project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
15 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Default Re: 128 Players? Still Testing?

Train all ze troops. For war....

It sucks with all the rain though.

Anyway, 128... Is big and its epic, so long as people are on mumble and they arent being lonewolfs with snipers.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #22
Orford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykogundam View Post
@:OP
When this info gets released, your still gonna have a big problem with maintaining the server. sure there are rules involved now and we can predict when its going to crash and stuff but your still going to have to buy a big server and maintain it and its going to crash often.
Try not to become too frustrated, there will be a payoff eventually for the servers who have suffered, im sure of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]MaSSive View Post
128p code is now PR official project. Its being worked on and once its ready it will be released for all. Unfortunately as most people said here it requires very powerful machine only for himself ( one 128p bf2r server ) or at least one per core, and in my opinion its not worth it.

For this you will need at least quad xeon with 1333Mhz fsb and high clock rates 3Ghz+, and same type of ram, running on headless linux x64. Afaik there is no Windows version, its being worked on linux 64bit.

Running cost for that kind of server is not cheap, and many clans/communities will not be able to afford it. Bottom line, are you starting to get the picture what I'm talking about?

Let it be as it is now, cause that is the best atm.

Just one question, If the above comments are true? Why bother? All this work and all the players that are taken away from other clan servers of normal population types (64 player) If we wont be able to afford it with out a big cost increase and still be crashing, Why bother wasting time on it. To me it seams as its a we do it cos we can not because its adding any thing that will be used in PR once and if clans can afford it.

Just a simple question, not intending to flame, Why bother? atm alot of servers are feeling the pinch of 128 players playing on a server and helping to devolope code that will never be used due to cost and stability as mentioned above.

May be the time could be better spent forcing 64 player servers to crash and debugging them. The clans that run 64 players servers would LOVE to have random crashes fixed before a buggy 128 player server code is released.
Orford is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #23
MaSSive

Valid point Orford, but its like that for now. They are testing it and tweaking so it doesn't crash so often, and maybe use less resources. But I cant see that happen soon. Just look at your server power and its load on core when its full *64p* and then think what would be if you had 64p more on the server. Load on cpu/network. Hm? Heck even club with 128 ppl in would be overloaded...yep depends on its size...

CATA4TW!
"People never lie so much as before an election, during a war, or after a hunt."
"God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States of America."
― Otto von Bismarck
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #24
Orford

I suppose our dedi box could take it, we pay a lot for the beast. It's running 3 PR servers, Teamspeak, Some dig and build game server and hopefully soon ArmA2 and it would still have loads of resources left. Although would like to see some effort going into debugging 64p server files if the brains are around that can do this sort of thing. Help the many who run servers now would be better than helping the few who would be able to afford 128p+ in the future.

Either way good luck with what your doing, moving PR forward is always a good thing.
Orford is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #25
RedWater
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to RedWater Send a message via Skype™ to RedWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NwA*Orford View Post
I suppose our dedi box could take it, we pay a lot for the beast. It's running 3 PR servers, Teamspeak, Some dig and build game server and hopefully soon ArmA2 and it would still have loads of resources left. Although would like to see some effort going into debugging 64p server files if the brains are around that can do this sort of thing. Help the many who run servers now would be better than helping the few who would be able to afford 128p+ in the future.

Either way good luck with what your doing, moving PR forward is always a good thing.
Im fairly confident the problem is not only with the resources, but also with the network connection. I can imagine you need atleast a 1Gb connection on the box to be able to run the 128.

Then again Im not familiar with your guys server.
RedWater is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #26
Jolly

Send a message via Skype™ to Jolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Wicca View Post
Train all ze troops. For war....

It sucks with all the rain though.

Anyway, 128... Is big and its epic, so long as people are on mumble and they arent being lonewolfs with snipers.
Even not 128, there are ppl being lonewolfs with sniper or marksman even anti-tank in 64 mode.
Mumble is epic, but I can't find one single guy when server is full.

BTW, I am much more looking forward PRV!
Jolly is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #27
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I'm really psyched for 128 players, but this transition does represent a bit curve for the PR community,

what I would do if I were a server operator right now is identify another server they'd be willing to work with, to pool their resources and playerbase; because eventually 128 will surely be public and when that day comes you're gonna need to have the hardware and player following to take advantage of it.

Though I do want to see 128 code on other servers asap, simply to see if it actually ports well to other server hardware/software.

But even if every server has the 128 code....I think the community will have to change to meet the challenge. You'll have to work together, there won't be much point for small clan servers outside of PRSP imo; the 128 server will become the standard with a few 80 player servers etc thrown in for those who want a less busy game or don't have the hardware for the full number.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #28
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

More PR players altogheter perhaps?

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #29
Arnoldio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NwA*Orford View Post
Just one question, If the above comments are true? Why bother? All this work and all the players that are taken away from other clan servers of normal population types (64 player) If we wont be able to afford it with out a big cost increase and still be crashing, Why bother wasting time on it. To me it seams as its a we do it cos we can not because its adding any thing that will be used in PR once and if clans can afford it.
Why does Lamborghini make cars? They are very unpredictable, go fast as hell and on top, extremely expensive. Yet they still make them, because they can. Same with 128.
Arnoldio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #30
Orford

Just to clear it up, Im looking forward to the epic large battles. It will bring better balance to large AAS maps that have to few INF squads in relation to heavy assets. Being able to do it with our set of rules when its ready. Keep up the good work. When its ready its ready.

@Arnoldio,

Your thinking has one serious overwhelming unmissable flaw. Lamborghini "SELL" there car`s PR server providers dont charge you to play and the DEV`s dont charge to download and play there game.

Spelling isnt my strong point.
Last edited by Orford; 03-11-2012 at 12:13 PM..

Tags
128, players, testing