project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
22 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
cyberzomby

Default Playing PR without damaging your ears

Hello everyone,

today I decided to hit up PR again since months. The main reason I stopped playing was the fact that I loved the 100 player servers but my computer didn't. And the fact that I discovered I had ringing ears. I always played PR with headphones. I had the volume on the lowest but it was still kind of loud. After playing for a long time I discovered I could lower the in game audio in the menu...

So! While playing today I discovered I could get an average FPS on 64 player servers but I still couldn't find the sweet spot audio wise. Either the in game sounds where to quiet (Humvee's appearing out of nowhere :P ) or the voices from Mumble/Voip where to quiet.

So I was wondering how most people play PR. Do you use headphones or do you use speakers? Can you guys hear everything or do you play with either one of the two to quiet for your liking?
cyberzomby is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
totte1015
Banned
Default Re: Playing PR without damaging your ears

I just set Windows sound settings for BF2.exe to fairly low, and raise the ingame settings for it to highest, that way i can hear the surrounding sounds best, without damaging my ears :S
totte1015 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
[R-DEV]Adriaan
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

I usually have ingame sound set to around 25% so I can hear Mumble comms properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Adriaan is online now Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
[R-DEV]Rudd
Supporting Member

I'm the same as Adriaan, plus I have volume hotkeys for mumble to adapt to other people's microphones etc

I play with headphones, I have get to get any hearing problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
cyberzomby

[QUOTE=Rudd;1795902]I'm the same as Adriaan, plus I have volume hotkeys for mumble to adapt to other people's microphones etc

/QUOTE]

Yea thats something I found out fast thankfully. Think I did that when someone on TS came in with a very loud microphone :P

Thanks so far for the settings. I'll see how thats like.
cyberzomby is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Steeps
Supporting Member

I use 35% for in-game sounds. My music setting is near zero because well... it's kind of pointless. My mumble volume is at default though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
fillsson

If mumble, teamspeak and PR are canceling out each others sound you need to:
Right click the sound icon in your icon tray
Click playback devices
Click the communications tab
and then click the "Do nothing" box.

Hope this helps
fillsson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
KillJoy[Fr]

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Adriaan View Post
I usually have ingame sound set to around 25% so I can hear Mumble comms properly.
same i also use a vibration headset to improve the gameplay experience,

Au dela du possible ...
KillJoy[Fr] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
Arnoldio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by totte1015 View Post
I just set Windows sound settings for BF2.exe to fairly low, and raise the ingame settings for it to highest, that way i can hear the surrounding sounds best, without damaging my ears :S
This. Thing is that many older games have some kind of gradual sound increase, that way if some sounds is not lud enoug, it wont get played, hence the suddens sounds. This happens at the lowest level though. Seting the volume lower in the windows allows the game to play all sounds but generally at a lower volume, dictated by Win.
Arnoldio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

I personally have two sound cards, main one plays ingame/PC sounds and is hooked up to my 5.1 speakers, the second only plays sounds from mumble/TS, with it being hooked up to a 1 bit headset (don't get positional audio but can at least hear mumble/ts clearly, directly into my right ear).

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
damaging, ears, playing