project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
15 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #41
angellfall
Default Re: 128 Players? Still Testing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunem666 View Post
Ive just noticed that the SISU 128 player "test" server is still going strong.

Only still testing now 2 years later....

Not time to give up or offer server files to other admins? Im sure like myself and many more agree, the community suffers in the smaller and more DEDICATED areas because of the monopoly on players.

You might as well but an "inferior" tag on all 64 players only servers.

I like to share my POV when poss. So i did.

"Bring back 0.86"
I must be retarded mentally somehow when i fail to understand why ppl need to have the "code". Is it just "cool" to be able to run the server by ur own? You like "own" the playerbase and when you have ur name in the servername it makes you better person?

When we runned the server with olut we didnt really give players so much chance to vote about rules or become admins. It was a time when the server was quite new tho. But now when PRTA is renting it they give their members chance to become admins on the server vote about the rules of the server ETC. ETC. So in my mind the server basicly belongs to everyone. And there was a time when sisu was looking for someone to rent the server so if you would have wanted it why didnt you take it.

Only thing what i agree with is that USA players dont have their own 128 server and i bet it might be quite frustrating for some players (there is quite huge USA playerbase in sisu) to have big ping, even if its not so important in pr.

So sometimes i just laugh at this "sisu is stealing the players from our server" why cant the ideology be if you want to play 128 go play there. Usually there is slots to join in. If you want to contribute with money shut one of the allready empty PR servers and move that money what goes in the empty server to PRTA.

Do i just horribly fail to see the point in this all? O.o
angellfall is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #42
Kain888
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manligheten View Post
Yes I agree, but no. To easy for grievers to destroy the game and you can't really recognize squad mates names.
About admining I disagree strongly. I admined a lot in the beginning of BF2:PRTA and it's nothing like that. You always check griefers by squad (caps lock) screen anyway, only ones you can't are squadless people. It's the most efficient way and most of times fastest. Almost all servers and all good have rules preventing being squadless, so problem with admining is solved.
The issue with names - yeh, it's more irritating, but you can do the same as squad leader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angellfall View Post
Do i just horribly fail to see the point in this all? O.o
Well free market allows for improving by competition. From player standpoint I would love to see more servers with 128 option to see the best survive, with best admins, rules, teamwork, etc. (ofc there also will be server that are populist, but that's the other thing). For example I would love NEW and NwA to have their representation, that would be cool for both diversity and "bottom-down voting" which IMO improves PR.
You said PRTA has system (which is great btw) that allows anyone to become admin, but most times the quantity doesn't go with quality.

Kain888 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #43
[R-COM]Arc_Shielder
PR Community Faction Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain888 View Post
You said PRTA has system (which is great btw) that allows anyone to become admin, but most times the quantity doesn't go with quality.
Which is not the case. Be it a large quantity or poor quality.

[R-COM]Arc_Shielder is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #44
Cassius
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLODDITHANLEY View Post
For me 128 is all about the squads until either more squads can be permitted or restricted to less than 100 it'll all be a bit of a mess.

Totally agree with aquatic:
I must disagree, I have seen squadleaders handle 12 men squads just fine. Oc it helps if the squadmembers arent the slowest people on the internet.

|TG|cap_Kilgore
Cassius is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #45
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I do sympathise with the people who would prefer servers with a population around 90

there are serious benefits to it, perhaps all 100+ servers should be locked and only used for big events

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #46
AquaticPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
I must disagree, I have seen squadleaders handle 12 men squads just fine. Oc it helps if the squadmembers arent the slowest people on the internet.
I don't see any benefits to 12 players over limiting it to 8, but I do see downsides. It takes one sub-par squad leader and the squad will be ineffective, and a couple of sub-par (but not necessarily bad) players and the squad leader has to manage them rather than dealing in tactics.

There are definitely squad leaders than can handle 12 players, though I think handling 12 average public players is less likely. I also think you would end up with plenty of 12 man squads being led by average squad leaders who can't handle the extra players particularly well, and everyone would suffer as a consequence.
AquaticPenguin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #47
MaSSive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
I do sympathise with the people who would prefer servers with a population around 90

there are serious benefits to it, perhaps all 100+ servers should be locked and only used for big events
Interesting idea, about locking and using for events only, considering all said in this thread.

I mean sometimes on some servers even 64p pubbing is disorganized and looks pretty bad, and now imagine that in twice the amount or 128. Sounds like a big clusterF to me.

Maybe not much of an argument but still something to take in consideration.

CATA4TW!
"People never lie so much as before an election, during a war, or after a hunt."
"God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States of America."
― Otto von Bismarck
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #48
Arnoldio
Banned

12 people in the squad is good, if they arent retards, so there is the main problem. 6 man squad means less chance of finding retards.

64v128, if i give a nice school example; If you have a small rotten apple and a big rotten apple, neither of them are edible. Doesnt matter if there is 10 palyers or 1000, if they suck, they suck in any number.

Prople need to start playing PR wither witch brains or heart, or both, then we can have any amount of players and any map avaliable, not just the 4 popular ones.
Arnoldio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #49
Cassius
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticPenguin View Post
I don't see any benefits to 12 players over limiting it to 8, but I do see downsides. It takes one sub-par squad leader and the squad will be ineffective, and a couple of sub-par (but not necessarily bad) players and the squad leader has to manage them rather than dealing in tactics.

There are definitely squad leaders than can handle 12 players, though I think handling 12 average public players is less likely. I also think you would end up with plenty of 12 man squads being led by average squad leaders who can't handle the extra players particularly well, and everyone would suffer as a consequence.
If a squadleader can handle 5 players he can handle 12 just as well. It really depends on the players mostly, how well they respond to a squadleader, but so far I have seen good things on the sisu server. Although it would be ideal if the number of possible squads could be increased.

|TG|cap_Kilgore
Cassius is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #50
AquaticPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnoldio View Post
12 people in the squad is good, if they arent retards, so there is the main problem
I don't think players have to be 'retards' to affect the squad. Just one person not being as co-ordinated, talking on mumble too much/using the wrong key is enough.

Quote:
If a squadleader can handle 5 players he can handle 12 just as well.
Disagreed, 12 players is a much more daunting task, certainly for a less assertive squad leader. Then again, those who may not feel comfortable could just limit the number joining their squad.

Quote:
Although it would be ideal if the number of possible squads could be increased.
Agreed

I guess my objection isn't really based around squad leaders not being able to handle it. My objection is more because why would you have a 12 man squad when you can have more 8 man squads which are more versatile?

I've suggested 8 because it gives modest increase in fire power, can be divided into small fire teams, and you get more squads to behave on a more tactical level. I think intra-squad teamwork breaks down when you have too many players.

Then again maybe I'm just being stubborn. I've also gone quite off-topic... :P
AquaticPenguin is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
128, players, testing