project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
16 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Wokeye
Default Considered Kickstarter of PR v2.0?

An open question to the devs/black sand studio: have you guys considered using a platform like Kickstarter to raise funds?

Personally, I've seen numbers in PR wane with BF3 etc coming out... but none of them have the blend of teamwork, tactics and strategy that PR gameplay presents. IMO we only need a new 2012 graphics/physics engine build and we'd be back in business.

I worry about the future of our community each day that goes by without PR being upgraded onto a current engine. If a reshash of Wasteland 2 can get $900K in like 48 hours - why couldn't Kickstarter be used to pay for frostbite engine licencing, contractors or something to get PRv2 out ASAP and looking awesome?

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.
Wokeye is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
dtacs
Supporting Member

Default Re: Considered Kickstarter of PR v2.0?

PR2 is already in development, and the C4 engine licence has already been bought.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
[R-CON]sylent/shooter
PR:BF2 Contributor

AFAIK, frostbite 2 is not available for licence anyways. The best bet would be cryengine 3, but as DTAC's mentioned it has already used the C4 engine licence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Killing the enemy sylently
[R-CON]sylent/shooter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
badmojo420
Supporting Member

A good question. And it doesn't really matter that the engine is already chosen and bought since any game being developed will require funding. Publicity, staff, equipment, hookers, blow... there's always a use for free money.
badmojo420 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
dtacs
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmojo420 View Post
A good question. And it doesn't really matter that the engine is already chosen and bought since any game being developed will require funding. Publicity, staff, equipment, hookers, blow... there's always a use for free money.
I don't think the management ever intends to pay PR2 developers. The game is being made the same way PRBF and PRA are: on PC's that the devs themselves own.

I'm sure that the devs have considered many options for PR2 and other endeavors, Kickstarter being only one of them. From my perspective it seems that no large-scale financial input is needed for making PR2 anyway.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
badmojo420
Supporting Member

I'm just saying "free" money could assist development, speeding things up for what is already going on. There's going to be costs in developing any game you intend to sell. Something like kickstarter could give people with no game dev skills a way to contribute directly towards PR2.

Maybe PR2 would be further along if there was a budget to pay a salary for the main developers. So they could focus all their time on development? Or maybe a professional studio could be rented for the many sound recordings. Or to pay for copyrights and other licenses.
badmojo420 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
KaizerSosa81

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmojo420 View Post
I'm just saying "free" money could assist development, speeding things up for what is already going on. There's going to be costs in developing any game you intend to sell. Something like kickstarter could give people with no game dev skills a way to contribute directly towards PR2.

Maybe PR2 would be further along if there was a budget to pay a salary for the main developers. So they could focus all their time on development? Or maybe a professional studio could be rented for the many sound recordings. Or to pay for copyrights and other licenses.

True... you'd be surprise at the interest and backing a potential game like PR2 would receive. It would even bring more players to PR, not that it is a problem of course but exposure would be great on all ends.
KaizerSosa81 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:52 AM   #8
paul161616
Supporting Member

i think i can speak for alot of the community members when i say i would definitely be willing to contribute towards pr2 to help get better sounds, or better models, or even faster development. because like you guys said, who doesnt love free money? although i seriously doubt the money would go towards devs salary as im sure they have their own careers and wouldnt want to develop pr2 full time from kickstarter salary :P i am pro pr2 kickstarter
paul161616 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:22 AM   #9
dtacs
Supporting Member

Donate now then, there is nothing stopping you. Every bit of money helps.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:47 AM   #10
[R-CON]Psyrus
PR:BF2 Contributor

^ This

If people are talking about being happy to support PR but haven't got a supporting member bar, I'm reasonably skeptical

[You may note I don't have one either, as my contributions went directly towards keeping the server I played on, active]
[R-CON]Psyrus is online now Reply With Quote

Tags
considered, kickstarter, v20