do about as it is the team itself doing that, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS View Post
A lot of ideas here but with any endeavor it takes people, time and commitment. Wicca should be given some credit for stepping up and asking for feedback. PRT worked well with those ingredients and probably suffered burn out from constant demands. If anything require people to participate MORE. Volunteer organizations, charities work because people fill gaps where needed. They don't tolerate people sniping off the side but would hand you a broom or show you the door. When you lean on so many people for too long it falls apart. Oh, and if students get concessions for them then so should working stiffs like myself who work all day. People complaining about certain aspects missing or lacking.. step up and make it happen. DDS
I could kiss you.
Raic is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #133
CopyCat

Amen Raic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Central Asian Treaty Alliance [CATA] - Campaign 9

"The only thing neccesary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing"
CopyCat is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #134
MaxBooZe
Project Reality Beta Tester
PR Server License Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to MaxBooZe

Quote:
There is no real discussion happening. People will only hear what they want to here.
I could point out the irony, but for the sake of the discussion I will refrain. I'm pretty sure Wicca listens to actual constructive criticism, not people who say that no one will play on a Saturday even though it is quite a shown statistic (Look @ Steam/Xfire) that activity is higher on a Saturday evening than on a regular evening.

MaxBooZe is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #135
Truism

So who is actually making up your chain of comd? Butchers, bakers and students? You have a dozen or so officers on these forums, and many more other ranks. Canvas the community well in advance, identify the people with a commission or warrant attesting to their ability to organise and lead military organisations, and create a chain of command from them, then use your admin staff to support them. I think at the moment, you're asking the wrong people to do the job, and the level of accountability and results follow from that. Get a more accurate snapshot of the resources you have to achieve this, and come up with a plan that most efficiently distributes them.

SSGTSEAL <headshot M4> Osama

Counter-Terrorists Win!
Truism is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #136
PFunk

Seriously Raic? Step up? I've been doing nothing but step up since before the PRT died. I'm not trying to throw myself on the cross but to tell me that I didn't step up, even as recently as TART2 is just revisionist history.

All I've ever done is step up and fill in for when others don't do their jobs, becuase thats what people do when things have to get done. Its not special, its what tournaments and teams rely on to function.

Like I said I don't want recognition or anything, but don't tell me I need to step up when I have an opinion that defies the tournament's image. I've done plenty to plug gaps in my time, whether people agreed with how I went about my business or not.

Don't be an arse just cause you're defending the tournament. Admin are supposed to be cooler cats than that.

[PR]NATO|P*Funk

PFunk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #137
Web_cole
PR Server License Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Web_cole Send a message via Skype™ to Web_cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truism View Post
So who is actually making up your chain of comd? Butchers, bakers and students? You have a dozen or so officers on these forums, and many more other ranks. Canvas the community well in advance, identify the people with a commission or warrant attesting to their ability to organise and lead military organisations, and create a chain of command from them, then use your admin staff to support them. I think at the moment, you're asking the wrong people to do the job, and the level of accountability and results follow from that. Get a more accurate snapshot of the resources you have to achieve this, and come up with a plan that most efficiently distributes them.
Really I would say the opposite is true. If you are on these forums every day you are probably aware that there is a tournament, in one form or another, and you've probably either been there done that don't want to do it again, or you're just not all that interested, or don't have time.

One of Wiccas stated aims for this TART has been to get new blood in. The problem as far as I can see is there is no exposure in the places where newer eyes might read about it. The tournament tab up top doesn't go to TART, there's no front page link or news post, no scrolling message at the bottom of your screen when you start up PR. Now there are obvious reasons why those things don't exist, but at the same time my point stands; the only people who know about TART, are the people who already know about TART.

For Aiur
Last edited by Web_cole; 08-08-2012 at 12:31 PM..
Old 08-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #138
DDS
Supporting Member

Quote:
Seriously Raic? Step up? I've been doing nothing but step up since before the PRT died. I'm not trying to throw myself on the cross but to tell me that I didn't step up, even as recently as TART2 is just revisionist history.

All I've ever done is step up and fill in for when others don't do their jobs, becuase thats what people do when things have to get done. Its not special, its what tournaments and teams rely on to function.

Like I said I don't want recognition or anything, but don't tell me I need to step up when I have an opinion that defies the tournament's image. I've done plenty to plug gaps in my time, whether people agreed with how I went about my business or not.

Don't be an arse just cause you're defending the tournament. Admin are supposed to be cooler cats than that.
It should apply to those who don't step up as opposed to the step uppers. I commend you for that. As for me I have one arm and one leg until after surgery. Then I'll be a steppin' up.
Cheers

Tactical Gamer was an Excellent Server. Yeah that's right, I said that, go a head and BAN ME from your server now!
Last edited by DDS; 08-08-2012 at 03:15 PM..
Old 08-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #139
Vicious302
Banned

How could the forum problems not be obvious. There were mulitple redudant announcement threads, whoever was in charge of the forums has no experience with that and the admins and staff should have seen that and taken charge before the signups, let alone, the first battle. I signed up to be an officer and got picked over someone who I had never seen or heard of before and in 5+ years of tournament and public play when you don't know someones name, thats not great. not bad, just not great.

Raic and those complaining about the Nerd comment and the Saturday hours: I'm only saying your a nerd because your making yourself avaialble for a very specific time on a very busy day. I don't doubt that that's the best DAY for the tournament I'm just saying the hours need to be expanded so that one isn't excpected to set aside their dinner hours in order to play a game. There are SOOO many problems that come with only playing 1 round with 64 players. No one is going to feel involved. You basically need only 64 players that are going to show up every other week. If that's all you need I'm not sure why your involving a community of hundreds if not thousands of players in a converstaion that really only needs 64 people. So you have a few guys for backup? well if they don't play because the servers full, they get to play in your tournament once a month, and with once a month, you have basically the time given to you as some people spend writing checks for their bills. If you want to involve more people, INVOLVE MORE PEOPLE, 128+ 12 HOURS, EVERY WEEK. !!!!

This is supposed to be a fun tournament and it's nothing but tightwads not willing to concede anything to the greater purpose of FUN! And if it's not for fun, make a fun tournament as I'm describing and take your serious pants bullshit somewhere else.
Vicious302 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #140
CopyCat

Quote:
I signed up to be an officer and got picked over someone who I had never seen or heard of before and in 5+ years of tournament and public play when you don't know someones name, thats not great. not bad, just not great.

might be probably because the application form that is filled in tells more then you or anyone else ?! There is no random picks or "What I feel for" picks, all selections are based on experience, knowledge, motivation and dedication otherwise the pick is not legit (doooh).

Quote:
Raic and those complaining about the Nerd comment and the Saturday hours: I'm only saying your a nerd because your making yourself avaialble for a very specific time on a very busy day. I don't doubt that that's the best DAY for the tournament I'm just saying the hours need to be expanded so that one isn't excpected to set aside their dinner hours in order to play a game.
Quote:
This is supposed to be a fun tournament and it's nothing but tightwads not willing to concede anything to the greater purpose of FUN! And if it's not for fun, make a fun tournament as I'm describing and take your serious pants bullshit somewhere else.
Quote:
INVOLVE MORE PEOPLE, 128+ 12 HOURS, EVERY WEEK. !!!!
I believe we did come to a conclusion/solution that the tournament rosters/ingame slots will expand based on the numbers applying and participating?

Am I the only one getting a feeling Vicious here is on reaaaaaaaally wrong tracks when it comes to tournament and setup/organized events? (Considering your argument is based on from your point of view and constructive criticism probably flew out the window from your first post.) Try with facts, known errors among the members and players from the tournaments and etc to critics and recognize the problem to then propose or discuss a solution instead of spitting out everything you've got just to prove a point and call the rest a BS... PRT and TART tournaments had same concept and guideline to reach maximum enjoyment, giving the best team oriented and competitive environment to let people explore the game and play it as it was meant to be (organized, planned and executed to nearly a perfection). Tournaments like PRT and TART required dedication, willingness to try new things, interest and the will to become better, if you had that and if your team was always motivated or had similar aims and goals you would reach the highest level of enjoyment and fun during trainings, battles, plannings and even staff/platoon/squad meetings. Of course stubborn and ignorant players/members never reached that level due to lacking understanding or barely having a bit of team spirit to give it at least a chance. Want some fun on average public server level, go play on PRTA/NEW/Merk or any of their events, they got some pretty bad ass ones, but if you want something more then that, I'll say welcome to the tournament - This is serious business.

No offense.

/CC

Central Asian Treaty Alliance [CATA] - Campaign 9

"The only thing neccesary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing"
Last edited by CopyCat; 08-08-2012 at 06:35 PM..

Tags
tart, wrong