project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
20 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
Hunt3r
Default For future reference: Knowledge applicable to Project Reality

Yes, this is going to be a whole lot of AFV and aircraft stuff. Some things may be left uncited, but I will try to do my best. Diagrams might happen. This is just a note of things that are wrong in PR .97 as it is, to the best of my knowledge. I'm sure that the devs know that they are far from perfect, but I digress.

Yes, many AFV sources will come from SB Pro PE. I know the devs/MAs will get annoyed because IT'S A GAME, but it's a simulator realistic enough to be used by multiple militaries for training exercises. If you really want to verify some of the things in the Bradley, Ssnake on the SB forums is the go-to guy. The forum also has a bunch of people who have direct experience with many AFVs, and can give direct accounts.

1. Bradley's entire TOW system is modeled wrong. There is no wait time from switching from autocannon to TOW, it's basically either the time it takes to flick a switch that changes the image/reticle, or to switch your eye from one eyepiece to the other. Of course, this is assuming that you've already stopped and flicked the switch to let the TOW box raise up from the stowed position. On the move (which is to say, any faster than 5 mph, or the speed of a walking infantryman), it should always be lowered. Also, reloading of the TOW requires that the turret be swung to about 10 o'clock and then raised up as high as possible, and then from there someone in the back of the vehicle can pop the large hatch (if you look closely at the model in PR you can notice it too), and then reloads the missile box.

Oh, and the TOW reticle is permanently visible in the daytime sights.

Source and images: M2A2 - SBWiki

2. Gunner sights in general are placed in all the wrong places. They are never directly next to the gun, those are backup sights designed for when the primary sights have been damaged in some way. I'm not going to find every single image, it's easy enough to guess where they are just by looking for the biggest piece of boxy glass on top of the turret. (or near it) Those who stay in the know about PR glitches will know that this point is a weakspot in the Abrams, and that a single AP shell from a tank to that point will set it on fire or destroy it.

http://data4.primeportal.net/tanks/j...332_of_435.jpg
Close-up

General positioning

3. The Bradley M2A3 (which is currently what is being deployed by the US Army now, the A2 is basically a second line now) also happens to have a FLIR-based autotracker, as far as I can tell it is used for TOWs, mostly because gunners flinch from firing one (practicing live TOW firing isn't cheap!), and to maximize range. I posted all about this here: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10-...es-source.html

4. On the same note, the Apache has the same type of system, so it's actually quite realistic for it to be able to lock on to a vehicle that is sufficiently contrasted to the background (in terms of thermal radiation). You can see it in action here: AH-64 friendly fire incident, 1991 - YouTube

5. IRL basically every modern jet has a targeting pod, and at the very least they have the ability to do self-guided strikes for precision weaponry. I don't know about thermal contrast auto-tracking, but basically, imagine PR's current Tornado/fighter-bombers in general, but with only one seat to fly and gun at the same time. DCS: A-10C is a pretty accurate simulation of these systems, although the aircraft that have it may be vastly different.

On the same note, IRL jets do not bomb anything like the way that it happens in PR. Yes, free fall bombs are used, but basically every modern jet has continuously calculated impact point for guns/bombs to improve accuracy, and for bombs there's also CCRP for where you have already designated a target. Both can be quite precise, and much better than PR's current BF2-esque system of just guessing and divebombing, and using lases for precise targeting. I know this is probably hardcoded, so this is just something to keep in mind.

6. For the most part, tanks in PR shouldn't have a person manning the HMG up top, as pretty much every single modern tank, and some that aren't so modern, have remotely controlled guns in some shape or form, almost always controlled by the crew commander.

7. AFVs don't have 250 round belts of coax, they have a massive belt of coax (Abrams has something like 2000 rounds at the ready) that gets topped up by 250 round boxes by connecting the links. Yes, this is a very mundane and boring, but for future reference this is how it works.

I guess this is all for now, I'm tired and maybe I'll write some more tomorrow, but for now, this is probably the most I could think in terms of inaccuracies present in PR's vehicles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by [R-DEV]Spec; 06-30-2012 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Removed oversized image, replaced with link
Old 06-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
[508th_PIR] Grey
Supporting Member

Default Re: For future reference: Knowledge applicable to Project Reality

Respectfully, I don't think much of this information is applicable to balanced gameplay.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
dtacs
Supporting Member

Quote:
Knowledge applicable to Project Reality
Quote:
Respectfully, I don't think much of this information is applicable to balanced gameplay.
Agreed.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
Spush
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Sounds like a suggestion outside of the suggestion section .
Old 06-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
B.Pronk(NL)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Spush View Post
Sounds like a suggestion outside of the suggestion section .
Wait why don't you lock then? Mr. Not so Obvious

You my friend need protection!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
SShadowFox

Military advisers, they know all of this, if is not featured, must have a reason.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
[R-DEV]Spec
Lead Forum Moderator

Locking. Pronk, because Spush is not a forum moderator and doesn't need to do our jobs, thanks for your concern.

Edit: Reason for lock, before the question comes up again: Suggestion. Feel free to post it again in the suggestions section where we will review it, although from the looks of it, those are both resuggestions / known errors. Thank you anyway, good to see the community wanting to improve the game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature! || If you need help or have a question, feel free to contact me via

Old 06-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
[R-MOD]Dunehunter
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to [R-MOD]Dunehunter

Even better Spec - these are suggestions for factions for which we have MAs.

[R-MOD]Jigsaw] I am drunk. I decided to come home early because I can''t realy seea nyithng. I hthknk i madea bad choicce.
Closed Thread

Tags
applicable, future, knowledge, project, reality, reference