project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
17 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
dunem666

Send a message via MSN to dunem666 Send a message via Skype™ to dunem666
Default 128 Players? Still Testing?

Ive just noticed that the SISU 128 player "test" server is still going strong.

Only still testing now 2 years later....

Not time to give up or offer server files to other admins? Im sure like myself and many more agree, the community suffers in the smaller and more DEDICATED areas because of the monopoly on players.

You might as well but an "inferior" tag on all 64 players only servers.

I like to share my POV when poss. So i did.

"Bring back 0.86"

Dun3m
UK Warfare Server Administrator

dunem666 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
Tit4Tat

Default Re: 128 Players? Still Testing?

iam guessing its there "baby" type thing...unique, it attracts people for its concept. Tbh ive played on there few times and i cant say i prefer it to 64p..why? Maybe its still early days and the rules aint admin'd so much but it seems unorganised and messy..!

p.s quality over quantitie
Last edited by Tit4Tat; 03-10-2012 at 12:25 AM..
Old 03-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
Maverick

It's only up on certain times. Chill out. Also, to us USA players, we normally don't get on since the ping is an issue. The server isn't stealing your playerbase. So what if one server has 160 players? If I want to play there, then by god it's my choice to play somewhere else.

Maverick is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
DudeofDeath
Supporting Member

128 Players are awesome, especially on the larger maps, wish there was a 128 player US server too..
DudeofDeath is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
xambone

Send a message via MSN to xambone Send a message via Skype™ to xambone

Just give them more time, its not like you have done any work to help.
xambone is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #6
Steeps
Supporting Member

Personally I think it's a good choice to keep the 128 players on just one server. This could be because I just don't like it, but having so many people in the game is just a turn-off from PR. When there are over 100 players, I just feel like I'm playing BF or CoD because it is just too fast paced and you never stop shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #7
[R-DEV]Jafar Ironclad
PR:BF2 Developer

Good to hear you again on this subject, Dunem.

There are a bunch of things I want to say, and almost nothing I can actually say on the subject. I want to open a hindsight discussion though:

How much further along would the >64 player code be if, when it was brought up vociferously as a community issue many months, it was actually released to the server admins? For the sake of interest, let's try on both our idealist caps and our practical/software developer caps when pitching in to the discussion.

Whether or not the consensus here serves a particular line of action, I think it's an interesting concept.

Developmentally: What I think would have happened is that such a release would have divided the playerbase between the servers, thus resulting in less time spent at maximum server load, and therefore less testing samples/crash scenarios. Testing is not a problem when dealing with good-as-can-practically-be-done code, but the 128 player server still crashes on its new legs even today. Just ask Soppa, or anyone who is deeply involved in running/admining the server.

From a player's standpoint: I'm not truly sure. On one hand, it probably results in a server that is closer to where I live, improving my latency experience. It also gives me an opportunity to play more with my community regulars if my community is running such a server. On the other hand, it would mean fewer stable servers (as running a high-powered server is EXPENSIVE, and for many community budgets, I would imagine it precludes maintaining their former server state or buying another server).

From a server admin's standpoint, I can't really relate. But I can speculate it inspiring some intense competition for player gametime.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Jafar Ironclad; 03-10-2012 at 04:13 AM..
Old 03-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #8
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Did the testing not start 1 year from now? Not two?

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Limeni[BiH]

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Wicca View Post
Did the testing not start 1 year from now? Not two?
Definitely 1 year from now.
Limeni[BiH] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
Brainlaag

Almost exactly 1 year.
Brainlaag is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
128, players, testing